Peterson objects to rainbow flag on Utah Valley Hospital, mis-identified by him as "government or quasi-government"

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Marcus
God

Peterson objects to rainbow flag on Utah Valley Hospital, mis-identified by him as "government or quasi-government"

Post by Marcus »

if the rainbow flag is taken simply as affirming the value of treating all people (including those who experience same-sex attraction, gender dysphoria, and related matters) with kindness and respect — and I assume that many take it in much that way — then I see no problem with its display on government and quasi-government buildings such as Utah Valley Hospital. Notwithstanding the strenuous daily efforts of a tiny group of anonymous online detractors over the past fifteen years or so, I’m very much in favor of charity and mutual respect. But I’m not sure that that is all that the rainbow flag represents. I may be mistaken, and I’m certainly open to re-education on the matter, but it seems to me that the flag frequently and perhaps, in a sense, primarily represents a particular ideology or complex of ideologies and a broad but specific and insistent political agenda. In which case, I think it quite inappropriate for the rainbow flag to be displayed on any government or quasi-government building. State institutions should not be publicly taking partisan, political, or ideological stands...
in other news....
By 1953 through request of the board of directors, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints assumed ownership of Utah Valley Hospital.
:roll:
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Peterson objects to rainbow flag on Utah Valley Hospital, mis-identified by him as "government or quasi-government"

Post by KevinSim »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:44 pm
in other news....
By 1953 through request of the board of directors, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints assumed ownership of Utah Valley Hospital.
:roll:
That's great, Marcus! Touche!
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Peterson objects to rainbow flag on Utah Valley Hospital, mis-identified by him as "government or quasi-government"

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

He’s not wrong that the rainbow flag and its various iterations have become hyperpolitical, but I don’t understand why he thinks a hospital flying one is problematic, misidentification of a “quasi-government building” aside.
The original flag featured eight colors, each having a different meaning. At the top was hot pink, which represented sex, red for life, orange for healing, yellow signifying sunlight, green for nature, turquoise to represent art, indigo for harmony, and finally violet at the bottom for spirit.

^ I think that’s kind of all right. Who cares if it’s on a flagpole?

The only overtly political variation of the flag I can see is this one from wiki:

The red triangle represents Leftist whatevers.

Methinks with the Midge’s burning hot man love for him, DCP would be a little more open-minded.

eta: Flags take on the meanings we assign to them. If some or many people think the Gay flag has political connotations, so be it. Many others just view it as a symbol of support and inclusion. DCP is letting his mask slip a bit.

- Doc
Last edited by Doctor CamNC4Me on Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Complaining about the rainbow flag makes me think of the "old man yells at cloud" meme.
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

I don't know why Intermountain Healthcare's choice to fly a flag in support of LGBTQ+ civil rights is particularly noteworthy. They've been providing health insurance to the domestic partners of employees for over a decade (years before Obergefell v. Hodges).

Pretty business as usual for them. *shrug*
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Has the Church already commenced the campaign to get the the Supreme Court to overturn the same-sex marriage decision?

I understand the Church will be solely in the position of financier, but it was a wise and thoughtful touch to buy a diamond tiara for Ginny Thomas. Additionally, having the Osh Kosh Elders Quorum calling the staff of Senator Ron Johnson and having him deliver occasional kegs of Pabst Blue Ribbon to Justice Brett Kavanaugh would be a marvelous work and wonder. Maybe some extra cheddar hats and a pinup of Jim McMahon and Dallin Oaks.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

just to follow up, after stating this:
...on government and quasi-government buildings such as Utah Valley Hospital.... in which case, I think it quite inappropriate for the rainbow flag to be displayed on any government or quasi-government building.... State institutions should not be publicly taking partisan, political, or ideological stands...
peterson realizes he is incorrect to state that the hospital is a "government or quasi-government building."

Not that he actually corrects his error. :roll:
One of my readers here, who posts under the moniker tangata neneva, offered a comment that I found quite helpful. So I’m sharing it here so that more readers will see it:

Utah Valley Hospital is owned by Intermountain Health Care. ...

Furthermore, incidentally, a critic of mine has written to tell me that, contrary to what I wrote yesterday, Utah Valley Hospital belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But he’s wrong. It doesn’t....
:lol: in other words, no correction of his error in stating that the hospital is a "government or quasi-government building," which is what fueled his objection to the rainbow flag.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

Furthermore, incidentally, a critic of mine has written to tell me that...
This, from Peterson, is a fascinating glimpse into his ego. No, i didn't write the OP to "tell" him anything, but wow, that's quite interesting to see that he, in his obsessive reading here, interpreted it that way.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

You must also be the one who sends him those farcical illiterate harassment emails. Admit it!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

drumdude wrote:
Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:41 am
You must also be the one who sends him those farcical illiterate harassment emails. Admit it!
:lol: :lol: :lol: is there anyone here who Peterson has NOT yet accused? his ego knows no bounds.