Christ's words in the Book of Mormon

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Christ's words in the Book of Mormon

Post by drumdude »

Growing up I had a Bible with the words of Jesus written in red ink. Every single verse was amazing and profound. Of course much of that was due to being exposed to the words and ideas countless times growing up in the Western World in a Christian religion. As RFM said in a recent podcast, Hamlet has similarly become just a collection of famous quotes. :lol:

So I felt very surprised when I got to the part where Jesus enters the picture in the Book of Mormon. Imagine if someone told you they had a long lost, never before heard song by The Beatles. You, a huge Beatles fan, can't wait to hear it. The music begins, and it is clearly just Yellow Submarine with a couple misplayed notes.

I think this is one of the biggest hurdles Joseph gave himself to overcome. He set himself the task of writing a Beatles song. And he couldn't do it, so he just plagiarized.
Rivendale
God

Re: Christ's words in the Book of Mormon

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:54 pm
Growing up I had a Bible with the words of Jesus written in red ink. Every single verse was amazing and profound. Of course much of that was due to being exposed to the words and ideas countless times growing up in the Western World in a Christian religion. As RFM said in a recent podcast, Hamlet has similarly become just a collection of famous quotes. :lol:

So I felt very surprised when I got to the part where Jesus enters the picture in the Book of Mormon. Imagine if someone told you they had a long lost, never before heard song by The Beatles. You, a huge Beatles fan, can't wait to hear it. The music begins, and it is clearly just Yellow Submarine with a couple misplayed notes.

I think this is one of the biggest hurdles Joseph gave himself to overcome. He set himself the task of writing a Beatles song. And he couldn't do it, so he just plagiarized.
Manilla Vanilla....... Emanuel Swedenborg, Adam Clark, King James, but....you couldn't see his lips move because they were buried in a top hat.
dantana
2nd Counselor
Location: Joined 7/18/11, so, apparently, position of senior ranking member.

Post by dantana »

drumdude wrote:
Good analogy dd!

And, yep, a couple misplayed notes with Weird Al singing the verse.
Nobody gets to be a cowboy forever. - Lee Marvin/Monte Walsh
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

dantana wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:32 am
drumdude wrote:
Good analogy dd!

And, yep, a couple misplayed notes with Weird Al singing the verse.
:lol:
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Smith was a master at creating his own works by meshing his own imagination, plagiarism and creativity together but that's how con men operate.