Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by drumdude »

I firmly believe that truth will stand against all criticism. To be intellectually Honest with myself I ask that you respectfully Give me your best arguments against the Church.

Just to be clear This isn't some troll post, I'm legitimately trying to challenge my views. I'm also not so concerned about "the church" itself as I am with Doctrine, the Bible etc. That all being said have fun with a fresh Mormon boy mind.

EDIT: WOW there are a LOT of comments to go through, I have to drive home, so there's going to be a pause on my responses for a bit but I will try my best to talk with everyone, thank you for trying to be fair with me I really appreciate it.

EDIT 2: I'm Home, and this is well... a LOT... I feel like I'm drinking out of a firehose. The sheer number of claims to look into, and my lack of knowledge are much greater than I had anticipated. I don't think I'll be able to respond to everyone and I don't know about my beliefs as much anymore, for or against the church. The only thing I know now is that I believe in God but that's about it. It's going to take time for me to form my opinions again. I'm sorry if this is unsatisfactory to yall, but its true.

Edit 3: Final: I have looked into some of the websites listed... I feel sick... I have a wife and parents that are members. The 4th of July party is looming, and I know the one thing that is almost always talked about is religion... I have not thrown out the church yet, and I almost wish it were that easy because then I would at least HAVE a position to posit but... no, I'm left with a cold dark emptiness and no easy answers. But I can say this, thank you for mostly being accepting, and even if you have disagreed with the nature of this post, know that I do not hate, nor blame you for your suspicion. I will not be adding updates to the post but may respond to comments. Now if you don't mind I'm going to go sit in the bathroom for a while while I try to figure out what to do with my life/ figure out the truth.
https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... criptural/

This is how isolated from the truth Mormons are in 2022. It's incredible the amount of mind control the church has over its members. Getting them to avoid basic church history facts over two decades after the Internet became widely available to most Americans.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by KevinSim »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:58 am
It's incredible the amount of mind control the church has over its members. Getting them to avoid basic church history facts over two decades after the Internet became widely available to most Americans.
Drumdude, I'm a member. How is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints controlling my mind?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

6 hours? I bet he would have left the Church in 3 hours if he had visited SeN and read some posts by Midge and DCP.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:45 am
drumdude wrote:
It's incredible the amount of mind control the church has over its members. Getting them to avoid basic church history facts over two decades after the Internet became widely available to most Americans.
Drumdude, I'm a member. How is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints controlling my mind?
Kevin, I did not claim you were being controlled. I claimed this Mormon was because there is no other explanation for how he was completely unaware of the information provided to him on ex-Mormon reddit. You and I both know what the church teaches about going outside of correlated materials. Simply by posting with us on this forum you are going against what the LDS leaders teach.

I don't think this ex-Mormon on reddit is the only member of the church that would have a similar experience when they finally look up the facts.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
drumdude wrote:
They don’t have to control a mind that controls itself. You don’t read crap and you choose tribalism because *reasons*. You’re the perfect Mormon.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

KevinSim wrote:
How is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints controlling my mind?
If you start to remember the electrodes, the voltage will automatically increase. To decrease the intensity, just say out loud, "I do believe in prophets".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:54 am
KevinSim wrote:
How is the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints controlling my mind?
If you start to remember the electrodes, the voltage will automatically increase. To decrease the intensity, just say out loud, "I do believe in prophets".
:lol:
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Seems fake to me.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:22 pm
Seems fake to me.
I think so to. The Mormon bubble can't be that impenetrable can it?
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Rivendale wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:29 pm
I think so to. The Mormon bubble can't be that impenetrable can it?
I think you mean “penetrable.”
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024