Statistical models vs "compelling" arguments and apologetics

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Statistical models vs "compelling" arguments and apologetics

Post by doubtingthomas »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:01 am
On a serious note, that was really groovy and the first time I have heard of the WOW signal. What a terrific video on it, and the use and powerful use of statistics to lead us in the correct direction. Thank you for sharing something so educational, uplifting, maddening, and hopeful.
Yep.
hauslern wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:36 am
How relevant would statistics be to interpreting the hypocephalus?
It seems both Skousen and Givens have given up on accepting Smith'sinterpretations and they did not need stats.
"Hi Noel
My views are pretty clearly laid out in my book, The Pearl of Greatest Price. In brief, leading LDS authorities and scholars all acknowledged as early as 1912 that JSs explanation of the facsimiles was not consistent with Egyptian scholarship. What came to be called the catalyst theory was put forward more than a century ago-- Joseph Smith produced something that was inspired, but it was likely not a straightforward translation of the papyri he was working with.
Interesting. Someday they'll claim the Book of Mormon is an inspired parable.
¥akaSteelhead wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:48 pm
“All models are wrong, but some are useful”. George EP Box
Yes, especially the models that make predictions.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Statistical models vs "compelling" arguments and apologetics

Post by doubtingthomas »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:01 am
Thank you for sharing something so educational, uplifting, maddening, and hopeful.
And successful. It now has half a million views.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll: