“Such things simply must not be forgotten”: An Opportunity for Reflection at “SeN”

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Re: “Such things simply must not be forgotten”: An Opportunity for Reflection at “SeN”

Post by Marcus »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:49 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:48 am
A great response, Dr. Robbers. DCP is fond of throwing “atheist regimes” in Gemli’s face, but the quote he translates and offers here is clearly a call for him to reflect on his own place in all of this—and the role of his comrades. Sure, he can point to the Holocaust or Stalinist Russia, but staring him right back in the face are MMM, Mark Hoffman, the Lafferty murders, and so on. And just like the neo-Nazi in his story, he too is capable of being “charming.”
Don’t forget that BY’s bodyguard, Porter Rockwell, assassinated ~140 people and was proud of that fact. The ‘prophet’ had people murdered in pursuit of consolidating his grip on Deseret.

- Doc
Oh dear god, every time i think i have lesrned the worst about this cult in which i was raised ..
...At Rockwell's funeral, apostle Joseph F. Smith, nephew of Joseph Smith and future church president, spoke the following about Rockwell:

They say he was a murderer; if he was, he was the friend of Joseph Smith and Brigham Young, and he was faithful to them, and to his covenants, and he has gone to Heaven and apostates can go to Hell ...

Mother of God. What a damned cult.

Once again, i am reminded that my greatest accomplishment of my life is getting out of this cult and giving my children an opportunity to live a normal (and FAR superior) life.
Gadianton
God

Re: “Such things simply must not be forgotten”: An Opportunity for Reflection at “SeN”

Post by Gadianton »

Thanks for the quote, Marcus, I don't remember seeing it before.

Now that is a great example of Divine Command Theory in action in Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

DP wrote: I note that I’m being accused by the usual small handful of people of ignoring the Mountain Meadows Massacre while I’m posting about Nazi concentration camps and, I guess, of suggesting that religious people in general, or Latter-day Saints in particular, do not commit evil deeds. Or something like that.

Reading the Oxford book Massacre at Mountain Meadows, by Ron Walker and Rick Turley and Glen Leonard, when it first came out many years ago, I felt as if I were seeing a Greek tragedy unfold. There was a certain inexorable logic to what ultimately happened — a horrible logic, obviously, but one in which it made a certain degree of sense, after one bad step had been taken, to take the next one. I found myself wanting to scream “No! Stop!” while knowing what the outcome was inevitably going to be.

It's almost like DP is describing exactly what can happen in a world where God does not exist, or if he does, chooses not to intervene. God can appear in a grove to Joseph Smith, but save the innocent? No, no. Free agency must be upheld!

Once again, we see God choosing to hide himself and make it look as if Mormonism is a fraud to any objective outside observers.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:25 pm
The Mountain Meadows Massacre certainly isn’t the Restoration’s finest hour. It’s anything but faith-promoting. But it shouldn’t be exploited as a weapon against the Church or against religious belief, either. It’s too complex to be reducible to a self-serving slogan on a partisan bumper sticker.
-_-

Why do Mormons speak like this? It’s so tiresome, to read vauguespeech that is written to blur fact, diminish sin, and to create moral plausibility. It’s pretty gross, and it’s sad to see a man who once held such promise, promise framed in a yearbook from those hallowed days, glowing with potential, hailing from San Gabriel HS, to render a talent into quackery and hackery. What a shame. He should’ve gone into medicine. :/

- Doc
Orwell is a far truer prophet than Nelson, Hinckley, and Monson was combined... this sort of Mormon doublespeak should not surprise us. After all, they are beholden and enslaved by "The System," in this case, the religious system which holds their brains hostage. It is positively Orwellian, and Mormons fit right into it. Don''t make it a bumper sticker eh? Why wasn't that the idea behind "I am a Mormon" online brainwashing campaign? Why NOT make it a bumper sticker slogan, when I see the picture of the Angel Moroni in bumper stickers?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Unsurprisingly, he’s missing the point. His reaction to the Holocaust sites is solemnity and “this should never be forgotten.” With MMM in the other hand, he acknowledges that “Gee, this wasn’t Mormonism’s finest hour” and then engages in a whole bunch of hand-wringing about how the incident is “misunderstood,” etc. Well, is MMM “simply one of those things that must not be forgotten” or what?

It’s just like I said: he’s similar to the neo-Nazi tour guide in the way that he downplays this horrific incident. Plus, as I also pointed out, he rather gleefully posted Jim Bennett’s mocking commentary about UtBoH/the Lafferty murders.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Yale social psychologist Stanley Milgram, PhD, conducted an experiment whose purpose was supposedly to study the effects of punishment on learning. The experimenter told the subject that his job was to teach a learner in an adjacent room to memorize a list of word-pairs, and every time the learner made an error, the teacher-subject was to punish the learner by giving him increasingly severe shocks by pressing levers on a shock machine. There were 30 levers whose shock values ranged from a low of 15 volts to the maximum of 450 volts. (In actuality, no electric shock was involved. The "learner" was an actor who only pretended receiving them, but the subject did not know this.) Despite the learner's increasingly pitiful screams and pleas to stop, a majority of subjects (over 60%) obeyed the experimenter's commands to continue and ended up giving the maximum "shock" of 450 volts.
I’m reminded of the electroshock “therapy” BYU subjected homosexuals to some decades back. The willingness of sadists to use authority for a broader aim is distressing, but perhaps even more distressing are those who subject themselves to the “authority” of those who would abuse them and others.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:56 am
Unsurprisingly, he’s missing the point. His reaction to the Holocaust sites is solemnity and “this should never be forgotten.” With MMM in the other hand, he acknowledges that “Gee, this wasn’t Mormonism’s finest hour” and then engages in a whole bunch of hand-wringing about how the incident is “misunderstood,” etc. Well, is MMM “simply one of those things that must not be forgotten” or what?

It’s just like I said: he’s similar to the neo-Nazi tour guide in the way that he downplays this horrific incident. Plus, as I also pointed out, he rather gleefully posted Jim Bennett’s mocking commentary about UtBoH/the Lafferty murders.
And if I remember correctly Jim Bennett is simply not the kind of Mormon Peterson/Midgley would want to actually be friends with and hang around with together and author books with either... if this is the same Jim Bennett I am thinking of, it is highly unlikely Peterson would endorse Bennett's take on the unique Mormon scriptures.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

(sung slowly and reverently)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MEJM0cboDg
Oh, they’ve got no time for glory in the C. O. B.

Oh, they’ve got no use for praises loudly sung,

But in every Mormon’s heart in all the C. O. B.

Shines the name, shines the name of Peter Son.

Shines the name — Peter Son,

Fought and cried for the men he blogged among.

To the everlasting glory of the C. O. B.

Lives the story of Doctor Peter Son.

Caught in ambush lay a company of 'pologists —

Just words against the meme-guns in the gloom —

Caught in ambush till this one of twenty 'pologists

Volunteered, volunteered to meet his doom.

Volunteered — Peter Son!

In the everlasting annals of the C. O. B.

Glows the last blog of Doctor Peter Son.

It was he who drew the fire of the enemy

That a company of men might live to fight;

And before the deadly fire of the enemy

Stood the man, stood the man we hail tonight.

Stood the man — Peter Son,

Like the everlasting courage of the C. O. B.

Was the last blog of Doctor Peter Son.

On the island of Antelope in the Great Salt Lake,

Stands a simple wooden cross alone to tell

That beneath the silent coral of the Great Salt Lake,

Sleeps a man, sleeps a man remembered well.

Sleeps a man — Peter Son,

In the everlasting spirit of the C. O. B.

Breathes the spirit of Doctor Peter Son.

No, they’ve got no time for glory in the C. O. B.,

No, they’ve got no use for praises loudly sung,

But in every 'pologist’s heart in all the C. O. B.

Shines the name, shines the name of Peter Son.

Shines the name — Peter Son,

To the everlasting glory of the C. O. B.

Lives the story of Doctor Peter Son.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:29 pm
DP wrote: I note that I’m being accused by the usual small handful of people of ignoring the Mountain Meadows Massacre while I’m posting about Nazi concentration camps and, I guess, of suggesting that religious people in general, or Latter-day Saints in particular, do not commit evil deeds. Or something like that.

Reading the Oxford book Massacre at Mountain Meadows, by Ron Walker and Rick Turley and Glen Leonard, when it first came out many years ago, I felt as if I were seeing a Greek tragedy unfold. There was a certain inexorable logic to what ultimately happened — a horrible logic, obviously, but one in which it made a certain degree of sense, after one bad step had been taken, to take the next one. I found myself wanting to scream “No! Stop!” while knowing what the outcome was inevitably going to be.

It's almost like DP is describing exactly what can happen in a world where God does not exist, or if he does, chooses not to intervene. God can appear in a grove to Joseph Smith, but save the innocent? No, no. Free agency must be upheld!

Once again, we see God choosing to hide himself and make it look as if Mormonism is a fraud to any objective outside observers.
The difference between your God and me is I would stop a rape of a child if I could. Tracy Harris
rockslider
Nursery

Post by rockslider »

A black man being hung by kkk comes to mind