Church Historian's July 6, 1981 diary entry

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Church Historian's July 6, 1981 diary entry

Post by sock puppet »

Leonard Arrington, in the last year he was THE Church Historian wrote in his diary:

"What is most disturbing is the apparent feeling on the part of some that we are letting historical cats out of the bag. What they ought to realize is that the cats have been out of the bag long before we came in, in 1972, and that our efforts have been to try to minimize the historical impact of those unfavorable facts and to put the lid on other facts that can be found by intense study of the Archival material that would damage the Church and all of its officers."

Yet, I have read Dan Peterson claim over and over and over that there has been no such effort, and that it is each ex-Mo's fault for not having studied deeper, sooner than when he or she eventually did.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Re: Church Historian's July 6, 1981 diary entry

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

..,our efforts have been to try to minimize the historical impact of those unfavorable facts and to put the lid on other facts that can be found by intense study of the Archival material that would damage the Church and all of its officers.
For an organization that loves to tell the public they have nothing to hide, they sure have gone to great lengths to hide.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 1:16 am
For an organization that loves to tell the public they have nothing to hide, they sure have gone to great lengths to hide.
But this secrecy and dishonesty are perfectly understandable since members would leave and tithing revenues would fall.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
IHAQ
God

Post by IHAQ »

The Church is only ever truthful about cats that someone else already let out of the bag.
sock puppet
2nd Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Jul 08, 2022 7:31 am
The Church is only ever truthful about cats that someone else already let out of the bag.
and at that, try to downplay the loose cats.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats