Evangelizing

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
High Priest

Evangelizing

Post by sock puppet »

Do you find one of the following more palatable or acceptable than the other, why?

1-LDS missionary program to recruit new converts to believing as LDS do.

2-Ex-mo's trying to recruit new ex-Mo's to non-belief.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
drumdude
God

Re: Evangelizing

Post by drumdude »

sock puppet wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:46 pm
I don’t think I have ever once come across an instance of this. Certainly not in the door to door salesman manner of Mormonism. I understand why believers think that any challenge to their beliefs is by implication some sort of recruitment to atheism, but I disagree with that. It could lead former Mormons to many places, other religions, pantheism, polytheism, agnosticism, etc.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

I can be wrong, but the term “evangelize” is used specifically to denote converting someone to Christianity. I know I’m being pedantic, but one can’t really evangelize atheism or ex-Mo’ism.

Can you give us a couple of examples where ex-Mo’s are actively seeking out Mo’s to convert into ex-Mo’s?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:08 pm
I can be wrong, but the term “evangelize” is used specifically to denote converting someone to Christianity. I know I’m being pedantic, but one can’t really evangelize atheism or ex-Mo’ism.

Can you give us a couple of examples where ex-Mo’s are actively seeking out Mo’s to convert into ex-Mo’s?

- Doc
I believe the OP read, “ex-mo's trying to recruit new ex-Mo's to non-belief.” I didn’t read it as trying to convert Mo’s to non-belief.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

msnobody wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:42 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:08 pm

- Doc
I believe the OP read, “ex-mo's trying to recruit new ex-Mo's to non-belief.” I didn’t read it as trying to convert Mo’s to non-belief.
The title.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

sock puppet wrote:
Do you find one of the following more palatable or acceptable than the other, why?

Believing in God is easier than trying to produce God.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:11 am
sock puppet wrote:

Believing in God IS producing God.
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

KevinSim wrote:

Believing in Santa Claus is easier than trying to produce Santa Claus.
sock puppet
High Priest

Post by sock puppet »

KevinSim wrote:
sock puppet wrote:

Is that why believers pay 10% of their income to those that produce God?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats