Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
KevinSim
Bishop

Re: Faithful TBM to doubter in 6 hours on ex-Mormon Reddit

Post by KevinSim »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:32 am
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:06 am
... Because I am a Latter-day Saint, I believe that a subset of the human race, that Jesus has transformed (over who knows how long a period of time) into good people, is the good thing God will preserve forever....
because you are LDS, you believe a subset "is the good thing God will preserve forever...." Do you believe this subset is comprised of those designated LDS?
The "L" in "LDS" stands for "Latter." There will be many people in that subset who are not Latter-day Saints. And there are many Latter-day Saints who won't be in that subset. Every person in that subset will have been baptized by someone with God's authority, or will have died before reaching the age of accountability.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:42 pm
Are you caught in some sort of temporal loop? What’s up with addressing week-old posts you’ve ignored? It’s very trollish behavior since people and the discussion move on after a day or so. Speaking of which:
KevinSim wrote:
Wed Jul 06, 2022 3:25 am
I've flirted with atheism since early in my mission in 1979
Did you ever figure out why you flirted with atheism AFTER God answered your prayer that the Mormon organization was true? Seems odd one would flirt with that ideology after having had an interaction with a god.
Doc, make up your mind. Do you want me to post about things people posted a long time ago or don't you? You started by advising me to stop addressing "week-old posts," and then you ask me to explain my flirting with atheism which dates from way earlier than those weeks-old posts. So which do you want me to do? (By the way, I explained my flirting with atheism a long time ago.)
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:33 pm
KevinSim wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:39 am
I'm not sure that's a hard fact.
How hard is a fact supposed to be?
I guess I was trying to say it wasn't a fact at all. It might be true sometimes, but it's not true in general.
KevinSim
Bishop

Post by KevinSim »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:34 pm
just continue on with the discussion, kevinsim.
And skip over all the posts I haven't read yet? Why is that better than responding to posts in the order they appear? Sure, there's going to be a backlog, since there are roughly eight posters responding to me and only me to answer them; but the alternative would be missing points that posters have made; how is that preferable?
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:36 am
Marcus wrote:
And skip over all the posts I haven't read yet? Why is that better than responding to posts in the order they appear? Sure, there's going to be a backlog, since there are roughly eight posters responding to me and only me to answer them; but the alternative would be missing points that posters have made; how is that preferable?
I won't speak for anyone else, but here's my experience and expectation:

You replied a couple of days ago to something I said almost 10 days earlier, and I in turn commented 2 days later.

When you get around to replying, it will likely be 3 weeks or more from my last-but-one comment. To see the context I will have to go back perhaps a month. I'm not sure that I'm interested in trying to have a conversation like this.

So, for me, if you can't keep up a reasonable pace of exchanges, I don't expect you to waste your time responding at all - especially if your response is to ask me why I think that you think that ... ...
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:11 am
Marcus wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:32 am

because you are LDS, you believe a subset "is the good thing God will preserve forever...." Do you believe this subset is comprised of those designated LDS?
The "L" in "LDS" stands for "Latter." There will be many people in that subset who are not Latter-day Saints. And there are many Latter-day Saints who won't be in that subset. Every person in that subset will have been baptized by someone with God's authority, or will have died before reaching the age of accountability.
So, you are here insisting that it is EVERYONE'S obligation to somehow come up with a god concept, and EVERYONE should somehow get that god concept to "preserve" ... only those who are in your special little subset?

Okay, sure. Let's get right on that. :roll: the ultimate MLM scheme.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

KevinSim wrote:
Marcus wrote:
Here is my quote with the context restored:
Marcus wrote:
i quoted Doc once before, but you still don't seem to get the point:
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 11:09 pm
...He’ll not answer something, wait until ten pages goes by, and then resurrect the issue with a question and claim/assertion that he did x or y...

- Doc
Why are you taking comments out of context, and then asking questions unrelated to the comment?
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Marcus wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:27 am

Okay, sure. Let's get right on that. :roll: the ultimate MLM scheme.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

malkie wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:06 am
KevinSim wrote:

I won't speak for anyone else, but here's my experience and expectation:

You replied a couple of days ago to something I said almost 10 days earlier, and I in turn commented 2 days later.

When you get around to replying, it will likely be 3 weeks or more from my last-but-one comment. To see the context I will have to go back perhaps a month. I'm not sure that I'm interested in trying to have a conversation like this.

So, for me, if you can't keep up a reasonable pace of exchanges, I don't expect you to waste your time responding at all - especially if your response is to ask me why I think that you think that ... ...
This answer works for me too, malkie. Well said.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

KevinSim wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:24 am
(By the way, I explained my flirting with atheism a long time ago.)
You didn’t. And you certainly haven’t explained why you continue to shill for an organization that literally protects men who have sex with their children, to include literal babies. I’m looking forward to your dumb and rhetorical question, sure to be asked, in 10-14 days. Because. You know. You just can’t keep up with conversations because you’re so busy. :roll:

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.