How Would We Know of a Spiritual Reality?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: How Would We Know of a Spiritual Reality?

Post by Marcus »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:41 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:38 am

Are you two married? Just curious.
The professor is attempting to help the student learn something valuable and all the student wants to do is skateboard to the Beach Boys old songs... :D
If you are referring to kishkumen and me, to my best understanding we are BOTH professors at Universities. He is a historian, my area of expertise is in one of the hard sciences. He doesn’t seem to like me much. I’m sure it’s not my gender, but rather my dislikable personality.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Marcus wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:56 am
If you are referring to kishkumen and me, to my best understanding we are BOTH professors at Universities. He is a historian, my area of expertise is in one of the hard sciences. He doesn’t seem to like me much. I’m sure it’s not my gender, but rather my dislikable personality.
I am sure there are good marriage counselors out-there.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Fri May 20, 2022 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 3:55 am
Dr Moore wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 1:34 am
Just like the odds of any specific real number being picked out of a random gap in between any two real numbers is also statistically zero, given infinite possibilities.
And there are more non-integer real numbers than natural numbers. So I guess there are more infinite subjective realities than infinite people?
I hadn’t limited the analogy to people per se, but I suppose each person might be thought of as an infinite microcosm of subjective realities.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Marcus wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:

The professor is attempting to help the student learn something valuable and all the student wants to do is skateboard to the Beach Boys old songs... :D
OK, the suggestion of a Kish/Marcus "marriage" triggers something in me. So let me just jump in here (as one of the non-professor members of the board) with something that has been bothering me for a while.

Based on my observations here (and some elsewhere) I have great respect for both Marcus and Kishkumen. When you two argue, especially in not completely polite terms, I feel like a little kid whose parents are fighting, doesn't understand what the fight is about, and has the horrible feeling that at some point I'm going to have to choose a side.

I know - it's a bit pathetic in a way, but here I am.

I expect that a good part of this is due to the fact that a lot of the discussions here are way above my level of understanding.

Anyway, please carry on.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Marcus wrote:
Philo Sofee wrote:

In this thread I have to say, I would second Marcus’ first comment and brush off whatever it was about “dark ages” that agitated our esteemed reverend. If someone claims that this or that idea about the universe is a “fact” then, accordingly, there must be predictive power to repeatedly making the claimed observation. I don’t see any such thing, as nice as it sounds to claim that for 3 thousand+ years only the lowly of heart (whatever that means, strictly speaking) have been entitled to some form of higher consciousness. Bad science, might make for warm fuzzies but it’s still bad science.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

malkie wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:11 am
Marcus wrote:

OK, the suggestion of a Kish/Marcus "marriage" triggers something in me. So let me just jump in here (as one of the non-professor members of the board) with something that has been bothering me for a while.

Based on my observations here (and some elsewhere) I have great respect for both Marcus and Kishkumen. When you two argue, especially in not completely polite terms, I feel like a little kid whose parents are fighting, doesn't understand what the fight is about, and has the horrible feeling that at some point I'm going to have to choose a side.

I know - it's a bit pathetic in a way, but here I am.

I expect that a good part of this is due to the fact that a lot of the discussions here are way above my level of understanding.

Anyway, please carry on.
Im with you on this. After some epic tangles, i made a conscious decision a very long time ago to not let things get personal. But kishkumen continues to make personal attacks on me if i disagree with him (only if i am agreeable to the point of obsequiousness will he be polite, but that's not a long term solution.) This isn't the first time i've pointed out his baseless attacks and requested he address the topic without the personal insults.
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Don Bradley wrote:
Thu May 19, 2022 6:17 am
Practitioners of contemplative traditions across millennia and around the globe report that, diligently pursued, contemplative practices such as meditation or prayer and associated lives of love ultimately culminate in the knowledge of the transcendent.
At its core, this may be true in a heuristic sense. More time meditating and loving others leads to selflessness, presence, anti-materialism and ultimately, fulfillment. Sounds great. Are we sure there isn’t selection bias in the sample? (Can we be sure that people who spend time in contemplative meditation don’t also become narcissists or serial murderers?)

More to the point at hand, what confuses me is the implicit leap being made from what we are trying to measure to a motivated conclusion. How do we go from a heuristic observation about lives lived with intention, to something that even remotely begins to capture the idea of a spiritual realm? What does any of the lived outcomes teach us, specifically, about a world beyond this one? Isn’t it just more confusing, if atheists and theists achieve the exact same results with the same practices? Arguably, the data only marginalizes God and a spiritual beyond, doesn’t it? And to that question, what to do with the notion that to the most conscious practitioners, religion and religious dogma becomes another “form” (Tolle) to discard?
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Marcus wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 4:23 am
Im with you on this. After some epic tangles, i made a conscious decision a very long time ago to not let things get personal. But kishkumen continues to make personal attacks on me if i disagree with him (only if i am agreeable to the point of obsequiousness will he be polite, but that's not a long term solution.) This isn't the first time i've pointed out his baseless attacks and requested he address the topic without the personal insults.
Well I would hope for a better outcome than contextless personal attacks.
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

By the way, to be clear, I do believe in something beyond the observable physical world. My experience with it is my own subjective reality. I have no idea what it is - I simply don’t know. But that belief remains, however irrational it might be.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr Moore wrote:
Fri May 20, 2022 5:04 am
By the way, to be clear, I do believe in something beyond the observable physical world. My experience with it is my own subjective reality. I have no idea what it is - I simply don’t know. But that belief remains, however irrational it might be.
Why do you have to believe it? Are you highly confident that there is something beyond the observable physical world?

Do you believe that some people see aliens during a DMT trip?

More than half of those who identified as atheist before the experience no longer identified as atheist afterwards. The experiences were rated as among the most meaningful, spiritual, and psychologically insightful lifetime experiences, with persisting positive changes in life satisfaction, purpose, and meaning attributed to the experiences."
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32345112/

"Why people encounter what appear to be non-human entities while on DMT but not on other drugs is currently unknown." https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... ity-part-1
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll: