Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by IHAQ »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:08 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:25 am
… I've flirted with atheism since early in my mission in 1979, but I'm simply not the kind of person that would seriously consider a universe without God in charge of it.
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:25 am
Back in Autumn 1976 as a seventeen-year-old, I asked God if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was true, and God told me yes. That's why I believe in that Church.
So, God answered your prayers in 1976, but you started to “flirt with atheism” since 1979?

:roll:

Let us know when you get your stories straight and want to actually engage in good faith discussion about Mormonism.

- Doc
KevinSim, what happened on your mission to make you consider there wasn’t a God?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

(Deleted duplicate.)
Last edited by KevinSim on Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

(Deleted duplicate.)
Last edited by KevinSim on Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:51 am
I’d ask you to think about that for a hot second, but I’m not sure thinking is a priority when there’s feeling to be done. “You cannot reason people out of positions they didn't reason themselves into.”
Doc, why do you think I didn't reason myself into my current position?
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I guess this question has to be asked now, “If the Church wasn’t true, whatever truth means to you, would you want to know and would you put in the work to study it out in good faith?”
Yes, I would want to know. What exactly is "the work to study it out in good faith"? I'd like to know what I'm committing myself to before I commit to it.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:17 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:51 am
I’d ask you to think about that for a hot second, but I’m not sure thinking is a priority when there’s feeling to be done. “You cannot reason people out of positions they didn't reason themselves into.”
Doc, why do you think I didn't reason myself into my current position?
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:I guess this question has to be asked now, “If the Church wasn’t true, whatever truth means to you, would you want to know and would you put in the work to study it out in good faith?”
Yes, I would want to know. What exactly is "the work to study it out in good faith"? I'd like to know what I'm committing myself to before I commit to it.
Great. Would you be interested in participating on a new thread that will examine and deconstruct LDS truth claims?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 5:20 am
How did God tell you "Yes"? and what does the Holy Ghost feel like?
The experience was the culmination of a long attempt to establish contact with God. Finally, in 1976, in complete desperation I threw myself at God, asking God, "Is it?" By it I meant the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and what I meant was, "Is it true?" Almost in the same moment I asked the question I felt a rushing, tingling sensation course through my whole body, very much affirmative. I felt like I had no choice but to conclude that that feeling was God telling me yes. Later some doubt crept in, and I wondered if there might be some other explanation for the rushing sensation, so I told God I was going to live my life as if that sensation was His answer to my question, but I was going to stay open to anything else He had to say about the matter. I kept that promise, and so far He hasn't corrected my assumption that that sensation was His answer.
Was what I experienced the Holy Spirit? I have guessed it was, but I don't know if the Holy Spirit is limited to giving people sensations like that in answers to questions they ask.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:19 pm
God told my wife's best friend that her first husband would be her eternal mate. He also told her the same thing on each of her next three husbands. She is not a widow.
Why in the world would that friend believe God would be obligated to tell her anything about how long each of these husbands would be her mate?
Fence Sitter wrote:God has told many people that Warren Jeffs is a true prophet of His church.
The RLDS also believe the Book of Mormon to be true and pray about it the same way you do.
I have thought about writing a short story where a young man encounters a Latter-day Saint man who tells him he asked God if the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is true, and God told him it was true. This acquaintance urges him to ask God himself and find out for himself. Shortly afterwards a young woman tells him a very similar story, but this time she says that God told her the FLDS Church is the one that's true. This really confuses the (sort of) investigator, and he finally goes to God by himself, expresses his frustration, and begs God to tell him what the truth actually is. God replies by saying, "It's the Church of Christ, Temple Lot. And yes, I do know what I'm doing. I had reasons for pointing (previous acquaintance) to the LDS Church and for pointing (FLDS girl) to the FLDS Church, and you just need to trust me that I have reasons to point you to the Church of Christ, Temple Lot." My point is that each of us has to rely on what God tells each of us personally. I have no right to tell the FLDS girl that it wasn't God talking to her. Similarly, it's a huge mistake to assume God was mistaken when S/He gave Her/His answer to me.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

IHAQ wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:41 am
What kind of person would you need to be to seriously consider a universe without <insert your favourite flavour of deity> in charge of it?
A pessimist.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 2:40 pm
I read his comment as noting that, in his starting conditions, he is unable to NOT assume his conclusion. in other words, he has no capacity to reach a conclusion not already dictated by how he currently lives. indoctrination dies hard.
Marcus, I was certainly indoctrinated. Does it logically follow that I must believe everything everyone tried to indoctrinate me on?
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 5:08 pm
Let us know when you get your stories straight and want to actually engage in good faith discussion about Mormonism.
Doc, the two stories are not mutually exclusive. In 1976 I asked God a question and got a clear answer that I was sure came from God if there is a God. Later I developed doubts that there is a God. But I said "flirting" because I never came out and decided there was no God.