Compatibility of Science vs Religion

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Rivendale
God

Compatibility of Science vs Religion

Post by Rivendale »

There is an interesting discussion over at Sic et Non https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... 5865963584regarding science and religion that touches on some of the recent topics here. Axelbeingcivil has some interesting deconstructions that might interest people . Here is a sample.
axelbeingcivil
3 days ago
I want to try and respond seriously to the topic of the post, on whether religious and scientific thinking are compatible. I think the place to begin is to ask what the two modes are to begin with.
The scientific method is classically defined as developing models of how the universe runs, spinning off hypotheses that these models generate, and then testing those hypotheses. If the model is not able to account for the results, it has to be discarded. This doesn't propose to give a *true* model, simply a more accurate one; improving with each iterated refinement.
Religious thinking, though, is not so readily defined. Religion is, obviously, extremely broad. If someone proposes a model of the cosmos in which a god, gods, or spirits are involved but then proceeds to test that, are they engaging in religious or scientific thinking?
But that's not the norm, nor what is usually meant by "religious thinking". Religious thinking tends to involve revelation, received wisdom, and philosophical inference. That is, to say, people either receive knowledge from external sources (divine beings or wisdom from ancestors) or infer through thinking extensions from past understanding.
With these in mind, I'd say that there is actually a good deal of incompatibility there. Scientific thinking tends to take the position that all models that fit the evidence equally are equally valid, and models that cannot be tested hold no utility at all. As such, revelation of one form or another has no actual utility in the scientific method; unless you can verify it yourself, it's not all that useful. Likewise, philosophical inference can be useful for hypothesis generation but bears no actual validity unto itself. It can indeed be actively harmful, which is why you get religious philosophers like Aquinas making such enormous assumptions about the nature of light that are patently false and then never feeling a particular need to test it.
All of which is a long way to say that I do think there are some fairly deep incompatibilities here that are worth addressing and resolving.

And here
The scientific method has philosophical underpinnings that are necessary to its success. Anyone can do an experiment and gather data but the actual construction of models and development of new hypotheses requires weighting different kinds of evidence. Model construction requires you to assume, for example, that the universe is consistent; that the conditions that you acquired evidence under now are at least similar to that of when past evidence was generated. It requires you to hold as equal all models that have equal supportive evidence.
Accepting quantum mechanics as fact is not the same thing as scientific thinking. Quantum mechanics is a *discovery*; a product of scientific thinking. Scientific thought is the underlying method that went into the discovery itself, through rigorous study, model generation, and the development of hypotheses.
If a person is of a scientific mindset and ends up experiencing what they consider to be a revelation, they have to consider all models available. One of those models would indeed be that they're receiving divine messages, but they could also be receiving diabolic ones, messages from aliens, messages from elves, messages from other dimensions, etc., or quite simply they could be misinterpreting the inner monologues and feelings their brain generates as coming from an external force. The natural thing to do is to then develop hypotheses for these models and study them because, at the end of the day, their experience is a phenomenon and they cannot actually draw conclusions without additional evidence.
But if you just accept revelation on its face... That's not really how science works.
drumdude
God

Re: Compatibility of Science vs Religion

Post by drumdude »

The mental Lou Midget asserts that Mormonism is actually a testable hypothesis:

“The Book of Mormon is clearly testable” and “the Book of Mormon, since it claims to be an authentic history, can be and has been tested in ways appropriate to a its claim to be genuine history. There are, of course, differences of opinion about the results and soundness of various tests.”
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 9:14 pm
The mental Lou Midget asserts that Mormonism is actually a testable hypothesis:

“The Book of Mormon is clearly testable” and “the Book of Mormon, since it claims to be an authentic history, can be and has been tested in ways appropriate to a its claim to be genuine history. There are, of course, differences of opinion about the results and soundness of various tests.”
Just like Dianetics is testable. The Koran is testable. the Bible is testable. And there is real magic when you place the Book of Mormon in the Mesoamerican setting.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

His great civility notwithstanding, I wouldn't go all in on his definition. It's great for that forum though, and I see that Gemli is causing frustrations as well. Even if religion and science are compatible, nobody from the science+religion-Mormonism side is taking any interest in Mormonism. Mormonism isn't getting "discovered" by anybody who isn't already a devout believer.
Kiwi wrote:The apparent incompatibility arises from a category error. If some method M cannot test the results of some other method N, it is not sufficient to then say that M must reject the results of N. All it means is that N deals with a different set of problems than M.
in his particle accelerator example, he could have also made the point that even with the LHC in its lane, not very many of us will ever have the possibility of personally confirming anything going on there.

Anyway, I wouldn't say that Kiwi is wrong, but there's some big implications if you want religion to be a method. DCP sometimes says religion is something categorically different than science. Kiwi either doesn't appreciate that a real "category" difference implies testing and methods don't make sense in that category, or he parts ways with DCP, which is a big possibility.

DCP has given examples of non-scientific categories that we would be okay with in the past, like carpentry. Okay, carpentry isn't a science. But, you can apply science and similar methodology to carpentry. Can you do that with religion?

That's a fork in the road, because those who say "yes" will be on the hook for results, of some kind, and can't use typical postmodern defenses.

Kiwi himself long ago denied that the Lord said the Church is the only true church in the sense of conjecture-proof, but rather it's "true as an arrow" -- postmodern truth.

If religion has its own set of methods, such as reading; prayer; confirmation, then a great deal of formalization is on the table including controlled experiments and very few people want to go there.

One of the reasons I say I'm open to "spirituality" of some kind, but have no interest in pursuing it, is that assuming it's not epiphenomenal, it's really difficult to advance a world of spiritual knowledge and generate a list of spiritual experiences without thinking about how to mechanize the process. If I felt inspired on Tuesday about the keys location, I should be able to think about what I'd been doing and the conditions of that day and repeat the process next time I lose keys. I should be able to rule out when prayer work and I just got lucky. I should be able to cross reference my experience with others who have also lost keys -- you get the idea. There are spiritualists and occultists who are open to a scientific pursuit of the spirit world. Books have been written about the controlled practice of magic. Many Mormons believe Alma 32 says that getting a testimony works just like Axel says science work. So if there is method to religion, let's see the work the apologists have put into figuring that out?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

It’s a category difference when they need it to be, and not when they don’t. The arguments are never consistent and morph to fit whoever they are arguing with at the moment. It can even vary sentence by sentence. Which is why DCP in his old age now just picks out a single sentence and responds with 3-4 hastily cobbled words that do nothing to engage in discussion.

He’s too busy ruminating about the quality of airline food to spare any brain cells for novel apologetic ideas.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

I thought the dagger was when Axel wrote that they are mutually incompatible.
Well, they ostensibly are incompatible on some level there. Scientific reasoning would force you to reject revelation, for example, as a valid source of knowledge, since it's untestable. Likewise, if you take revelations as necessarily true, you'd not abandon them no matter what testing revealed.
This of course is Muhlestein's modus operandi. When he claims he starts with the assumption it is true then fills in the facts that support it.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Why is revelation untestable?

You can make the argument that ad hoc saves will follow and apologists will never admit defeat, but sometimes they do.

Many revelations can't be tested, but sometimes they can be.
High Spy
2nd Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

Gadianton wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 10:08 pm
Why is revelation untestable?

You can make the argument that ad hoc saves will follow and apologists will never admit defeat, but sometimes they do.

Many revelations can't be tested, but sometimes they can be.
Like when someone invited his Spirit to answer with a 7.3 magnitude earthquake.
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Like when someone invited his Spirit to answer with a 7.3 magnitude earthquake
And like when a dog chewing on an ear appeared on Mount Olympus.
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

You can just as well ask whether math and physics are compatible, or physics and biology, or chemistry and psychology, or biology and economics. I can follow the kind of reasoning that historians use, and it makes great sense to me, but I'm not going to try to model ancient China with harmonic oscillators. I don't believe there is a scientific way of thinking. There is sensible thinking. It can be applied to different kinds of problems.

In my thirty years in academic physics I have only even heard scientific method mentioned a handful of times—and then only to laugh wryly about how we never mention it. There's a lot of technology and a lot of math, but no special scientific way of thinking in physics. It's not a game that has to be played according to certain conventions. The only rules are common sense.

Physics isn't more productive than any other disciplines because of our special scientific way of thinking. Physics is the study of the simplest things. In the big team of people searching for dropped keys, we're the people who got assigned to look right under the lamppost. We might not find the keys but we can tell you a lot about what's in our assigned patch of street. We don't have specially clever tactics for searching. We're just looking like everyone else. We happen to have better light.

Are the tactics you use to search under the lamppost compatible with the tactics you use to find keys in dark alleys? In some ways and up to some points, sure they are; in other ways, no they're not. Searching in the dark and searching under the light are not totally unrelated activities, but they do have different circumstances.

It's maybe worth noting that natural scientists—especially physicists—have a poor track record in recognising fraud by people claiming paranormal powers. James Randi didn't have any peer-reviewed scientific publications, as far as I know, but he was a lot better at catching charlatans than I'll ever be. Maybe we should be asking whether stage magic and religion are compatible.
I was a teenager before it was cool.