Peterson objects to rainbow flag on Utah Valley Hospital, mis-identified by him as "government or quasi-government"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Peterson objects to rainbow flag on Utah Valley Hospital, mis-identified by him as "government or quasi-government"

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Peterson knows that attacking any instance of a rainbow flag can be held up to the Brethren as proof of the Interpreter and the FARMS old guard firing their muskets against the LGBTQ community, thus making their reinstatement at the Maxwell Institute a wise policy choice. Maxwell scholars are probably doing teaching and research rather than carrying out the will of the prophets with musket fire. That's what you get when you replace grizzled warriors who have honed their musket firing skills with a bunch of scholars who study books. Books!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr LOD
Nursery

Re: Peterson objects to rainbow flag on Utah Valley Hospital, mis-identified by him as "government or quasi-government"

Post by Dr LOD »

Looks like some dementia is settling in with poor Dan.

The hospital is a private nonprofit entity.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

His minions in the comment section have set about on a Crusade against the evil atheist Wikipedia editors. Apparently there are nefarious forces at work creating anti-Mormon lies across the most popular encyclopedia on Earth.

Don't fret, the ownership status of the IHC has Mormon defenders on Wikipedia now, all is well.
Sick old Nun comment section wrote:
Tangata wrote:I should note that in 1975, the Church donated the hospitals to IHC. They were not sold by the Church.

(hours later): I should also note, that IHC (despite Wikipedia) is not owned by the Church. IHC is a secular organization headquartered in Salt Lake City. The Church did assist in its founding (again by donation) because the Church had a healthcare system (Healthcare Services) that was leveraged. Because of its Utah presence, occasionally, Latter-Day Saints employees and volunteers of IHC rise to leadership roles. Currently, for example, Gov Mike Leavitt chairs the Board of Trustees. However, Marc Harrison, MD, the current CEO and President of IHC is (or at least was raised as) Jewish.
dCyl wrote:Tangata, if you can provide some reliable sources on IHC ownership, I can take a stab at correcting the Wikipedia article. Most Wikipedia articles providing misinformation on the Church are a lost cause, but this one is tangential enough that I might be able to make it stick if I have unimpeachable sources.
Midge wrote:dCyl is right about Wikipedia. Some and perhaps many items about the Church of Jesus Christ, or our history and faith are often fiddled with by our critics. At times it seems like a war that will never end. I hope that dCyl can make corrections that stick.
I can sleep safe at night now knowing the anti-Mormon lies on wikipedia have been vanquished.
Dr LOD
Nursery

Post by Dr LOD »

These guys are idiots! They can’t even make sense of what the are reading on that wiki page.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Mormon ownership shenanigans!
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Government buildings should not be political? As in, celebrating the fruits of social progress that our democracy produces? Should government buildings also not celebrate ending slavery or the equal rights amendment? Is Peterson proposing some sort of inverse statute of limitations rule on what constitutes “political” displays at/on government buildings? I find the logic of this opposition to rainbows to be sadly short sighted and ill-timed, considering the fascism of our presently active supreme court. Perhaps Peterson should go the other way and roll the dice on the pendulum inevitably swinging back to social progress, which it most certainly will do.
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

I have a direct question for Dr. Peterson. Will you be adding this to your Christopher Hitchens: How Religion Poisons Everything File? It seems, in a completely non sarcastic way, a worthy submission.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/202 ... 788415001/
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:53 pm
I have a direct question for Dr. Peterson. Will you be adding this to your Christopher Hitchens: How Religion Poisons Everything File? It seems, in a completely non sarcastic way, a worthy submission.

A great point, Dr. Moore. I imagine that Dr. Peterson would give his usual tired retort about wanting to save the life of the fetus. Except that he doesn’t—he wouldn’t lift a finger or donate a dime to help either the fetus or the 10-year-old girl. He’ll happily donate money so that Interpreter can publish smear articles about Jonathan Neville, but in terms of something more practical? Not so much.

And I have to say: for someone who claims to *not* be antagonistic towards science, his knowledge of human reproductive biology seems to be remarkably stilted.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Dr Moore wrote:

i saw that story. 6 weeks and three days pregnant, 10 years old, referred by a doctor specializing in child abuse.

there was a comment here recently, something like 'what's wrong with 9 months of mild discomfort?' SMH.
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:05 pm
Dr Moore wrote:

A great point, Dr. Moore. I imagine that Dr. Peterson would give his usual tired retort about wanting to save the life of the fetus. Except that he doesn’t—he wouldn’t lift a finger or donate a dime to help either the fetus or the 10-year-old girl. He’ll happily donate money so that Interpreter can publish smear articles about Jonathan Neville, but in terms of something more practical? Not so much.

And I have to say: for someone who claims to *not* be antagonistic towards science, his knowledge of human reproductive biology seems to be remarkably stilted.
The energy expended on repetitive mutual theological masturbation with gemli… what an astonishing waste of mental capacity, not to mention a platform which could potentially be used for actual good.