Miracles and The 100 Prisoners Problem

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
doubtingthomas
God

Re: Miracles and The 100 Prisoners Problem

Post by doubtingthomas »

huckelberry wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:44 pm
I may know different people than you but I cannot remember myself ever thinking prayer was the answer to all problems and was not aware that anybody I knew thought such a thing.

Best approach to problems is to pick up your own responsibility and get to it.
So you believe in some form of Christian Deism?
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:28 pm
I don’t understand the question - how can they increase the odds of success to a precise probability of 31%?
So hopefully this helps
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_prisoners_problem

I probably have to do a better job at explaining things.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Sat Jul 09, 2022 7:55 pm
There are 100 numbered prisoners waiting outside and 100 numbered boxes in a room. The boxes in the room are all in numerical order and have a label. All the boxes have another number (1-100) inside, but the number inside a box doesn't necessarily match the number that is printed on the label, the numbers inside the boxes are randomly distributed. No number repeats.

The prisoners must enter the room one at a time. When a prisoner is inside, he has to open the boxes to look for his own number.

The Rules

Only one prisoner can be inside the room at a time.
Each prisoner is allowed to open 50 boxes.
Before leaving the room, the prisoners have to close the boxes, exactly like they were.
A prisoner is not allowed to communicate with others after he enters and leaves the room.

All 100 prisoners have to find their assigned number. The probability of success is (1/2)^100.

What strategy can the prisoners use prisoners improve their probability of success to 0.31?

Answer: Prayer. If the prisoners are successful, it means God helped them.

https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.10 ... 45061-0_28
God is not obligated to improve their probability of success.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

msnobody wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:47 am
God is not obligated to improve their probability of success.
Two things occur to me here:
  1. Has God not said that if you ask in faith you shall receive?
  2. An un-obligated God, or a God who reneges on a promise, may be completely indistinguishable from a non-existent God
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

I read this article a couple of years ago that lists death row inmates last meals and last words.
https://www.al.com/news/g66l-2019/05/b4 ... h-row.html
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7