Revisiting A Mopologist

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
DrStakhanovite
Elder

Re: Revisiting A Mopologist

Post by DrStakhanovite »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:36 pm
Doesn't he speak Italian?
Now that you mention it, I seem to recall he did a mission in Italy, or am I thinking of someone else? He very well might.

William, if ever you should read this, I'll happily concede being wrong if you confirm this. I'll take you at face value.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:42 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:36 pm
Doesn't he speak Italian?
Now that you mention it, I seem to recall he did a mission in Italy, or am I thinking of someone else? He very well might.

William, if ever you should read this, I'll happily concede being wrong if you confirm this. I'll take you at face value.
Yes, you’ll have to ask the Dean, but my recollection is that Will sought to impress a waitperson at some pseudo-Italian restaurant in Saint George.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

On the matter of speaking Italian, DCP was down in Cedar City having lunch with Will at a "Woodfired Pizza" venue. Because it's "woodfired", presumably this counts as fine dining.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Serhiy Sidorov wrote:Thank you
Perhaps I too long ago communicated in English and I`m a bit unclear.
But he isn`t a credible source for Ukrainian joutnalists, instead he`ve become credible source for russian war propagandist, who dub him as historian and analyst.
And I`m Ukrainian juornalist, who learnt about Shryver`s existence yesterday and tries to find out what on Earth is he
Perhaps I was hasty in my initial response, Serhiy. Welcome to the forum. This is an interesting matter you've brought to our attention, for sure.

Will is an apologist for the Mormon Church, somewhat associated with The Mormon Interpreter Foundation headed by Dan Peterson, and previously, The Maxwell Institute. In this capacity, his objective has been to defend the indefensible; come up with theories about the Book of Mormon and associated lore as legitimate historical writings. As you can imagine, it takes a certain kind of contrarian spirit to battle reality in this way. His fantasies have expanded from defending Mormonism, a thoroughly conservative version of Mormonism, to other areas of conservative fantasy, namely, the pandemic as a hoax and peddling conspiracy theories surrounding coronavirus. One thing appears to have led to another, and now he's doing what you've presented to us here.

Coming up with elaborate junk theories and pseudoscience is something he's invested his adult life into.
Serhiy Sidorov
Nursery

Post by Serhiy Sidorov »

Thank you all gentlemen for your openness and hospitality
I`ve learnt enough and even a bit more about Mr.Shryver for my job.
And now I feel smth like bitterness for the person with inquisitive mind who ended like this. I have two pals of this type, with a similar life path.

If you have something to ask, how we`re here now in Ukraine during the war - feel free to ask it here, if it doesn`t violate your forum` terms.

And thank you again for all your support of our country
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Most likely Will Shryver and his intellectual buddies at Southern Utah University have been exploring ways for family-friendly Southern Utah to obtain more lebensraum to expand. Invading Eastern Nevada is high on their list, so studying the Ukrainian situation and applying the political lens of Mormonism has led to his recent publications. I doubt he bears true ill will to the Ukrainian people but is looking for the most expedient means to defeat those inconvenient Nevadans and add Shryver, Bundy, and Peterson Counties to the Kingdom of Deseret (the other reason for this expansion).

Idolizing both Putin and Trump leads to bewildering politics in Southern Utah.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Serhiy wrote: how we`re here now in Ukraine during the war...
How are you doing? From there on the ground as you are, what do you think? I think some of us worry that it's hard to win against an opponent who has no moral limits, and is free to bomb schools and apartment buildings.

Will doesn't quite understand that you can be stupid and incompetent and make progress if you have no morals.
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

Serhiy Sidorov wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:35 am
If you have something to ask, how we`re here now in Ukraine during the war - feel free to ask it here, if it doesn`t violate your forum` terms.

Sincerely, thank you and all of Ukraine for your courage and reminding the world that some things truly are worth fighting for, especially when threatened by great evil. Glory to the people of Ukraine.

For us English speakers, what news sources might you recommend for the best information and accurate updates?
Serhiy Sidorov
Nursery

Post by Serhiy Sidorov »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:26 am
Serhiy wrote: how we`re here now in Ukraine during the war...
How are you doing? From there on the ground as you are, what do you think? I think some of us worry that it's hard to win against an opponent who has no moral limits, and is free to bomb schools and apartment buildings.
We were frightened during first two weeks. Then fear disappeared, we`ve got used to.
Personal me, my family - we live in the northwest outskirts of Kyiv. 10 miles by the highway through the forest to Irpin and Bucha, where the battle for capital happened. Happily, we relocated for two month to wife`s uncle, 120 miles to the south, then returned.

Such opponent is hard, but it`s clear and no intermediate choices - you gotta win or die/be exiled from your land.
We read their sites and social media, incliding those they start for occupied territories. They claim Ukraine exists no longer, they "operate in post-ukrainian area" and this was russian land since Empire times. They aim to erase the very memory of our existence.
Well, sometimes clarity, whatever grim it was, grants you tranquility.
- Sleep - eat - work - donate excess of your wages for army or refugees - assist army by your civil skills - repeat
Until they flee or die.

I think we must win. I see as my community rises, my circle of friends rises, almost everyone I see and communicate is somehow shares his time and skills to this war, though we`re not on the frontline. We support our friends, who went to war since first days - by donates, by supplying all the stuff which is not provided by army but is still needed.
Serhiy Sidorov
Nursery

Post by Serhiy Sidorov »

honorentheos wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:08 am
Serhiy Sidorov wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:35 am

Sincerely, thank you and all of Ukraine for your courage and reminding the world that some things truly are worth fighting for, especially when threatened by great evil. Glory to the people of Ukraine.

For us English speakers, what news sources might you recommend for the best information and accurate updates?
Thank you for your kind words

News sources -
1. If you prefer frontline reports, with fresh videos/photos from the very battlefield - take this https://censor.net/en
2. If you prefer more overall picture, this one will be better - https://kyivindependent.com/