Dan Peterson and Hugh Nibley - Church History

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: Dan Peterson and Hugh Nibley - Church History

Post by Doctor Scratch »

I was struck by how fundamentally disrespectful the accounts were—Nibley comes across as a doddering old idiot in them. I’m not sure that I get what the point was in posting them.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

hauslern wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:42 pm
Dan is extolling the work of Hugh Nibley. Nibley engaged in LDS history, early Christian history and Egyptology.
He had a paper published in the journal Church History The Passing of the Primitive Church
https://byustudies.byu.edu/wp-content/u ... assing.pdf

I once asked Wesley P Walters thoughts on Nibley's scholarship and for what it's worth here is his response for you entertainment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Zg1 ... Pm-UY/edit

Classical scholars like Trevor Luke might like to critique.

Walters was a conservative evangelical who did some good research on the revival question and the 1826 trial. (He was accused of stealing the material from the county jail).
That was an interesting series of letters. Thanks for posting.

I'm mostly working in patristics and exegetical history now. I seldom think of Mormonism anymore, but when I do, I'm left shaking my head. You have to grotesquely cherry pick the evidence from the New Testament and the early church to conclude that early Christianity looked anything like Mormonism and Joseph Smith meaningfully restored it.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Fence Sitter
High Priest

Post by Fence Sitter »

MsJack,

It's always good to see you.
Please drop in as often as you can.
Your contributions to this board have been immeasurable and your perspective is unique.

FS
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:40 pm
MsJack,

Your contributions to this board have been immeasurable and your perspective is unique.

FS
I will heartily second that proposition!
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

I would love to hear Ms Jacks thoughts on Nibley's view that missionary work had ceased and his idea of the "tunnell". I have a book by Michael Green Evangelism in the Early Church which shows much missionary work.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

hauslern wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:39 pm
I would love to hear Ms Jacks thoughts on Nibley's view that missionary work had ceased and his idea of the "tunnell". I have a book by Michael Green Evangelism in the Early Church which shows much missionary work
Hauslern, for those of use with little interest in in depth Nibley studies could you briefly state what sort of idea is being referred to with "tunnell" and a stop to missionary work. The LDS idea of apostasy is problematic in the view of many. Many have also thought the early church does not resemble Joseph Smith's restoration. I realize Nibley saw this differently.

////
looking back to the open post link I see that the answer to my question is likely to be in that very article. I suppose I can dig that deep sometime soon. I didn't look there at first thinking it was just more tiresome complaining about Mr Peterson.
hauslern
1st Counselor

Post by hauslern »

"The Great Gap:—That ominous gap in the records which comes just at the moment of transition from a world-hostile to a world-conditioned Christianity has recently received growing attention and a number of interesting labels, such as the lacuna, the eclipse, the void, the great vacuum, the narrows, the period of oblivion, etc.89 Brandon compares it to a tunnel “from which we emerge to find a situation which is unexpected in terms of the situation which went before.”90 (XXVII) The church, that is, which comes out of the tunnel is not the church that went into it. The Great Gap is more than a mere absence of documents; it is an abrupt break in the continuity of the Church, so complete as to prove to Theodore Brandt that “the living faith cannot be transmitted from past ages . . .” which is at least an admission that it has not been.91 The early Christians knew they were approaching a tunnel; they were acutely aware of “the terrible possibility of apostasy for the church” — not merely of apostasy from it,92 and never doubted “the general apostasy which would precede the coming of the Messiah.”93 And the church of the next age is just as aware of having passed through the tunnel, and losing its most precious possessions in the process" Read page 7 of Walters letter for response
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:40 pm
MsJack,

FS
Thanks FS! I try to drop by when I can. I appreciate everyone here.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:44 pm
I will heartily second that proposition!
Thanks Kerry! I hope you are well.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

hauslern wrote:
Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:39 pm
I would love to hear Ms Jacks thoughts on Nibley's view that missionary work had ceased and his idea of the "tunnell". I have a book by Michael Green Evangelism in the Early Church which shows much missionary work
Thanks for asking! I am keeping busy (I'm actually presenting in a patristics section at ETS in the fall and have been working on that paper) but I'll try to make time this week.