Officially no official position on natural selection

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Officially no official position on natural selection

Post by doubtingthomas »

Based on his study of animal species, Darwin noted that environmental conditions favor some individuals within a population better than others. Members of a species that developed certain traits were better suited to survive and reproduce across generations. Over generations, he argued, this process of “natural selection” could give rise to new species.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... n?lang=eng
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
drumdude
God

Re: Officially no official position on natural selection

Post by drumdude »

I find it interesting that evolution is one of the things DCP quickly concedes. Even though it is completely incompatible with LDS doctrine. I think it's mostly because he hates Mormons being called ignorant rubes for believing in young earth creationism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

What about all the denials of evolution and the claim of a 7000-year-old earth?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 pm
I find it interesting that evolution is one of the things DCP quickly concedes. Even though it is completely incompatible with LDS doctrine. I think it's mostly because he hates Mormons being called ignorant rubes for believing in young earth creationism.
Drumdude, how is evolution incompatible with LDS doctrine?
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:16 pm
What about all the denials of evolution and the claim of a 7000-year-old earth?
Evolution was added to McConkie's 7 deadly heresies.
Now here are some doctrines that weaken faith and may damn. It depends on how inured a person gets to them, and how much emphasis he puts on them, and how much the doctrine begins to govern the affairs of his life. Evolution is one of them. Somebody can get so wrapped up in so-called organic evolution that he ends up not believing in the atoning sacrifice of the Lord Jesus. Such a course leads to damnation.
Mormonism also has to have the global flood, (which is incompatible with evolution) . It has to have no death before the fall. (incompatible with evolution).....But they still teach it at BYU.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

KevinSim wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:41 pm
drumdude wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:13 pm
Because from an evolutionary perspective there is no such thing as a constant human, there is a continuous extremely gradual evolution from a lower non-human species into the existing human one that occurred over hundreds of thousands and millions of years. This is completely against the Garden of Eden narrative in the temple which lays out the young earth creationist theory that humans were placed on earth in their present day form.

I suppose you could say that humans before 6,000 years ago were soul-less zombies without spirits. They had all the intellectual skills, social skills, emotions, they lived lives, loved each other, buried their dead, but because of LDS theology they weren't allowed to have eternal life. Good luck explaining that to a new member or potential convert.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:12 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:41 pm

Because from an evolutionary perspective there is no such thing as a constant human, there is a continuous extremely gradual evolution from a lower non-human species into the existing human one that occurred over hundreds of thousands and millions of years. This is completely against the Garden of Eden narrative in the temple which lays out the young earth creationist theory that humans were placed on earth in their present day form.

I suppose you could say that humans before 6,000 years ago were soul-less zombies without spirits. They had all the intellectual skills, social skills, emotions, they lived lives, loved each other, buried their dead, but because of LDS theology they weren't allowed to have eternal life. Good luck explaining that to a new member or potential convert.
Some believers are shocked when they find out they have soulless Neanderthal blood in their 23 and me results.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Rivendale wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:48 pm
drumdude wrote:

Some believers are shocked when they find out they have soulless Neanderthal blood in their 23 and me results.
A pure testimony builder that is right there... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Okay, I will accept that challenge: They lacked the handshakes and the ability to perform nude clogging in the Temple, necessary for eternal progression. Hope that helps.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Moksha wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:20 am
drumdude wrote:
Okay, I will accept that challenge: They lacked the handshakes and the ability to perform nude clogging in the Temple, necessary for eternal progression. Hope that helps.
It took me a minute to figure this one out. But yes you are right Moksha. The ordinances are just like River dance. Clogging to heaven. You have breached an important milestone with me. And nude clogging. There is no difference. Meat puppets doing clogging for paradise. Cinnamon whiskey baths. Oil enemas. It is all there.