Mormon modesty double standards

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Mormon modesty double standards

Post by drumdude »

Do they make garments that fit the woman on the right?

doubtingthomas
God

Re: Mormon modesty double standards

Post by doubtingthomas »

Who is she? The girl on the right.

Some double standards are perfectly fine!
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
SaturdaysVoyeur
CTR A

Post by SaturdaysVoyeur »

I agree the outfits at Rexburg are ridiculous (they look miserably hot, too), and I agree that BYU Provo's outfits are cuter because the flagship campus doesn't want to look like a bunch of hicks.

But wouldn't cheerleading be considered a sport, and it's allowable by even the most TBM standards to remove your garments for sports?

I'm not sure it's fair to question why the Provo cheerleader isn't wearing garments, when we wouldn't expect, say, the swim team to wear them.

The girl in the Provo picture also looks pretty young, so it's possible she hasn't been endowed yet and wouldn't be wearing garments at all.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

SaturdaysVoyeur wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:19 am
I agree the outfits at Rexburg are ridiculous (they look miserably hot, too), and I agree that BYU Provo's outfits are cuter because the flagship campus doesn't want to look like a bunch of hicks.
If the Rexburg cheerleaders wore burqas, it would show everyone the devoted religious nature of the BYU-I administration. When the BYU-I President was voted onto the Church Board of Directors (Brethren) he could point to the burqas as his contribution to the Church.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng
LDS.org wrote:Look for athletes—both within Church membership and those of other faiths—who have found ways to pursue their athletic ambitions while maintaining a certain standard of dress.
Clearly the BYU athlete needs to look to the BYU-I athlete who found ways to pursue their athletic ambition while maintaining a certain standard of dress!
SaturdaysVoyeur
CTR A

drumdude wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 5:42 am
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng
LDS.org wrote:Look for athletes—both within Church membership and those of other faiths—who have found ways to pursue their athletic ambitions while maintaining a certain standard of dress.
Clearly the BYU athlete needs to look to the BYU-I athlete who found ways to pursue their athletic ambition while maintaining a certain standard of dress!
Yeah, that's probably what BYU-I's reason is for draping their cheerleaders in sweater dresses and leggings. Those poor girls must be too hot to breathe, flipping around in what amounts to a ski parka. (Just look at the one on the left---her face is bright red!)

But it's no newsflash that Rexburg has always been cray-cray about forcing young women to cover up their bodies. I don't think that's actually what the New Era article is getting at though. Lots of other Church materials shame girls into covering up their bodies, which was very damaging to me personally as a young woman.

But this one seems comparatively reasonable, acknowledging the practical demands of the sport ("if the lack of length and sleeves are used to make the sport easier to play, then it may have a purpose that makes it appropriate").

That fits here: The Provo cheerleader's outfit is far more practical for the demands of her sport, in the sense that she doesn't look about to pass out from heat stroke.

Your original question though was about whether the Provo cheerleader is wearing garments. It's never been my understanding that garments are to be worn during sports----even if the sports attire would fully cover the garment.

I never took out my endowments, but that's the way garments are handled among the people I know. It's not so much about covering up the body as about not defiling the garment by sweating all over it. Same as some TBM women will remove their garment bottoms during their period to avoid defiling it with menstrual blood.

And, again, both these girls look too young to have gone through the temple yet, so they probably don't even wear garments. I'm a little surprised at how short the Provo outfit is, but I think most cheerleaders wear matching shorts under their skirts, since even Gentiles aren't keen to flash their crotch at the crowd when doing a flip.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I defiled my garments on a nearly daily basis with gallons of sweat. Unless you live on the North Pole or have a BMI under 20 I don’t see how it’s possible not to.

The church even told members not to take it off for yard work in the summer heat! I spent way too many days suffering needlessly for a stupid magic undershirt.
SaturdaysVoyeur
CTR A

drumdude wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:59 am
The church even told members not to take it off for yard work in the summer heat! I spent way too many days suffering needlessly for a stupid magic undershirt.
Right?? To this day, my dad (who is getting up there in age) will wear his garments while mowing the lawn or shoveling snow. However, he will take them off when he plays tennis, even though his tennis outfit would probably cover them.

When we went on family camping trips as kids, my parents either didn't bring their garments or at least didn't wear them. These tended to be pretty outdoorsy affairs, not RV parks with air conditioning. Hiking, swimming, winter camping, hot desert camping.

My parents are not liberal Mormons. Or at least I've never thought of them as such. They wear their garments at almost all times. But I grew up with an understanding that sports were a time when garments actually should be removed. Then you shower afterwards and put them back on.

I think they would say wearing them while hiking in the desert with a half dozen kids is extremism, not devotion or obedience. But then Dad will wear his faithfully while doing yard work, even though it leaves him red-faced and I worry about his heart. :?