ICSA annual conference

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
First Presidency

Re: ICSA annual conference

Post by msnobody »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 5:21 pm
msnobody wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 4:33 pm
Is this a different perspective? I ask because I'm at work and cannot read the entire publication at this time. Is the message you are trying to convey is that Mormonism does not meet the criteria for the term cult? If so, I tend to agree. I don't want to assume anything, however, and want to understand your perspective.
Yes, it is a different perspective as it calls into question the use of the word cult and the whole industry involved in fighting cults or deprogramming people who allegedly belong to "cults."
I think the folks at ICSA would agree, in fact, I think I recognize Massimo Introvigne’s name from some of the conference materials or books I purchased.
I thoroughly enjoyed the conference years ago and was curious as to if anyone else would be interested.

It was very informative, and quite honestly a little overwhelming at times, so much so that one day I had to get in my car and drive for a little while. So disturbing to hear what people have experienced in the name of religion. Met some wonderful people.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

msnobody wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:23 pm
I think the folks at ICSA would agree, in fact, I think I recognize Massimo Introvigne’s name from some of the conference materials or books I purchased.
I thoroughly enjoyed the conference years ago and was curious as to if anyone else would be interested.

It was very informative, and quite honestly a little overwhelming at times, so much so that one day I had to get in my car and drive for a little while. So disturbing to hear what people have experienced in the name of religion. Met some wonderful people.
That's definitely interesting. Most of what I see on the website runs counter to Introvigne's point of view. He is wary if not completely in disagreement with the idea that NRMs are cults and that people can be brainwashed. But the landscape of thought on these things is ever evolving, so there is probably a lot about this that I ought not to make assumptions about.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

There’s a good reason John Dehlin is using the term “high demand religion” instead of cult. Certainly no one within Mormonism is currently giving poison laced kookaid to their children. However, there is a very distinct difference between the amount of control the LDS church exerts over its average member than say, the Catholic Church has over theirs.