"Mormon Interpreter" Argues that LGBTQ+ Leads to "spiritual death and damnation"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: "Mormon Interpreter" Argues that LGBTQ+ Leads to "spiritual death and damnation"

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:29 am
I read an interesting Facebook exchange tonight between Dr. Peterson and Ortner on why people leave the church. Ortner, replying to a blog post on the topic by Peterson, wrote: “I think you are generally correct that most often people drift to inactivity. But my anecdotal impression is that an increasing number of people (myself included) are leaving because of historical or doctrinal concerns.” Seems to be a recent move.
Tom,

Is that Daniel Ortner, author of several Interpreter articles? Is he really leaving the Church? If so, WOW!

https://interpreterfoundation.org/autho ... background.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Tom
Area Authority

Re: "Mormon Interpreter" Argues that LGBTQ+ Leads to "spiritual death and damnation"

Post by Tom »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:35 am
Tom wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:29 am
I read an interesting Facebook exchange tonight between Dr. Peterson and Ortner on why people leave the church. Ortner, replying to a blog post on the topic by Peterson, wrote: “I think you are generally correct that most often people drift to inactivity. But my anecdotal impression is that an increasing number of people (myself included) are leaving because of historical or doctrinal concerns.” Seems to be a recent move.
Tom,

Is that Daniel Ortner, author of several Interpreter articles? Is he really leaving the Church? If so, WOW!

Yes. He seems to be a Christian of some sort now.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tom wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:45 am

Tom,

And quite possibly a chronic gambler.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Tom wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:45 am

Tom,

Tyler Livingston and now Daniel Ortner? It has been quite a week for apologists leaving the Church.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

He was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from June 2009 to January 2023.
Wow!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

The Facebook exchange I refer to is on Dr. Peterson's Facebook page (underneath his link to his latest SeN post on why people leave the church).
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:55 am
The Facebook exchange I refer to is on Dr. Peterson's Facebook page (underneath his link to his latest SeN post on why people leave the church).
He references "historical and doctrinal concerns."

I would be interested to know which ones in particular were concerning him.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I would also like to point out that I am really having a difficult time resonating with his move to some form or Protestant Christianity.

I just don't see it.

With all respect to my lovely Christian friends. Great people.

But Protestantism just doesn't do it for me.

Sorry to be stalkerish, Daniel Ortner, but "Bible-led Christian"?

You have got to be kidding me.

Again, no offense to Christian friends. But . . . not my cup of tea.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Tom wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:55 am
Off topic, but you’re from Ophir, Utah? That’s cool. I went up through your town a number of months back and went out the other end of town, through the cow herd on the road, and ended up at Lion’s Loop Trailhead. I went up the trail a ways and then thought a bit about the name of the trail and the fact that I was alone. I turned around and went back. I didn’t finish the loop.

Beautiful little what used to be a mining town. There was a guy mowing his small patch of grass on a John Deere at his house across the street from the outdoor mining museum.

Was that you? 😄

Cool place.

Regards,
MG
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

More stream of consciousness reactions to the latest announcement regarding a defected apologist.

I would have to say that if I were to devote myself to a new religion, it would have to be some form of Christian orthodoxy or maybe a more strictly monotheistic sect.

The Protestant sentimental Jesus really does not work for me. Sort of like that whole cultish fad about flicking on the Holy Ghost switch at every LDS meeting back in the early 2000s. Not only do I think things do not work that way, but anyone who imagines the kind of robotic, saccharine platitudes repetitively intoned in hushed voices is invoking the power of Deity is, in my humble opinion, on the wrong track.

I remember a fellow saying to me that what passed as Christianity in most corners was nothing of the kind. While I don't strictly agree with him and found his comments to be too judgmental and dismissive, I also see that he had something of a point. Certainly it is not my idea of Christianity.

And then I am not sure I really like Christianity as it developed. The form we encounter it in the New Testament canon doesn't appeal to me. A lot of Paul, including the authentic epistles, well, I just don't like it, really. I increasingly think that Paul was an interloper who hijacked the Jesus Movement in one of the most successful religious sales jobs in history. On the one hand, brilliant move, and, on the other hand, what a prick!