Louis C. Midgley Accuses John Dehlin Of Serving A “Ragged” Mission.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Louis C. Midgley Accuses John Dehlin Of Serving A “Ragged” Mission.

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

I know it’s hard to be surprised at anything Midge says, but his recent comment about John Dehlin’s mission is interesting.

How does Midge know John Dehlin’s mission was ragged? What the hell does a “ragged mission” even mean?

IIRCC, Midge once accused John Dehlin of killing a fellow missionary?

Midge and DCP really are despicable.
“Midge” wrote: John Dehlin came to BYU with a huge scholarship, and then served a ragged mission….

Louis C. Midgley pictured here with his volume 1 of 13 books containing Gina Colvin’s personal data and email clippings.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
drumdude
God

Re: Louis C. Midgley Accuses John Dehlin Of Serving A “Ragged” Mission.

Post by drumdude »

I figured it was a reference to the fraudulent basketball baptisms that were rampant across the world and in John’s mission at that time.
Dr LOD
Nursery

Post by Dr LOD »

Dehlin does talk about his mission in that way. It probably was ragged due to the inept mission leadership, by the mission presidents.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

If I recall correctly Midgley accused John of serving a “pathetic mission” a year or so ago. What a pathetic old bully he is. How judgmental, unempathetic and pharisaical. I have no doubt Louis would have joined with Oaks and Bednar in passing out nails at the crucifixion.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:32 pm
If I recall correctly Midgley accused John of serving a “pathetic mission” a year or so ago. What a pathetic old bully he is. How judgmental, unempathetic and pharisaical. I have no doubt Louis would have joined with Oaks and Bednar in passing out nails at the crucifixion.
OUCH!!! (But true)
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:32 pm
I’d take it as an honor if midgley called my mission ragged and pathetic. The old due, to carry forth the crucifixion thing, knows not what he’s saying. Me, a young fool intent on sharing my ignorance to save people from make believe horrors. That was kinda pathetic and ragged. I wish I stayed home and finished school early, sometimes. It’s part of me though.

Please midgley tell everyone my mission was ragged and pathetic. I agreee.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Bond
Star B

Post by Bond »

I'd love to see a larger discussion about if missionaries who went to the "first world" looked down on missionaries who went to "third world" countries to see how much casual racism we can uncover. I suspect there are a lot of missionaries who got two converts in the Netherlands and still look down on the guy who got 9 in Chile.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

Bond wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:46 pm
I'd love to see a larger discussion about if missionaries who went to the "first world" looked down on missionaries who went to "third world" countries to see how much casual racism we can uncover. I suspect there are a lot of missionaries who got two converts in the Netherlands and still look down on the guy who got 9 in Chile.
Pretty sure it works out the opposite. And I'm not sure racism is a key factor on it. But that may just be my insecurities having been a first world missionary who always felt looked down upon for not doing a hard mission. Or something. Often a "yeah..but, you went to the states, right?" Said with the tone suggesting it wasn't a real mission or something. Maybe we can eek out some white savior mentality in that though.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Bond wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:46 pm
Having been a missionary in a first world country myself, I can say from personal experience that neither I nor anyone I knew looked down on missionaries who served in the third world. If anything, we were envious about all the success they routinely saw while we didn't.

And believe you me, casual racism didn't fuel such envy in any way, shape, or form.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

agree shades. first world missionaries commonly looked up to third world missionaries. the calling to third world was a sign of greater righteousness and/or potential for church leadership.