Quoting from the Book of Abraham

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
slskipper
Sunbeam

Quoting from the Book of Abraham

Post by slskipper »

Just a question: when was the last time a GA quoted directly or indirectly from the Book of Abraham? It's almost like they don't actually believe in it...
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Quoting from the Book of Abraham

Post by Philo Sofee »

I am personally not sure, but it will be because of the Premortal Existence teaching. They never will touch the papyri or facsimiles or actual meanings of the hieroglyphs as Joseph Smith taught. They just cherry pick it, as usual.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

In Sunday school it was used often to justify the premortal existence. I think philo is exactly right that they still teach the doctrine, but shy away from directly referencing it as coming from the Pearl of Great Price. They’ll just say it’s “from the scriptures.”
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:54 am
slskipper wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:52 am
Just a question: when was the last time a GA quoted directly or indirectly from the Book of Abraham? It's almost like they don't actually believe in it...
I am personally not sure, but it will be because of the Premortal Existence teaching. They never will touch the papyri or facsimiles or actual meanings of the hieroglyphs as Joseph Smith taught. They just cherry pick it, as usual.

Holland vs Sweeny
Holland: All I'm saying...all I'm saying is that what got translated got translated into the word of God. The vehicle for that I do not understand and don't claim to know and know Egyptian.