President Newsroom declares open season on reproductive rights

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Re: President Newsroom declares open season on reproductive rights

Post by BeNotDeceived »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:45 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:52 am
Why do you think “protect life” applies only to the fetus? Especially after discussing threats to the mother’s life?
Because of this line:

“The Church teaches its members that even these rare exceptions do not justify abortion automatically.“

The church cannot even let members who are raped or in danger of death get an abortion without going through the bureaucracy. According to them the ultimate arbiter of life and death is a bishop or stake president who was called up from the lay congregation with zero training in medicine, psychology, or leadership.

God help any Mormon woman ignorant or brainwashed enough to put her life in their hands.
Yep!
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

drumdude wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:52 am
Why do you think “protect life” applies only to the fetus? Especially after discussing threats to the mother’s life?
Because of this line:

“The Church teaches its members that even these rare exceptions do not justify abortion automatically.“

The church cannot even let members who are raped or in danger of death get an abortion without going through the bureaucracy. According to them the ultimate arbiter of life and death is a bishop or stake president who was called up from the lay congregation with zero training in medicine, psychology, or leadership.

God help any Mormon woman ignorant or brainwashed enough to put her life in their hands.
Are we reading the same document? The one that says this:
Even these exceptions do not automatically justify abortion. Abortion is a most serious matter. It should be considered only after the persons responsible have received confirmation through prayer. Members may counsel with their bishops as part of this process.
Nothing in the statement requires the woman to involve the bishop or stake president at all, let alone makes them the "ultimate arbiter of life and death."

There is nothing about the sentence you quoted that implies that "life" means only "unborn life."
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:03 pm
drumdude wrote:

Because of this line:

Even these exceptions do not automatically justify abortion. Abortion is a most serious matter. It should be considered only after the persons responsible have received confirmation through prayer. Members may counsel with their bishops as part of this process.
Nothing in the statement requires the woman to involve the bishop or stake president at all, let alone makes them the "ultimate arbiter of life and death."

There is nothing about the sentence you quoted that implies that "life" means only "unborn life."

I guess we’re not. I would suggest trying to imagine what it’s like to have just been raped, found out you’re pregnant, and then read that your church has some homework for you to do before you decide if you should have your rapists child or not. Homework that may be easier by reaching out to your church leaders.

The document was not written with the raped women in mind. It was written to take a clear political stance against abortion.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

drumdude wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:34 am
June 2022
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints believes in the sanctity of human life. Therefore, the Church opposes elective abortion for personal or social convenience, and counsels its members not to submit to, perform, encourage, pay for, or arrange for such abortions.

The Church allows for possible exceptions for its members when:

Pregnancy results from rape or incest, or
A competent physician determines that the life or health of the mother is in serious jeopardy, or
A competent physician determines that the fetus has severe defects that will not allow the baby to survive beyond birth.

The Church’s position on this matter remains unchanged. As states work to enact laws related to abortion, Church members may appropriately choose to participate in efforts to protect life and to preserve religious liberty.
I love the Orwellian twist at the end that defines taking away a right from a non-Mormon as an act of preserving Mormons’ religious liberty.
I’d like to know, specifically, what the church considers to be appropriate efforts to preserve life.

Church members can also choose to leave the woman who’s body is involved, to make her own decision without external influence from unrelated others. If a Church member is opposed to abortion, fine, don’t have one.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:13 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:

I guess we’re not. I would suggest trying to imagine what it’s like to have just been raped, found out you’re pregnant, and then read that your church has some homework for you to do before you decide if you should have your rapists child or not. Homework that may be easier by reaching out to your church leaders.

The document was not written with the raped women in mind. It was written to take a clear political stance against abortion.
Now you’ve just moved the goalposts. First, I wouldn’t presume to claim I could imagine what it’s like for a woman to be raped. Beyond that, what young women were taught about rape when I was LDS was so screwed up that I have no reference point at all.

But the comment of mine that you responded to wasn’t about rape: it was about who has ultimate life or death control over the woman. I take it that your change of subject is an acknowledgement that your claim that the statement gives bishops and stake presidents that control was simply hyperbole on your part. Given the role of prayer in the life of faithful LDS folks, recommending prayer for guidance in advance of significant decisions is kind of a no brainier.

Open season on reproductive rights would be defining abortion as murder, leading to mandatory excommunication. The LDS Church has always had a more nuanced stance toward abortion than the Catholic Church as well as other Protestant sects. It is certainly more nuanced than those sects that have promoted the notion that abortion is a sin, period.

There is nothing in the last part of the statement that restricts advocacy for the lives of women. I’d bet money that was intentional.
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
just to clarify, you're quoting the June 2022 adjustment.

as i noted earlier, the previous rendition did require involvement of local leaders, and that's the version that held for the majority of my life, and that is typically quoted, at least in any conversation i've had with a tbm:
Marcus wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:17 pm
weird change from

"should be considered only after the persons involved have consulted with their local church leaders" [april 2022]

to
"Members may counsel with their bishops as part of this process." [june 2022]
i am glad for the change, however.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:38 am
Res Ipsa wrote:

as i noted earlier, the previous rendition did require involvement of local leaders, and that's the version that held for the majority of my life, and that is typically quoted, at least in any conversation i've had with a tbm:
Marcus wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:17 pm
weird change from

"should be considered only after the persons involved have consulted with their local church leaders" [april 2022]

to
"Members may counsel with their bishops as part of this process." [june 2022]
Yes, I was, as the OP claims the change was a declaration of open season on reproductive rights. The change you refer to gives women more autonomy, which I see as an improvement over the former policy.
he/him

Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:48 am
Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:38 am

Yes, I was, as the OP claims the change was a declaration of open season on reproductive rights. The change you refer to gives women more autonomy, which I see as an improvement over the former policy.
i agree with the theoretical effect of the change as an improvement, although it may take a while for that to filter down. the TBM part of my family still gives the standard "follow the priesthood" for every decision making process, so it may take some time.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:16 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:48 am

Yes, I was, as the opening post claims the change was a declaration of open season on reproductive rights. The change you refer to gives women more autonomy, which I see as an improvement over the former policy.
i agree with the theoretical effect of the change as an improvement, although it may take a while for that to filter down. the TBM part of my family still gives the standard "follow the priesthood" for every decision making process, so it may take some time.
Yep. Baby steps.
he/him