How Would We Know of a Spiritual Reality?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: How Would We Know of a Spiritual Reality?

Post by Dr Moore »

Rivendale wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:40 am

Excellent example. However it reminds me of the Grim Reaper paradox. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supertask. This seems to reflect that. If you subdivide things fine enough you can create sawdust that create meaning for anyone.
Nice. I had no idea philosophers spent so much time agonizing over these simple conceptual limit theorems. In math and in physics, the grim reaper paradox, infinite marbles, infinite god barriers and every other version of limit (n—>x) ratio scenarios are resolved in the first 2 minutes of the Calculus AB class lecture on limits.

And by the way, most of these “super tasks” are formulated wrong. If you define a function space for all real numbers less than 1 but not including 1, then of course you get an undefined (vexing) answer at or above 1. I think maybe we need better integration of philosophy with math (and vice verse) in the system.
Last edited by Dr Moore on Fri May 20, 2022 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:58 am

That's to be in my own future... some day. I have every determination to have that experience. After all, that's the point of myths, to give us experience. In that they are the ground truth and reality, even though we don't ever find the gods bones... :D
You do you brother. Offline I can give you a personal reference or two to get you started in a safe manner.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Dr. Moore wrote: the idea itself is like a non-integer real number -- infinite in variation, and inversely the odds of any specific claim being "true" vs "subjective imagination"
this reminds me of one of the more striking examples of Dan Dennett's: tear a piece of paper in half, that raggedly line down each halve fits the other half perfectly. Yet, there's nothing all that special about it, is there? It's not surprising a blue sky is beautiful to the creatures that live under it.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:28 am
Dr. Moore wrote: the idea itself is like a non-integer real number -- infinite in variation, and inversely the odds of any specific claim being "true" vs "subjective imagination"
this reminds me of one of the more striking examples of Dan Dennett's: tear a piece of paper in half, that raggedly line down each halve fits the other half perfectly. Yet, there's nothing all that special about it, is there? It's not surprising a blue sky is beautiful to the creatures that live under it.
Agreed. It is totally surprising the gorgeous blue sky is not even worth noticing to the vast majority of creatures living under it. Carl Sagan's Pale Blue Dot got me out of that ignorance rut of the gorgeous sky.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:18 am
Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:58 am

That's to be in my own future... some day. I have every determination to have that experience. After all, that's the point of myths, to give us experience. In that they are the ground truth and reality, even though we don't ever find the gods bones... :D
You do you brother. Offline I can give you a personal reference or two to get you started in a safe manner.
Thank you. I shall be desiring to get in touch with a real shaman someday. One always needs a guide. One of the coolest books on this I have recently read (within the last year) was the Quantum Physicist Fred Alan Wolf's personal journey and experience, The Eagle's Quest :A Physicist's Search for Truth in the Heart of the Shamanic World.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:33 am
Marcus wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 10:33 pm
:lol: :lol: calling something a fact when it is not? Preach it brother!
Your Procrustean version of what a fact is? Now that is hilarious.

No, I was talking about murky and dark ages, which show an astounding level of ignorance on your part.
Are you two married? Just curious.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Gadianton wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:28 am
In this sense, what successful religious systems like Mormonism do is to define all raggedly tears to mean one and the same thing. As in, if you tear this sheet of paper, and instead of a perfectly straight edge you get a strange raggedly line, that is proof that the paper was created by ancient wood elves of Ea in the first age before man, and therefore you should worship Ea and give the church or Ea of latter-day elves all of your time and talents.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:38 am
Kishkumen wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 2:33 am

Your Procrustean version of what a fact is? Now that is hilarious.

No, I was talking about murky and dark ages, which show an astounding level of ignorance on your part.
The professor is attempting to help the student learn something valuable and all the student wants to do is skateboard to the Beach Boys old songs... :D
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:41 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:38 am

The professor is attempting to help the student learn something valuable and all the student wants to do is skateboard to the Beach Boys old songs... :D
TIL a new word, procrustean.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:34 am
Just like the odds of any specific real number being picked out of a random gap in between any two real numbers is also statistically zero, given infinite possibilities.
And there are more non-integer real numbers than natural numbers. So I guess there are more infinite subjective realities than infinite people?
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri May 20, 2022 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll: