Miracles and The 100 Prisoners Problem

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Miracles and The 100 Prisoners Problem

Post by doubtingthomas »

There are 100 numbered prisoners waiting outside and 100 numbered boxes in a room. The boxes in the room are all in numerical order and have a label. All the boxes have another number (1-100) inside, but the number inside a box doesn't necessarily match the number that is printed on the label, the numbers inside the boxes are randomly distributed. No number repeats.

The prisoners must enter the room one at a time. When a prisoner is inside, he has to open the boxes to look for his own number.

The Rules

Only one prisoner can be inside the room at a time.
Each prisoner is allowed to open 50 boxes.
Before leaving the room, the prisoners have to close the boxes, exactly like they were.
A prisoner is not allowed to communicate with others after he enters and leaves the room.

All 100 prisoners have to find their assigned number. The probability of success is (1/2)^100.

What strategy can the prisoners use prisoners improve their probability of success to 0.31?

Answer: Prayer. If the prisoners are successful, it means God helped them.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... 45061-0_28
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
huckelberry
God

Re: Miracles and The 100 Prisoners Problem

Post by huckelberry »

DoubtingThomas,
How much are you paying god to participate in this study? If you are paying somebody why do you think the funds are reaching God instead of being pocketed by the middleman?
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I think there are two definitions of miracle that are commonly confused. One is something unlikely happening. Like flipping a coin heads up 100 times in a row.

The other miracle is something impossible happening. Like a decapitated human regrowing a head.

The first type of miracle is not very convincing. On a long enough time scale with enough attempts, statistics tell us the event is more and more likely to happen. Statistics also tells us that improbable events can happen well before they are likely to occur, just as likely events can NOT happen for longer than we would expect. The bell curve has non-zero tails at either end.

The second type of miracle is much more convincing. If it could be demonstrated that Jesus Christ's brain had undergone physical decomposition, and 3 days later reconstructed itself, it would be proof in my mind that Christ was divine because he violated the universal physical law of entropy. You would need a computer larger than the Universe itself to model the decomposition process of his brain well enough to be able to 100% reverse it. The information loss and reconstruction would be a miracle.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

drumdude wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:07 pm
If it could be demonstrated that Jesus Christ's brain had undergone physical decomposition, and 3 days later reconstructed itself, it would be proof in my mind that Christ was divine because he violated the universal physical law of entropy. You would need a computer larger than the Universe itself to model the decomposition process of his brain well enough to be able to 100% reverse it. The information loss and reconstruction would be a miracle.
Or God just used the same technology that lizards use for tail regeneration with a twist.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Rivendale wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:11 pm
drumdude wrote:
If it could be demonstrated that Jesus Christ's brain had undergone physical decomposition, and 3 days later reconstructed itself, it would be proof in my mind that Christ was divine because he violated the universal physical law of entropy. You would need a computer larger than the Universe itself to model the decomposition process of his brain well enough to be able to 100% reverse it. The information loss and reconstruction would be a miracle.
Or God just used the same technology that lizards use for tail regeneration with a twist.
Indeed! :lol:
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

I don’t understand the question - how can they increase the odds of success to a precise probability of 31%?

This would be impossible to measure if you only run the experiment once. So, the answer is inconsistent with the question, as posed. The answer, pray, by definition assumes no statistical post hoc assessment is feasible.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:28 pm
I don’t understand the question - how can they increase the odds of success to a precise probability of 31%?
It's 31.18% :D
Dr Moore wrote:
This would be impossible to measure if you only run the experiment once.
The probability of success is (1/2)^100 when the prisoners don't have a strategy. There is a strategy to increase the probability to 0.31. You can look up the "100 Prisoners Problem". Increasing the probability from 0.5^100 to 0.31 looks miraculous.
Dr Moore wrote:
The answer, pray, by definition assumes no statistical post hoc assessment is feasible.
I'm being sarcastic with the answer because many people think prayer is the answer to all problems.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:07 am, edited 5 times in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

drumdude wrote:
I think there are two definitions of miracle that are commonly confused. One is something unlikely happening. Like flipping a coin heads up 100 times in a row.
Makes sense.
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:05 pm
If you are paying somebody why do you think the funds are reaching God instead of being pocketed by the middleman?
No.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

Rivendale wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:11 pm
drumdude wrote:
Result:
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 10:09 pm
drumdude wrote:
Makes sense.
huckelberry wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:05 pm
If you are paying somebody why do you think the funds are reaching God instead of being pocketed by the middleman?
No.
doubtingthomas
perhaps I could make my view simpler. If there is a God who hears prayers he or she will not participate in your experiment.

I may know different people than you but I cannot remember myself ever thinking prayer was the answer to all problems and was not aware that anybody I knew thought such a thing.

Best approach to problems is to pick up your own responsibility and get to it.