Dan Peterson and Hugh Nibley - Church History

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Dan Peterson and Hugh Nibley - Church History

Post by hauslern »

Dan is extolling the work of Hugh Nibley. Nibley engaged in LDS history, early Christian history and Egyptology. He had a paper published in the journal Church History The Passing of the Primitive Church:

https://byustudies.byu.edu/wp-content/u ... assing.pdf

I once asked Wesley P Walters thoughts on Nibley's scholarship and for what it's worth here is his response for you entertainment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zg1 ... Pm-UY/edit

Classical scholars like Trevor Luke might like to critique.

Walters was a conservative evangelical who did some good research on the revival question and the 1826 trial. (He was accused of stealing the material from the county jail).
Last edited by hauslern on Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drumdude
God

Re: Dan Peterson and Hugh Nibley - Church History

Post by drumdude »

I find it funny they still trot him out on a regular interval like a prized show horse. Well the taxidermied corpse of a show horse now. “Look! He believed! A real smart dude believed this crap! It’s a miracle!”
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

He failed as an Egyptologist. Now even some LDS (skousen and Givens) see no value in the facsimiles. Also The Mythmakers was debunked by Roger Anderson. Klaus Baer said Nibley was referencing the crackpots in his defence of the Book of Abraham.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

hauslern wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:58 pm
He failed as an Egyptologist. Now even some LDS (skousen and Givens) see no value in the facsimiles. Also The Mythmakers was debunked by Roger Anderson. Klaus Baer said Nibley was referencing the crackpots in his defence of the Book of Abraham.
That debunking by Anderson against The Myth Makers was a stellar analysis. Found in his book "Joseph Smith's New York Reputation Reappraised." He also trounced, I mean trounced Richard Lloyd Anderson as well.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:13 pm
trounced Richard Lloyd Anderson as well.
Have you covered Anderson in a video?
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:20 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:13 pm
trounced Richard Lloyd Anderson as well.
No, but this is worth doing! I have seriously been contemplating it. It is in the pipeline. For him to man handle two of the supposedly strongest Mormon scholars, Nibley, and Anderson, well..... that is seriously impressive and needs coverage.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:23 pm
drumdude wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:20 pm
No, but this is worth doing! I have seriously been contemplating it. It is in the pipeline. For him to man handle two of the supposedly strongest Mormon scholars, Nibley, and Anderson, well..... that is seriously impressive and needs coverage.
I would love it, since Peterson constantly refers to their books as evidence.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:29 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:23 pm

I would love it, since Peterson constantly refers to their books as evidence.
Well, it is on the agenda! Phil Jenkins in one mere blog post annihilated everything Nibley has written on the evidences for the Book of Mormon when arguing with Bill Hamblin, by showing until there is actual physical dirt or building evidence of ANY Nephites, Lamanites, Mulekites, or Jaredites, there can be no true reality about it. Until that is overcome, the Book of Mormon doesn't even taxi to the runway, let alone get airlift into flight.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

hauslern wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:42 pm
Especially his opinion on the chiasmus parallels Nibley noted in the Linear B text. The connection he found between the Principle of polygamy and bull jumping is staggering. I Hope Trevor has his Reformed Egyptian outfit standing ready in the closet.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Moksha wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:01 am
hauslern wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:42 pm
Especially his opinion on the chiasmus parallels Nibley noted in the Linear B text. The connection he found between the Principle of polygamy and bull jumping is staggering. I Hope Trevor has his Reformed Egyptian outfit standing ready in the closet.
Were he to wear such an outfit he would have to...................................................................wait for it..........................................................................................walk like an Egyptian.