Interpreter apologists wrestle with Nephi’s transoceanic vessel

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
canpakes
God

Re: Interpreter apologists wrestle with Nephi’s transoceanic vessel

Post by canpakes »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:47 am
Gadianton wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:21 pm
I agree. I doubt MG had a faith crisis. If he did, it was superficial.
Yes I did. And no, it wasn’t superficial.

It wasn’t pretty.

MG, what does that mean? I don’t imagine that you devolved into a state of homelessness, madly huffing in the alleyway between the Ace Hardware and the laundromat, and surviving off dumpster diving. I’m figuring on a more muted amount of ‘wasn’t pretty’-ness. Like, not like this guy -

Why are folks either unwilling or unable to believe that a person who is a natural skeptic and has gone through a long period of doubt and having had a full blown faith crisis could come to a point that they believe again?

Is it THAT hard?

Outside of certain catalysts that could move you in that direction - such as a terminal disease, death of a close loved one, or birthing triplets - it’s not easy to imagine that scenario. For me, putting aside the practical knowledge drawn from a skeptical reassessment of religion in favor of concluding that only one highly specific version of religion holds the key to your future would be like trying to forget how to ride a bicycle.
Tator
CTR B

Post by Tator »

MG's wife caught him with a Snapple and then she straightened his a$$ out. End of faith crisis.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Tator wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:09 am
MG's wife caught him with a Snapple and then she straightened his a$$ out. End of faith crisis.
Im pretty sure it was coffee flavored ice cream
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:51 am
Shulem wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:12 pm
…he has his imaginary Jesus (toy dolly) and his imaginary Heavenly Father (blanket) to think about to comfort him.
Dead wrong.

Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. God is our Father and we are accountable to Him. And where much is given much is expected. You have left the strait and narrow path and are trying to convince others to do so.

You will be held accountable for your actions at the judgement bar of God.

I know that to be true.

Regards,
MG
:roll: Also mentalgymnast: (the brackets removed another name and inserted his own.)
MG 2.0 wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:13 pm

That’s the thing….[ I ] act in righteous indignation while at the same time [ I ] may be, well, who knows? A scumbag of some sort? A pervert? An anarchist? A wife beater?

Albeit one that can come across on a message board such as this with ‘moral authority’ and absolute knowledge and inherent trustworthiness.

I’m not making any ACTUAL judgement on [ myself]. I’m speaking hypothetically. But for any one of us to give the moral high ground to ANYONE on this board is risky business.

What gives [ me ] the inherent right or responsibility to judge [anyone]? All [I’m ] really doing is dissing him…

Again, what moral authority does an anonymous poster have to pass judgment on another?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:51 am
Shulem wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 7:12 pm
…he has his imaginary Jesus (toy dolly) and his imaginary Heavenly Father (blanket) to think about to comfort him.
Dead wrong.

Jesus is the Christ, the Son of the Living God. God is our Father and we are accountable to Him. And where much is given much is expected. You have left the strait and narrow path and are trying to convince others to do so.

You will be held accountable for your actions at the judgement bar of God.

I know that to be true.

Regards,
MG

Religion. :roll: That is what you have, MG. It doesn't scare me. Threats about the judgement bar don't scare me either. It's a religious scare tactic to try and get people to conform to religion. That doesn't work with me. I'm over that. Way beyond falling for the oldest trick in the book: Threats of hellfire and punishment! :lol:

Look, you want (through faith) your Jesus and your make-believe Heavenly Father to be real; just as real as those logs on Nephi's beach which the Church trucked in on the flat-bed of a diesel truck in order to make a movie. It's all about faith in things you can't see and how one feels about it. You have no proof of anything. Nor have you seen Jesus or Heavenly Father. It's all faith in something you can't see or prove. Timbers were not growing in the mountains of Bountiful. Never mind the fantasy in it all! Just have faith. There, there, a little pat on the head and it’s all better now. Just believe.

Jesus Christ is no more a Savior than there is a king's name in the writing of Facsimile No. 3 nor did Heavenly Father appear to Smith anymore that Abraham is sitting on Osiris’s throne. Smith was a liar and that is what he did best. Scare the people into believing in a God who will judge and flame for not doing what he commands.

So, where are those timbers? Where did they come from? I'll tell you where they came from: The imagination of Joseph Smith's own mind. Just like the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3. Hocus pocus nonsense.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

canpakes wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:59 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:47 am

Yes I did. And no, it wasn’t superficial.

It wasn’t pretty.

MG, what does that mean?
Just what I said. A long period of ‘a dark night of the soul’. Living in a world without REAL meaning.

Did I come back BECAUSE I wanted to come back and maintain a comfort level of BEING so as to keep harmony in my family/community? Partially. At first. But there was more to it than that.

As I went through the period of my life in which I doubted the existence of God I must say that there was a certain sense of liberation and freedom that came with it. But also a profound sadness.

But as I returned to belief in a creator God I found that the freedom/growth maintained through obedience to God’s law and commandments was of greater magnitude and had greater meaning than making up my own stuff.

I do enough of that anyway. 😄

Regards,
MG
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:05 pm
canpakes wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:59 am

MG, what does that mean?
Just what I said. A long period of ‘a dark night of the soul’. Living in a world without REAL meaning.

Did I come back BECAUSE I wanted to come back and maintain a comfort level of BEING so as to keep harmony in my family/community? Partially. At first. But there was more to it than that.

As I went through the period of my life in which I doubted the existence of God I must say that there was a certain sense of liberation and freedom that came with it. But also a profound sadness.

But as I returned to belief in a creator God I found that the freedom/growth maintained through obedience to God’s law and commandments was of greater magnitude and had greater meaning than making up my own stuff.

I do enough of that anyway. 😄

Regards,
MG
Thank you for the amazing testimony. I too traveled through dark times when there wasn't a magic penny (the obvious secret to the universe) to guide me through a wilderness of thirst for meaning. Then, I planted a desire to believe seed in my wallet, holding onto the magic penny, nourishing my belief in it by refusing to doubt the magic of the penny .... and there I was, in a bus station, on my way to the last stop to nowhere land, and I got a feeling so strong that magical goodness has comforted my soul ever since ..... Believe in the penny, the magic penny, and don't be afraid to mix in a few true principles humans have discovered over time, like family, and doing good for people, etc. and that my friend is a key to a meaningful life, if you have the guts to believe it. Otherwise, good luck!

Is this kinda similar to your experience, except just substitute "magic penny" for "cojcolds?"
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Schreech
CTR A

Post by Schreech »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:16 pm

Thank you for the amazing testimony. I too traveled through dark times when there wasn't a magic penny (the obvious secret to the universe) to guide me through a wilderness of thirst for meaning. Then, I planted a desire to believe seed in my wallet, holding onto the magic penny, nourishing my belief in it by refusing to doubt the magic of the penny .... and there I was, in a bus station, on my way to the last stop to nowhere land, and I got a feeling so strong that magical goodness has comforted my soul ever since ..... Believe in the penny, the magic penny, and don't be afraid to mix in a few true principles humans have discovered over time, like family, and doing good for people, etc. and that my friend is a key to a meaningful life, if you have the guts to believe it. Otherwise, good luck!

Is this kinda similar to your experience, except just substitute "magic penny" for "cojcolds?"

Magic penny is the Christ, the Son of the Almighty Nickel. Penny is our Creator and we are accountable to THE Penny. And where much is given much is expected. MG has left the strait and narrow path and is trying to convince others to do so.

He will be held accountable for his actions at the judgement bar of THE Penny.

I know that to be true.

Regards,
Schreech

(yea MG, that's how absurd you sound trying to convince yourself you haven't wasted your life in blind devotion to the magical space polygamist you have been conditioned to believe in having never experienced any other religion, I'm sad for you but will gladly welcome you back into loving,coppery embrace of THE Penny when you realize the error of your misguided ways...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lGs4YiMq0c
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I personally like to worship the Sun. Like George Carlin said, it's nice that you can actually see the Sun. That's important to me, being able to actually know the object of worship exists. :lol: