Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
malkie
God

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by malkie »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:36 am
Marcus wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:34 pm
just continue on with the discussion, kevinsim.
And skip over all the posts I haven't read yet? Why is that better than responding to posts in the order they appear? Sure, there's going to be a backlog, since there are roughly eight posters responding to me and only me to answer them; but the alternative would be missing points that posters have made; how is that preferable?
One more thought from me, KevinSim - just a suggestion from an anonymous someone on the internet, whose ideas are worth exactly what you paid for them. You have to decide what is preferable.

You are not obliged to involve yourself by commenting on absolutely everything. You may see it as a good thing, but that does not make it essential, :) , much less manageable.

Perhaps if you cannot keep up with "roughly eight posters responding to me" it means that you are stretching yourself too thin, and need to find some way of concentrating your efforts on a smaller "target". It may mean not replying to some comments, or some commenters. You may be criticized for it, but that's what other people do anyway - sometimes by ignoring comments, and sometimes by explicitly saying that they are not going to respond. Of course, some questions are more important or fundamental than others, but the choice is yours.

One specific way that you might reduce your exposure would be to respond directly to questions, and avoid getting into back-and-forth over your asking posters to explain why they think that you think something. This takes up a lot of bandwidth.

If you do think XYZ, it may not matter much why someone thinks that you do - just answer their question about your belief. If you don't think XYZ, simply say that you don't, or perhaps mention why you don't.

Another might be to respond only to questions, not to non-question comments.

I'm sure that if you step back and look at the forms of your interactions on the board you can see patterns emerge, and can decide which patterns mostly lead to satisfactory engagements, and which mostly to unsatisfactory ones. But only you can make that analysis for you.

As an adult, you are responsible for you, and this is a situation you keep getting yourself into. Don't complain about being overwhelmed - either do something about it, or simply accept it and carry on as before.

I'll invoice you for $0.02 at the end of the month.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:27 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:33 pm
How hard is a fact supposed to be?
I guess I was trying to say it wasn't a fact at all. It might be true sometimes, but it's not true in general.
Is it hard?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:48 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:01 pm
Ironic that you call me MG and tell me I, a Latter-day Saint, am "fundamentally dishonest and prone to lying," Doc, or should I say IHAQ? It's clear as day that you and IHAQ are one and the same, and yet you call me dishonest because you say that KevinSim and MG are one and the same. What does that say about your own honesty, IHAQ? See, I can play the same game. I don't have a clue how I can prove I am not MG (other than what other posters have said about our different theologies and writing styles) and I suspect that you also don't know how to prove you're not IHAQ. Am I right?
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... den_death/

Please click on the link and read the post. After you’re done, can you please explain how a church can do that, and still be true?
So you have no qualms about ignoring me, but you don't want me to ignore you, Doc? I asked my question first. Once you've answered it then I'll be glad to talk about the Paul Adams story.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

KevinSim wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:14 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

Please click on the link and read the post. After you’re done, can you please explain how a church can do that, and still be true?
So you have no qualms about ignoring me, but you don't want me to ignore you, Doc? I asked my question first. Once you've answered it then I'll be glad to talk about the Paul Adams story.
KevinSim, you are responding to something Doc posted 10 days ago, and your response is to condition answering on Doc's answer one of your questions?

Have you any sense of irony? Or is this just a delaying tactic?

It will likely be September before you can get around to answering me, so maybe don't bother. I'll just leave this comment here for future reference.

I know that I should know better ...
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:04 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: how many times have you done this now? Quit being a troll. there is a discussion going on, participate if you want to but stop this trolling.
Marcus, why is it that you, and so many others, consider responding to posts in the order they were posted, to be a form of trolling?
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:14 am
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:

I posted the request upthread before you asked your question, so IAW your new rule I’ll oblige you to, “Please click on the link and read the post. After you’re done, can you please explain how a church can do that, and still be true?”

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:56 am
Marcus wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:04 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: how many times have you done this now? Quit being a troll. there is a discussion going on, participate if you want to but stop this trolling.
Marcus, why is it that you, and so many others, consider responding to posts in the order they were posted, to be a form of trolling?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: oh boy.

already asked and answered, multiple times.
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:09 pm

Yeah, “not MG” is simply trolling. He’ll not answer something, wait until ten pages goes by, and then resurrect the issue with a question and claim/assertion that he did x or y, which is nonsense. He’s not a serious person, and he’s totally not MG even though he posts exactly like MG. I dunno. Maybe MG Jr. heard the call and is following in Dad’s digital footsteps. *shrugs*

- Doc
agreed. this is pointless. but, the wheels on the bus go round and round, so...

kevinsims, why is it that you, and only you, consider NOT responding to posts to be a form of discourse?
malkie wrote:
Sun Aug 21, 2022 2:23 am

Have you any sense of irony? Or is this just a delaying tactic?

It will likely be September before you can get around to answering me, so maybe don't bother. I'll just leave this comment here for future reference.

I know that I should know better ...
don't we all.
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

KevinSim wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:55 pm
IHAQ wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:10 am
Are you a racist Kevin? Because your God is - you said the Book of Mormon gives a great description of God’s nature.
Is Racism one of those good things you’d like to see preserved forever by your God?
IHAQ, I am not a racist. Nor do I believe that my God is a racist. The Book of Mormon can indeed give a great description of God's nature without every word it says being true.
The Book of Mormon contains things that aren’t true? Wow! Now all we are left with is the question about how to reliably identify which bits aren’t true and which are…
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

IHAQ wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:52 am
KevinSim wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:55 pm

IHAQ, I am not a racist. Nor do I believe that my God is a racist. The Book of Mormon can indeed give a great description of God's nature without every word it says being true.
The Book of Mormon contains things that aren’t true? Wow! Now all we are left with is the question about how to reliably identify which bits aren’t true and which are…
It might be well to flesh this out a bit more:

…the Nephites were racist. This appears to be the most plausible view, and a close reading of the Book of Mormon appears to uphold this view. We get a hint of Nephites being racist toward the Lamanites in descriptions made of the Lamanites by the Nephites…

https://rationalfaiths.com/racism-in-th ... of-Mormon/
The conclusion of this essay:

One of the Book of Mormon record keepers, Moroni, says the following about the Book of Mormon and the fallibility of its record keepers:
“Condemn me not because of mine imperfection, neither my father, because of his imperfection, neither them who have written before him; but rather give thanks unto God that he hath made manifest unto you our imperfections, that ye may learn to be more wise than we have been.”
(Mormon 9:31)
In summary, the most plausible interpretation of the issue of skin color (as you read in 3 Nephi 2:15) is that it was more an issue of the racism that the Nephites held against the Lamanites; there was no actual change in skin color. One should not be surprised that someone from the 7th century BC through the 5th century AD would hold such horrible racist views. In fact, one of the reasons that Jesus’ parable of the Good Samaritan is so powerful is because of the racist views that Jews held toward the Samaritans.
I might suggest reading this essay and gaining a greater appreciation for historical context.

Regards,
MG
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

-_-

> posts blog entry from 2012 after quick Google search

> author says you have to already believe in Book of Mormon historicity

> author says Nephite record keepers were racist

Joseph Smith:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.