Netflix series: Keep sweet pray and obey

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Netflix series: Keep sweet pray and obey

Post by drumdude »

I highly recommend it even though it’s very hard to watch. I’m sure if Joseph Smith’s victims could speak to us today, they would say the exact same things that the wives of Roland and Warren Jeffs say in the show.

Polygamy is not just an embarrassment for the Mormon church. Its integral to understanding the psychopathy of Joseph Smith. It’s the core of Mormonism, and it’s still practiced by the current leader of the mainstream Mormon church.
Vēritās
God

Re: Netflix series: Keep sweet pray and obey

Post by Vēritās »

I wish I had seen this thread before, I started a thread about it in another forum. What got me misty was listening to audio clips of Warren raping a 12 year old girl. Authorities broken into their temple and then the vault in the basement which contained all sorts of marriage records and audio tapes. Why in the world keep something like that on audio?
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal ...(there are) mentally challenged people with special needs like myself- Ajax18
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:09 pm
Polygamy is not just an embarrassment for the Mormon church. Its integral to understanding the psychopathy of Joseph Smith.
I wouldn’t go that far. Polygamy is simply the justification he used in order to get laid by women other than his wife.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:29 pm
drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 6:09 pm
Polygamy is not just an embarrassment for the Mormon church. Its integral to understanding the psychopathy of Joseph Smith.
I wouldn’t go that far. Polygamy is simply the justification he used in order to get laid by women other than his wife.
You think it was purely libido and not power?
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I think it had to be sex and power. He demanded to be with other men's wives, claiming God commanded it, implying that these men had to submit to his authority.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Not only did he say God commanded him to be an adulterer, he made it a requirement for his followers to all become adulterers to get into Super VIP heaven.

Oh and add in trading 13 and 14 year old girls to "build dynasties" in the afterlife, with the side benefit of boning a girl 30-50 years younger than you.

It's sick.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

honorentheos wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:09 am
It was an explanation and excuse contrived by Hyrum Smith to explain Joseph's infidelities. Since Joseph's libido was an overwhelming part of his personality, polygamy was elevated to the central tenet of the LDS religion.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

honorentheos wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:29 pm
Yes.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:39 am
honorentheos wrote:
Yes.
On this we will disagree, then. I can only anecdotally apply my observations of people I know with that kind of disregard for others in pursuit of sex. In every single case, and there are a number, it's not just libido.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I would probably contend it's more power than libido. Included in the reason why they stray is an ability to fulfill their desires. Setting up the power structure like Smith and Jeffs did, requires forces to keep it running. Much like Joseph Smith Jeffs upset some other prominent men with his power moves. But that didn't stop them from maintaining power. It only increased their need to re-affirm it.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos