Taking a Break

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Don Bradley
Star B

Taking a Break

Post by Don Bradley »

Hey Friends,

You'll notice that I tend to post here in spurts. I'll be not on the board for a long time, then I'll post heavily for a number of days, staying up super late to post and so on. Then the lost sleep and reduced goal achievement start weighing on me and I realize I need to leave for a good while. Rather than the problem being that I don't want to engage in the discussion, the problem appears to be that I want it too much: When I post, I tend to binge post rather than posting sparingly or in times of winter, cold, or famine. ;) While some people can steadily post in moderation, I, apparently, am a boardaholic!

As I periodically return to dialogue here more across time, I've been coming to know, and therefore like, more and more you whom I dialogue with. I've come to see more of others' personalities and worldviews and perceive their own search for truth. This was perhaps especially so in the thread on what people here believe, but I've seen it on other threads as well. I've enjoyed being here and talking with you.

Obviously board dynamics are not always sweetness and light. I did sting for a while when I felt one in real life friend threw me under the bus on the spiritual reality thread. Yet, although I don't know most of you in person, everyone's been overwhelmingly cordial. And that's even though we are all coming from different worldviews. You could just lump me together with others who come in for ridicule here, but you don't. For the most part, and I think more and more as we interact more, you view me as a distinct individual rather than just a representative of a group. Thank you--I appreciate that.

Sometime tonight or tomorrow (probably tonight) I'll be scrambling my password so I'll have to do password recovery to return to the board, which I think I should probably not do through at least the end of July. I'm announcing this in order to keep me honest--to keep me to my word so I can get my sleep back on track and ramp up my productivity and then when I return post in moderation--hopefully! :P

Regards,

Don
"People can find meaninglessness in just about anything if they convince themselves that there is no meaning in that thing." - The Rev. Dr. Lumen Kishkumen
msnobody
First Presidency

Re: Taking a Break

Post by msnobody »

Go sleep, get caught up, and come back 🙃
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

So glad to have had you around, really great posts in your short time back that I've enjoyed reading. You've been nothing but cordial and gracious and I'm happy to see you've received the same back in return. Hope to see you posting again here soon!
Don Bradley
Star B

Post by Don Bradley »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:01 am
So glad to have had you around, really great posts in your short time back that I've enjoyed reading. You've been nothing but cordial and gracious and I'm happy to see you've received the same back in return. Hope to see you posting again here soon!
Aw thanks, Drum Dude!

Don
"People can find meaninglessness in just about anything if they convince themselves that there is no meaning in that thing." - The Rev. Dr. Lumen Kishkumen
Don Bradley
Star B

Post by Don Bradley »

msnobody wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:45 am
Go sleep, get caught up, and come back 🙃
Zzzzz. =)
Don Bradley
Star B

Post by Don Bradley »

OK, friends. It's late and while there are more intelligent comments I'd like to engage from PhysicsGuy and Sock on the historical methodology thread, I should probably go ahead and lock myself out from the board for a while.

Happy dialoguing!

Don
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Take care Don. And good luck getting the real work done!
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Don Bradley wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:36 am
Hey Friends,

You'll notice that I tend to post here in spurts. I'll be not on the board for a long time, then I'll post heavily for a number of days, staying up super late to post and so on. Then the lost sleep and reduced goal achievement start weighing on me and I realize I need to leave for a good while. Rather than the problem being that I don't want to engage in the discussion, the problem appears to be that I want it too much: When I post, I tend to binge post rather than posting sparingly or in times of winter, cold, or famine. ;) While some people can steadily post in moderation, I, apparently, am a boardaholic!

As I periodically return to dialogue here more across time, I've been coming to know, and therefore like, more and more you whom I dialogue with. I've come to see more of others' personalities and worldviews and perceive their own search for truth. This was perhaps especially so in the thread on what people here believe, but I've seen it on other threads as well. I've enjoyed being here and talking with you.

Obviously board dynamics are not always sweetness and light. I did sting for a while when I felt one in real life friend threw me under the bus on the spiritual reality thread. Yet, although I don't know most of you in person, everyone's been overwhelmingly cordial. And that's even though we are all coming from different worldviews. You could just lump me together with others who come in for ridicule here, but you don't. For the most part, and I think more and more as we interact more, you view me as a distinct individual rather than just a representative of a group. Thank you--I appreciate that.

Sometime tonight or tomorrow (probably tonight) I'll be scrambling my password so I'll have to do password recovery to return to the board, which I think I should probably not do through at least the end of July. I'm announcing this in order to keep me honest--to keep me to my word so I can get my sleep back on track and ramp up my productivity and then when I return post in moderation--hopefully! :P

Regards,

Don
Hey, Don!

I am sorry to see you leave again, although I respect your reasons for going. I also apologize for not being a better interlocutor here, and, if something I did frustrated you or seemed unfriendly, I apologize and I will explain in greater detail later/elsewhere. I have been struggling to want to keep up posting here but not because of anything anyone has done so much as the sense of reward--or lack thereof--that comes from a lot of interactions. Life is short, and surely there are better things to do than run into the same brick walls, even with people you like!
Last edited by Kishkumen on Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Looking forward to your return amigo! Remember we have a date to make with George as well.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

All my best (again). I'm very grateful for your willingness to swing low and respond to me, particularly in your historical methodology thread. I'm also glad your book recommendation caught my eye. I'm not saying it was a great benefit to my mindset, but it helps. Always good to learn something, anything really.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos