"Mormon Interpreter" Argues that LGBTQ+ Leads to "spiritual death and damnation"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: "Mormon Interpreter" Argues that LGBTQ+ Leads to "spiritual death and damnation"

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:44 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:24 am
Happy Pride Month, everyone!
With all the Pride fear and Pride suppression on campus these days, bans on rainbow flags and pins and the like, it hardly seems plausible that the Interpreter crew released this particular review on this particular Friday by accident. Wow. Just wow. A new low, maybe?

I see Interpreter continues its own Proud tradition of putting the FAIR in Pharisee. Sickening, some of the things those people will put in print to score brownie points with the brethren. Just sickening.
Indeed, Dr. Moore. The President of the Interpreter Foundation is busy typing up dispatches from his European cruise-vacation while the organization that he oversees is kicking off Pride Month by telling LDS LGBTQ+ that, in effect, they're "going to hell." This is without a doubt one of their lowest ebbs.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Re: "Mormon Interpreter" Argues that LGBTQ+ Leads to "spiritual death and damnation"

Post by Moksha »

The Interpreter, by showing their disdain for LGBTQ members makes a case for the Brethren that they are firing their muskets and should be reinstated as the ruling regime at the Maxwell Institute.

The proof of their worthiness for reinstatement lies in sharing the same hatred as the Brethren. "We attack for you, so we need our old fortress back and our musket fire can be twice as effective."
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:17 am
I call B.S. on DCP supporting conversion therapy.
You could be right. Maybe DCP has given up supporting conversion therapy and now only believes the gays will suffer spiritual death and damnation (per the Interpreter article).

Maybe his many decades’s long public homophobic writings and opinions are a thing of the past. Maybe DCP’s recent SeN post criticizing Amazon for removing books that support conversion therapy really didn’t reflect his views.

Stranger things have happened.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:24 pm
Maybe DCP’s recent SeN post criticizing Amazon for removing books that support conversion therapy really didn’t reflect his views.
Ah, that's right--I remember that. I think he tried to frame the whole thing as a defense of "free speech," no? A classic instance of "choose your battles wisely," maybe? And this is completely setting aside the fact that he's banned dozens of people from commenting on his blog.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Perhaps unsurprisingly, some of the more militant and extremist supporters of Mopologetics have been drawn out of the woodwork by this article:
Robert F. Smith wrote:While it is true that Blaire Ostler’s disregard for and intolerance of Latter-day Saint orthodoxy is regrettable, it is also true that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has come to accept the fact that same-sex marriage is now Constitutional – while previously attempting to prevent its legal acceptance within our pluralistic civil society.

Just as a previous generation rejected Latter-day Saint plural marriage, and managed to have it declared illegal (as part of the “twin relics of barbarism,” polygamy and slavery), so now once again we must face the ironic tendency of a “dominant” culture to dictate its own version of Sharia Law. For those of us who take Lehi’s Law of Opposition seriously (II Nephi 2), the message of free choice should be clear: Preach all you want, but no coercion can be permitted. Not upon the Church, nor upon the individual. Just loving boundary maintenance, when necessary.

Blaire Ostler’s failure to accept that reality may be unfortunate, but she has voted with her feet. We should wish her well, while realizing that her theologizing is simply absurd.
Rozy wrote:We live in a sick and depraved world when garbage such as this is published and praised. I’d like to be a fly on the wall when the author stands at the bar of judgement. Goodness, what a mess! Thanks for exposing and explaining. Keep up the good work.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:03 pm
Perhaps unsurprisingly, some of the more militant and extremist supporters of Mopologetics have been drawn out of the woodwork by this article:
Robert F. Smith wrote:… Just loving boundary maintenance, when necessary.
QFT. But I think in practice the Mopologists want this to be a one sided ask.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Robert F. Smith wrote: While it is true that Blaire Ostler’s disregard for and intolerance of Latter-day Saint orthodoxy is regrettable, it is also true that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has come to accept the fact that same-sex marriage is now Constitutional...
Orthodox LDS railed against the Brown v Little Rock Board of Education decision for 30 years after the fact. Dallin Oaks probably still has fond dreams of wistfully arguing against it before the Supreme Court. As long as there are still homophobic bones left in the Brethren's bodies, the faithful will not let go.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:24 pm
Maybe DCP’s recent SeN post criticizing Amazon for removing books that support conversion therapy really didn’t reflect his views.
I had no idea about that!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Agreeing with Kish here...this is dreary business. Still looking forward to the day when the Church reverses course on this. It'll be interesting to see how the "orthodox", as Ortner delineates it, adapt.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

I read an interesting Facebook exchange tonight between Dr. Peterson and Ortner on why people leave the church. Ortner, replying to a blog post on the topic by Peterson, wrote: “I think you are generally correct that most often people drift to inactivity. But my anecdotal impression is that an increasing number of people (myself included) are leaving because of historical or doctrinal concerns.” Peterson replied: “I think that’s true, and, as you know, I also think it deeply, deeply unfortunate and a mistake. Just for the record.” Ortner’s departure seems to be a recent move.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857