Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by KevinSim »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:04 pm
MG 2.0 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:17 pm
I am not Kevin Sim.
Matt Reeves's Joker knows who you are.
What does that mean, Doubtingthomas?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:24 am
If you don't believe that homo sapiens is the one good thing God has chosen to preserve or that homo sapiens is the one good thing that exists, all you have to do is correct me and identify the "some good thing" that your God knows how to preserve forever.
What I'm trying to do is sort of build a bridge between two ways of looking at God. The first is a faith-independent view based on as few assumptions about God as possible, and then builds up with pure reason. The second is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Because I am a Latter-day Saint, I believe that a subset of the human race, that Jesus has transformed (over who knows how long a period of time) into good people, is the good thing God will preserve forever. (Or perhaps one of the good things; I'm open to the possibility God might preserve more than just humans.) But using the other view, where God is more abstract, I quite honestly don't know what the good thing is that God is in the process of preserving.
Res Ipsa wrote:I've tried asking you questions, but you haven't answered them.
Sorry about that! It wasn't intentional. If you ask me again, or point me to the places where you asked the questions, I promise that I'll answer them if there's any way I can.
Res Ipsa wrote:What Meadowchick and I agree on, I believe, is that we don't owe a special duty to the "last" generation that we don't owe others.
I could be wrong; I don't have a perfect memory; but I don’t believe I ever said we do owe the last generation anything we don't owe each of the other generations.
Res Ipsa wrote:You've been asked a number of questions to clarify what you mean, which you've avoided answering. Instead of telling us what you mean, you divert to questions like "what did I say that made you think that?"
Well yes, when someone asks me why I think X, and it turns out I don't think X, then what am I supposed to say? It's always seemed to me like the most tactful thing to do is ask how the asker knows the thing the question implies is itself true. Am I wrong?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:06 am
... Because I am a Latter-day Saint, I believe that a subset of the human race, that Jesus has transformed (over who knows how long a period of time) into good people, is the good thing God will preserve forever....
because you are LDS, you believe a subset "is the good thing God will preserve forever...." Do you believe this subset is comprised of those designated LDS?
honorentheos
God

Post by honorentheos »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:06 am
But using the other view, where God is more abstract, I quite honestly don't know what the good thing is that God is in the process of preserving.
Probably because "good" is a value judgement that assumes a subjective opinion as a point of comparison. One has to accept a certain set of values first before one can judge something to be "good".
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Marcus wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:03 pm
KevinSims, we are on page forty of this thread, multiple people, including you, have been responding about this very assumption, asking you to explain and even giving their own thoughts trying to understand what you meant (kudos to Res ipsa), and yet you went all the way back to page thirty to get my comment above.
I logged onto this forum yesterday, clicked on this thread's topic, and this post popped up, Marcus. Part of the problem here is that those "multiple people" number about eight or nine (very rough guess), and there's just me responding to all of them. Furthermore, I don't have anywhere near unlimited time. I'm trying to respond to each post that appears to need a response, roughly in the order they appeared, and I've gotten behind; so there is a backlog. So yes, my post on page 40 or so is in response to an article that appears on page 30. Marcus, do you suggest that I do something else? Should I just write off all posts between pages 30 and 42 and just try to respond to respond to posts on page 43 without reading anything else for context?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:50 pm
Aaaaand this is why I point out just how fundamentally dishonest and prone to lying Mormons are. MG, for the fiftieth time you do, in fact, represent Mormonism, the Mormon priesthood, and yourself when you post here and lie through your teeth. Just stop.
Ironic that you call me MG and tell me I, a Latter-day Saint, am "fundamentally dishonest and prone to lying," Doc, or should I say IHAQ? It's clear as day that you and IHAQ are one and the same, and yet you call me dishonest because you say that KevinSim and MG are one and the same. What does that say about your own honesty, IHAQ? See, I can play the same game. I don't have a clue how I can prove I am not MG (other than what other posters have said about our different theologies and writing styles) and I suspect that you also don't know how to prove you're not IHAQ. Am I right?
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:19 pm
Marcus wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:03 pm
KevinSims, we are on page forty of this thread, multiple people, including you, have been responding about this very assumption, asking you to explain and even giving their own thoughts trying to understand what you meant (kudos to Res ipsa), and yet you went all the way back to page thirty to get my comment above.
I logged onto this forum yesterday, clicked on this thread's topic, and this post popped up, Marcus. Part of the problem here is that those "multiple people" number about eight or nine (very rough guess), and there's just me responding to all of them. Furthermore, I don't have anywhere near unlimited time. I'm trying to respond to each post that appears to need a response, roughly in the order they appeared, and I've gotten behind; so there is a backlog. So yes, my post on page 40 or so is in response to an article that appears on page 30. Marcus, do you suggest that I do something else? Should I just write off all posts between pages 30 and 42 and just try to respond to respond to posts on page 43 without reading anything else for context?
:lol: :lol: :lol: how many times have you done this now? Quit being a troll. there is a discussion going on, participate if you want to but stop this trolling.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:24 am
doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 8:04 pm
Matt Reeves's Joker knows who you are.
What does that mean, Doubtingthomas?
Watch the Arkham deleted scene.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:01 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:50 pm
Aaaaand this is why I point out just how fundamentally dishonest and prone to lying Mormons are. MG, for the fiftieth time you do, in fact, represent Mormonism, the Mormon priesthood, and yourself when you post here and lie through your teeth. Just stop.
Ironic that you call me MG and tell me I, a Latter-day Saint, am "fundamentally dishonest and prone to lying," Doc, or should I say IHAQ? It's clear as day that you and IHAQ are one and the same, and yet you call me dishonest because you say that KevinSim and MG are one and the same. What does that say about your own honesty, IHAQ? See, I can play the same game. I don't have a clue how I can prove I am not MG (other than what other posters have said about our different theologies and writing styles) and I suspect that you also don't know how to prove you're not IHAQ. Am I right?
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... den_death/

Please click on the link and read the post. After you’re done, can you please explain how a church can do that, and still be true?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Rivendale wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:39 pm
They were indoctrinated. Everyone is indoctrinated. Consciences are a product of social indoctrinations and basic circuitry that your body has.
Rivendale, were you indoctrinated?