How Long Until 'Sic et Non' is Cancelled?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: How Long Until 'Sic et Non' is Cancelled?

Post by Kishkumen »

I wonder how DCP will like it if one day, states are allowed to decide for themselves which religions should be tolerated.
States rights until such becomes inconvenient or downright perilous for them. I’ve seen it from LDS apostles.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:54 pm
“Marcus” wrote:( :roll: i collected and saved a few of midgley's diatribes myself, from way back in the day, that midgley sent to a teenaged niece of mine who was spending the summer with us and who had commented on a Mormon site using one of my old log ins. midgley violated the site's policy and accessed my old email address, and began using it to harass my niece. it took a threat of reporting him to the authorities for harassing a minor online before he would stop. that account was permanently closed, as a result, but i kept the emails. that was my very first exposure to mopologetics. midgley is a bullying ass.)
Marcus,

WTH?! This certainly deserves its own thread. Please post it.

I’m sorry. That’s horrible behavior from Midgley and DCP. I wish I could say I’m surprised.
thank you.

But, I've seen how petty and vindictive Midgley is, and I live much closer to him than Australia. His pal DCP already doxxed someone thinking it was me, so no, I'd rather not give away any information by posting the contents of his emails. Maybe I'll figure out a way to post snippets they can't trace.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:22 pm
I wonder how DCP will like it if one day, states are allowed to decide for themselves which religions should be tolerated.
States rights until such becomes inconvenient or downright perilous for them. I’ve seen it from LDS apostles.
A good point. How about if states can determine which--if any--churches get to keep their tax-exempt status?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

What a shame that Dr. Peterson's SeN followers do not show up and insist we should follow him because he will not lead us astray.

Dr. Scratch wrote:How about if states can determine which--if any--churches get to keep their tax-exempt status?
Not good for the LDS Church outside the Jell-O Belt, although it should be okay in places with lucrative TV ministries.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:02 pm
Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:54 pm

Marcus,

WTH?! This certainly deserves its own thread. Please post it.

I’m sorry. That’s horrible behavior from Midgley and DCP. I wish I could say I’m surprised.
thank you.

But, I've seen how petty and vindictive Midgley is, and I live much closer to him than Australia. His pal DCP already doxxed someone thinking it was me, so no, I'd rather not give away any information by posting the contents of his emails. Maybe I'll figure out a way to post snippets they can't trace.
from a recent thread, here's a recent incident further supporting my decision to decline to post Midgley's emails to my family:
...Midgley responds with what can only be described as frightening viciousness:

Louis Midgley wrote:

Philip:

Please send me this rubbish. And especially anything by Gina Colvin. I am writing an essay in which I may, for very good reasons, trash her. She deserves a good trashing. You can go to my page on Interpreter and there you will find my email address....
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=155729
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

DrStakhanovite wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:53 am

He’ll get back to form though, he has expressed a kind of pastoral calling to apologetics and I think that is genuine. If nothing else, he loves to editorialize and can’t stop himself from saying something regrettable.
Great post, Dr. Stak. I’m sure you’re right. It will be very interesting to see what develops as the FAIR Conference approaches. Meanwhile, Interpreter has really ratcheted up its assault on the Heartlanders.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

I wonder sometimes if Dan fears death. He regularly writes about near death experiences. There are a number of philosophers, neuroscientists and theologians who accept that we do not have a soul.

He has invested so much of his life defending the truthfulness of his faith. They hang on to the Book of Abraham despite the evidence against it. They hope one day evidence for the horse in America before Columbis might be found. The chapter "Constructing Book of Mormon Narratives" in Visions in A Seer Stone Davis makes interesting arguments on the creation of the Book of Mormon. After the Book of Abraham the next Mormon scripture to fail the historical text.
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

hauslern wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:22 am
I wonder sometimes if Dan fears death. He regularly writes about near death experiences. There are a number of philosophers, neuroscientists and theologians who accept that we do not have a soul.

He has invested so much of his life defending the truthfulness of his faith. They hang on to the Book of Abraham despite the evidence against it. They hope one day evidence for the horse in America before Columbis might be found. The chapter "Constructing Book of Mormon Narratives" in Visions in A Seer Stone Davis makes interesting arguments on the creation of the Book of Mormon. After the Book of Abraham the next Mormon scripture to fail the historical text.
I think he does very much fear death. He has always struck me as someone who is struggling mightily to have it both ways. All his really terribly written “travelogues” reek of the desperation of a person who feels a need to prove to the world that they “lived life to the fullest.” But, obviously, per Church doctrine, this mortal life is really just a “test”—or a “probation,” as Midgley would put it. So, why get so wrapped up in “worldly” matters? Why not focus more on the gospel?

The answer is that there is a part of DCP that fears that the critics are right and that the Church is a hoax. It terrifies him on one level to think that there is *nothing* after this life, but perhaps even more so (and he would never admit this) he fears that he has “missed out” on things he could have been doing if he hadn’t subjected himself to the considerable limitations of Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

DCP is smart enough to be able to weigh the evidence for and against the Book of Mormon. He knows it’s exactly as unlikely as we do. I imagine what he does is similar to how we all deal with the knowledge that death is inevitable. We put that thought to the back of our minds and we press on.

I don’t think it’s hard for Mormons to do the same. Put that thought, that the evidence is overwhelmingly against Mormonism, to the back of your mind and press on. He has formed a lifelong habit of lying to others, why not maintain it and continue to lie to himself.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

Dan has some discussion regarding the treatment of women in the LDS church. Are they just there for Kinder, Kirche and Kochen. I surveyed some of the members of faculties at BYU. The English faculty had lots of part time female staff while in geology and other sciences like biology there were either no women or they were adjunct faculty with a few full timers.