Daniel Peterson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tavares Standfield
Sunbeam

Re: Daniel Peterson

Post by Tavares Standfield »

This board is a continuation of the good work started by John Dehlin.

More than a decade ago, John realized the destructive and soul-crushing antics of Daniel Peterson and the entire FARMS enterprise. But rather than sit on his hands, John decided that something needed to be done. He began a mult-year plan to neutralize the influence of DCP and reduce the real-world harm he was causing doubting-mos and exmos. Mormon Stories gave John the opportunity to "play both sides" as it were. By interviewing both faithful Saints and harsh critics, he was able to build a following of considerable size.

Once John's fame had risen to the level where his name was used on an internal Q12 powerpoint, he was ready to make his move. When Greg Smith wrote his disgusting screed, John found his opportunity. He reached out to contacts in the Q12 and set things in motion.

Well, John was able to accomplish what no critic of the Church had done before: he dethroned Dan Peterson. Rather than spew his hate in book form published by the Church, DCP has been relegated to glorified blogs.

This board keeps DCP honest and serves the important purpose of neutralizing the negative impact DCP can have on the world of Mopologetics.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

i certainly agree this board influences DCP. in addition to noting almost every comment about him here and responding specifically to them on his blog, his plagiarism decreased dramatically in response to its documentation here.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

I don't feel very defensive about it. I think we do have way too much to say about Dan. If we stuck to his ideas, I'd be much happier. I think we've taken things way too far in our talks about him. I'd like to say everyone else is to blame, but I think I've breached the line myself. To the OP: Fair enough. "Obsessed" may be a bit too far, but I get the point.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos