ICSA annual conference

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
First Presidency

ICSA annual conference

Post by msnobody »

Below is a link to the annual International Cultic Studies Association annual conference. https://whova.com/web/icsaa_202207/

It seems it is an online event.

I attended one of these in Atlanta a decade or more ago. I was curious if anyone here would find interest in such a conference.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
drumdude
God

Re: ICSA annual conference

Post by drumdude »

Glancing around the website, it looks very similar to what John Dehlin is doing to support people coming out of high demand religions (cults) like Mormonism.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

drumdude wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:07 pm
Glancing around the website, it looks very similar to what John Dehlin is doing to support people coming out of high demand religions (cults) like Mormonism.
The last few days, I’ve been exploring John Dehlin’s information, and just this morning had the same thought. Attending the conference was a great experience for me. It was a Christian apologist that recommended I go. I remember back then being frustrated that there wasn't something like that geared toward former LDS or JWs. They didn't, at the time, view Mormonism as a particularly high demand or coercively persuasive group, cult, except for the polygamous groups.
Last edited by msnobody on Wed May 18, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

msnobody wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:55 pm
drumdude wrote:
The last few days, I’ve been exploring John Dehlin’s information, and just this morning had the same thought. Attending the conference was a great experience for me. It was a Christian apologist that recommended I go. I remember back then being frustrated that there wasn't something like that geared toward former LDS or JWs. They didn't, at the time, particularly view Mormonism as a cult, except for the polygamous groups.
I think the LDS church rides the line of being a cult. Sometimes it goes over that line, sometimes it stays within the boundary. Depends on the ward, family, leaders. Many Mormons have very different experiences throughout the world.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

drumdude wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 5:12 pm
msnobody wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 4:55 pm

The last few days, I’ve been exploring John Dehlin’s information, and just this morning had the same thought. Attending the conference was a great experience for me. It was a Christian apologist that recommended I go. I remember back then being frustrated that there wasn't something like that geared toward former LDS or JWs. They didn't, at the time, particularly view Mormonism as a cult, except for the polygamous groups.
I think the LDS church rides the line of being a cult. Sometimes it goes over that line, sometimes it stays within the boundary. Depends on the ward, family, leaders. Many Mormons have very different experiences throughout the world.
ICSA does serve former members of much, much more higher demand groups. The conference was a great experience for me being able to interact with former members and mental health professionals. I did feel, however, it didn't equip me to help others as much as I would have liked.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

drumdude wrote:
Thank you drumdude. I knew about John Dehlin's Mormon Stories pod casts, but was not aware of of his Mormon Faith Crisis series. I remember leaving the ICSA conference disappointed that there was not a ministry or organization geared toward questioning/former, etc. LDS, JW, etc. That is around the time many of my fellow discussion board posters were navigating through their own faith crisis. I even had a discussion with one of the ICSA staff members and I would have had to either get a psychology and/or Southwest degree at minimum to go into this field (or at least to have any credibility). It didn't help that I was not a former member of any group, but felt, however, and still do feel that I have something to offer. Then, I would have only wanted to specialize in this area. Plus, Meadow Haven and Wellspring were nowhere near where I lived, ICSA was in another state, I live ~1500 miles from UT, etc. I decided that in my long-term interest and financially, it was better to further my nursing education. I never knew Mormonism would have such an impact on my life.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

I want to say too, that I hope there is a next generation of people being groomed to help people navigating a faith crisis, such as with discussion boards, ministries, electronic media, organizations, and the like.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

To offer a different perspective on these kinds of things, for those who want one, please see:

Berzano, L. et al. 2022. "Anti-Cult Ideology and FECRIS: Dangers for Religious Freedom." The Journal of CESNUR 6.3: 3-24.

https://cesnur.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... _issue.pdf
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 3:59 pm
To offer a different perspective on these kinds of things, for those who want one, please see:

Berzano, L. et al. 2022. "Anti-Cult Ideology and FECRIS: Dangers for Religious Freedom." The Journal of CESNUR 6.3: 3-24.

https://cesnur.net/wp-content/uploads/2 ... _issue.pdf
Is this a different perspective? I ask because I'm at work and cannot read the entire publication at this time. Is the message you are trying to convey is that Mormonism does not meet the criteria for the term cult? If so, I tend to agree. I don't want to assume anything, however, and want to understand your perspective.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 4:33 pm
Is this a different perspective? I ask because I'm at work and cannot read the entire publication at this time. Is the message you are trying to convey is that Mormonism does not meet the criteria for the term cult? If so, I tend to agree. I don't want to assume anything, however, and want to understand your perspective.
Yes, it is a different perspective as it calls into question the use of the word cult and the whole industry involved in fighting cults or deprogramming people who allegedly belong to "cults."
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow