Limiting member study on the D&C

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
msnobody
First Presidency

Limiting member study on the D&C

Post by msnobody »

This was posted on Reddit:
"the apostles do not want members of the church studying the DnC on a daily basis or for regular scripture study 😂 The apostles only want members to study the Book of Mormon on the daily. On rare occasions they should study the DnC for lesson planning, etc"
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comm ... _dc_study/

Has anyone else heard of this?
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
drumdude
God

Re: Limiting member study on the D&C

Post by drumdude »

It's the logical progression of the process of de-emphasizing certain scriptures. So much so that it's essentially pretending they do not exist. The lesson manual for D&C 132 skips over all the embarrassing stuff completely, for example.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:35 am
It's the logical progression of the process of de-emphasizing certain scriptures. So much so that it's essentially pretending they do not exist. The lesson manual for D&C 132 skips over all the embarrassing stuff completely, for example.
And all that stuff about poor Mrs Smith being "destroyed" if she is not exclusively loyal to Mr Smith despite him bedding other women.

And all the stuff where the Lord takes on his eternal shoulders the nit-picking details of precisely how investments in the stock of the 'Nauvoo House' constructed for lodging Mr Smith et al. are to be regulated, all in the same language as the book of Leviticus - stuff that I defy any normal person to read without saying - "Sorry? This is supposed to be a deity talking here?".

No wonder they don't want Mormons to read it.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

msnobody wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:26 am
Has anyone else heard of this?
Sounds like the result of problem-solving sessions on how to best deal with the work of Mormon Discussions Live, RFM, Paul Osborne, Mormon Stories, The Backyard Professor, and perhaps the worry that inadvertent readers would be subject to a hit piece in the Interpreter Journal.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Post by BeNotDeceived »

Chap wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:25 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:35 am
And all that stuff about poor Mrs Smith being "destroyed" if she is not exclusively loyal to Mr Smith despite him bedding other women.

And all the stuff where the Lord takes on his eternal shoulders the nit-picking details of precisely how investments in the stock of the 'Nauvoo House' constructed for lodging Mr Smith et al. are to be regulated, all in the same language as the book of Leviticus - stuff that I defy any normal person to read without saying - "Sorry? This is supposed to be a deity talking here?".

No wonder they don't want Mormons to read it.
This.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

It bears reading ... I have not removed the ubiquitous note letters from the online text.

It is The Lord who speaks ...

D&C 124:
59 Therefore, let my servant Joseph and his seed after him have place in that house, from generation to generation, forever and ever, saith the Lord.

60 And let the name of that house be called aNauvoo House; and let it be a delightful habitation for man, and a resting-place for the weary traveler, that he may contemplate the glory of Zion, and the glory of this, the cornerstone thereof;

61 That he may receive also the counsel from those whom I have set to be as aplants of renown, and as bwatchmen upon her walls.

62 Behold, verily I say unto you, let my servant George Miller, and my servant Lyman Wight, and my servant John Snider, and my servant Peter Haws, organize themselves, and appoint one of them to be a president over their quorum for the purpose of building that house.

63 And they shall form a constitution, whereby they may receive stock for the building of that house.

64 And they shall not receive less than fifty dollars for a share of stock in that house, and they shall be permitted to receive fifteen thousand dollars from any one man for stock in that house.

65 But they shall not be permitted to receive over fifteen thousand dollars stock from any one man.

66 And they shall not be permitted to receive under fifty dollars for a share of stock from any one man in that house.

67 And they shall not be permitted to receive any man, as a stockholder in this house, except the same shall pay his stock into their hands at the time he receives stock;

68 And in proportion to the amount of stock he pays into their hands he shall receive stock in that house; but if he pays nothing into their hands he shall not receive any stock in that house.

69 And if any pay stock into their hands it shall be for stock in that house, for himself, and for his generation after him, from generation to generation, so long as he and his heirs shall hold that stock, and do not sell or convey the stock away out of their hands by their own free will and act, if you will do my will, saith the Lord your God.

70 And again, verily I say unto you, if my servant George Miller, and my servant Lyman Wight, and my servant John Snider, and my servant Peter Haws, receive any stock into their hands, in moneys, or in properties wherein they receive the real value of moneys, they shall not appropriate any portion of that stock to any other purpose, only in that house.

71 And if they do appropriate any portion of that stock anywhere else, only in that house, without the consent of the stockholder, and do not repay four-fold for the stock which they appropriate anywhere else, only in that house, they shall be accursed, and shall be moved out of their place, saith the Lord God; for I, the Lord, am God, and cannot be amocked in any of these things.

72 Verily I say unto you, let my servant Joseph pay stock into their hands for the building of that house, as seemeth him good; but my servant Joseph cannot pay over fifteen thousand dollars stock in that house, nor under fifty dollars; neither can any other man, saith the Lord.

73 And there are others also who wish to know my will concerning them, for they have asked it at my hands.

74 Therefore, I say unto you concerning my servant Vinson Knight, if he will do my will let him put stock into that house for himself, and for his generation after him, from generation to generation.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.
Abaddon
Nursery

Post by Abaddon »

D&C 124:59-74...

That's the first time I've read that many verses of scriptures together, in one setting, in probably 10 years or more.

Those were inspiring words. God had big plans for that house for Joseph and his seed to live there forever and ever. Until they abandoned the building of it. You'd think there would be another angry revelation to complete the damn house God was so pleased to have built.

God just wanted a mansion built for his humble prophet. Is that so hard to see? God will not be mocked...