President Newsroom declares open season on reproductive rights

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

President Newsroom declares open season on reproductive rights

Post by drumdude »

April 2022
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes in the sanctity of human life. Therefore, the Church opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience, and counsels its members not to submit to, perform, encourage, pay for, or arrange for such abortions.

The Church allows for possible exceptions for its members when:

Pregnancy results from rape or incest, or
A competent physician determines that the life or health of the mother is in serious jeopardy, or
A competent physician determines that the fetus has severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth.
The Church teaches its members that even these rare exceptions do not justify abortion automatically. Abortion is a most serious matter and should be considered only after the persons involved have consulted with their local church leaders and feel through personal prayer that their decision is correct.

The Church has not favored or opposed legislative proposals or public demonstrations concerning abortion.

June 2022
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes in the sanctity of human life. Therefore, the Church opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience, and counsels its members not to submit to, perform, encourage, pay for, or arrange for such abortions.

The Church allows for possible exceptions for its members when:

Pregnancy results from rape or incest, or
A competent physician determines that the life or health of the mother is in serious jeopardy, or
A competent physician determines that the fetus has severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth.
Even these exceptions do not automatically justify abortion. Abortion is a most serious matter. It should be considered only after the persons responsible have received confirmation through prayer. Members may counsel with their bishops as part of this process.

The Church’s position on this matter remains unchanged. As states work to enact laws related to abortion, Church members may appropriately choose to participate in efforts to protect life and to preserve religious liberty.

I love the Orwellian twist at the end that defines taking away a right from a non-Mormon as an act of preserving Mormons’ religious liberty.
Marcus
God

Re: President Newsroom declares open season on reproductive rights

Post by Marcus »

weird change from

"should be considered only after the persons involved have consulted with their local church leaders"

to
"Members may counsel with their bishops as part of this process."

Do they want members to no longer feel obligated to ask permission? maybe it's just a way to reduce the lds church's possible liability.
Kukulkan
High Priest

Post by Kukulkan »

Doesn't Mormon theology dictate that if you die before you read the age of 8 you get a golden ticket to the Celestial Kingdom? Mormons should heavily be in favor of abortion. It's a way to game the system Heavenly Father set up. Guaranteed way to achieve Celestial glory.
"I advise all to go on to perfection and search deeper and deeper into the mysteries of Godliness." -Joseph Smith
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kukulkan wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:45 pm
Doesn't Mormon theology dictate that if you die before you read the age of 8 you get a golden ticket to the Celestial Kingdom? Mormons should heavily be in favor of abortion. It's a way to game the system Heavenly Father set up. Guaranteed way to achieve Celestial glory.
Yes. John Larsen brilliantly covered the horrific plan of salvation in a recent Mormon Stories podcast. Trillions upon trillions of souls will end up in Outer Darkness forever tormented. He ended by saying the only moral and reasonable thing to do if Mormonism's theology is true is to find whatever being started this disaster and destroy it.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I always liked the church stance on abortion. Eg, life is sacred but it’s your private choice in certain circumstances. I don’t see the church altering that stance and I am glad for that. This move by a right wing heavy supreme court is sure to backfire spectacularly when the pendulum swings back.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Those residing in the sacred Jell-O belt will have to go to Nevada, Colorado, or New Mexico for an abortion. Utah's new law that went into effect after the Trump court decision, is more restrictive than previous LDS guidelines.

Utah has also prohibited the consumption of non-alcoholic butterbeer to minors since it was featured in Harry Potter along with wizards.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

I noted this in the RvW thread. I am guessing protesting for religious freedom is not extended to Jewish beliefs on abortion. The handbook is the real clarification:
Children Who Die before Birth (Stillborn and Miscarried Children)

Parents who experience the death of an unborn child suffer grief and loss. Leaders, family members, and ministering brothers and sisters offer emotional and spiritual support.
Parents may decide whether to hold memorial or graveside services.
Parents may record information about the child in FamilySearch.org. Instructions are provided on the website.
Temple ordinances are not needed or performed for children who die before birth. This does not deny the possibility that these children may be part of the family in the eternities. Parents are encouraged to trust the Lord and seek His comfort.
Don’t put a stillborn or miscarried baby on the records of the church, but you can put them on your own family records. Also don’t do any temple work for them.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:00 pm
I always liked the church stance on abortion. Eg, life is sacred but it’s your private choice in certain circumstances. I don’t see the church altering that stance and I am glad for that. This move by a right wing heavy supreme court is sure to backfire spectacularly when the pendulum swings back.
Amen.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:07 pm
Yes. John Larsen brilliantly covered the horrific plan of salvation in a recent Mormon Stories podcast. Trillions upon trillions of souls will end up in Outer Darkness forever tormented. He ended by saying the only moral and reasonable thing to do if Mormonism's theology is true is to find whatever being started this disaster and destroy it.
If John Larsen thinks that, then he’s a total idiot.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Kishkumen wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:43 pm
drumdude wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:07 pm
If John Larsen thinks that, then he’s a total idiot.
I guess I’ll bite and ask why.