Church sanctioned apologetics/apologists and other thoughts

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: Church sanctioned apologetics/apologists and other thoughts

Post by Doctor Scratch »

msnobody wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 1:12 am
Regarding John Dehlin’s pre-disciplinary council recording, I think I heard the stake president (?) say that if Mr. Dehlin resigned from church membership, it would be announced to the stake or at stake level. Are all person’s who resign membership— is it announced at stake level?
No—that would have been quite an anomaly, but Dehlin has always been an anomaly. I think that Church leadership would have ex’ed him a lot sooner, but he had a large following and he also had connections within the Church hierarchy.

The Mopologists have always tried to portray John Dehlin as a “wolf in sheep’s clothing,” but I don’t think that’s accurate—I think that Dehlin’s desire to help struggling Mormons has always been sincere. The problem is that Dehlin has also always laid a sizable chunk of the blame on the Church itself, and that’s a big No-No. According to orthodoxy, the Church is perfect and never does anything wrong. So, if you’re troubled by polygamy, or MMM, of the Book of Abraham, then it’s your fault for being weak and stupid. There is no middle ground for either the institutional Church, or it’s apologists.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14