Stephen Smoot's Vendetta

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
dastardly stem
God

Re: Stephen Smoot's Vendetta

Post by dastardly stem »

I was certain this guy would have been out of the church by now. What do I know? Sounds like the dude is way more petty than I thought he was. Plus:
It is my contention that the Heartland movement in general—and Brother Neville’s writings in particular—are a case study in sloppy thinking, poor scholarship, and agenda-driven conclusions. It is also my contention that the popularity of the Heartland movement stems largely from its foundations in American nationalism and misguided patriotic fervor, along with appeals to conspiracy theories and pseudoscience.
He’s teasing us, I think. Isn’t this what apologetics, and by extension, Mormon apologetics is?
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:59 pm

Which is worse? Being wrong? Or being an asshole about it? Actually, the answer matters. I think, Doctor, herein we find the most irreducible theorem of Mopologetics -- a double negative is positive. If you are nice and wrong, you're wrong. If you're an asshole and wrong, 'tis all good.
I think you’re on to something, Dr. Moore, though Dr. Peterson would no doubt argue that Neville *is* an “asshole.” DCP has never specified what is was that Neville said or did exactly—so far as I know, anyhow—but he definitely seems to think that the key “value” of “Neville-Neville Land” lies in the fact that is basically functioning as retaliation for whatever it is that Neville allegedly “did” to DCP.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Gadianton wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:00 am
Quite a picture of Lou Midgley you obtained from his younger, more spritely days, professor.
No doubt the picture was taken sometime before his visage was warped by his hate-fueled and perverted fixation on Gina Colvin.
I think you must be right that Never-Never land is a startup with hopes of bringing the Old School back into play.
Yes: the echoes of SHIELDS are remarkable, except whereas the heavy artillery used to be reserved for the likes of James White, Ed Decker, and the Tanners, these days the Mopologists are going after fellow Latter-day Saints.

DCP's quote is quite revealing. "I only began posting links here to the Neville-Neville Land blog after I found out that he had repeatedly taken direct aim at me."
Is this how scholarship is supposed to work? If Never-Never land is a quality source of information, then why hasn't he been promoting it all along? His statement seems to reveal that he posted links to Neville-Neville Land in revenge, on the "first blood" philosophy. He seems to be saying that Neville-Neville land is a hatchet job, but that's what Neville gets for saying something he didn't like about him.
If he had the inclination, I’m sure Dr. Peterson could put an end to all of this. But he doesn’t and he won’t.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:46 pm

Some time ago, I wondered about the future of Mopologetics, and I asked who would be there to carry the torch once Daniel Peterson, Louis Midgley, John Gee, and the rest of the "old guard" had shuffled off their mortal coils, as it were.
I think Kwaku shall inherit the Dan Peterson role and Stephen Smoot shall be his Bill Hamblin. Unless a defective Dalek crash lands on the BYU campus, the Midgley unit shall not be replaced.

The Romelator gave way to Peter Pan after fully accepting a preference for show tunes. By way of historical reference, RFM would quote the lines, "Tick tock, tick tock! Hey boys and girls, it's Howdy Doody Time."
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

This thread has been a wellspring of valuable insights. Thank you for starting it, Doctor Scratch. And thanks to all the rest of you for your thought-provoking comments. Home run!!
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:18 am
Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:59 pm

Which is worse? Being wrong? Or being an asshole about it? Actually, the answer matters. I think, Doctor, herein we find the most irreducible theorem of Mopologetics -- a double negative is positive. If you are nice and wrong, you're wrong. If you're an asshole and wrong, 'tis all good.
I think you’re on to something, Dr. Moore, though Dr. Peterson would no doubt argue that Neville *is* an “asshole.” DCP has never specified what is was that Neville said or did exactly—so far as I know, anyhow—but he definitely seems to think that the key “value” of “Neville-Neville Land” lies in the fact that is basically functioning as retaliation for whatever it is that Neville allegedly “did” to DCP.
This is pretty thin skinned of DCP and Smoot. The worst Neville ever says is that the Mopologists are defending a wrong position, and states why the position is wrong. He may speculate that they're serving an institution, but that's the end of it. Smoot's ongoing tantrum toward Neville is so wholly disproportionate, I don't think I have seen its equal, including the most petulant rants in the comments on SeN.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Sometimes Smoot confuses bombast with scholasticism.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:43 pm
Sometimes Smoot confuses bombast with scholasticism.
I think he has the mistaken notion of being valiant in his testimony or some such. They imagine they have to fight, they have to be mean, they have to act like Jesus militant, as if his overthrowing the money changers in the temple was the single only important act and action to follow Jesus with... :roll:
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

It's only a matter of time and Stephen will be one of us.

Doctor Scratch

Post by Doctor Scratch »

You sort of have to wonder what recourse the Heartlanders have. For example, can they take legal action? The Mopologists--DCP in particular--used to be very fond of threatening lawsuits. And if the Heartlanders chose to sue Smoot and DCP for defamation, DCP wouldn't have BYU to pay his legal fees this time around: he would have to pay the fees himself. It would basically destroy his ability to travel during his retirement. Given that, perhaps he should re-think his support for "Neville-Neville Land"?

They could also go the FAIR route and contact Smoot and DCP's ecclesiastical leaders. Longtime readers will probably recall that Scott Gordon of FAIR went after David Twede by "ratting" him out to the SCMC, or some other Church disciplinary arm. I don't think there can be any doubt that the SCMC is keeping a close eye on both "Neville-Neville Land" and "Sic et Non." The Mopologists are literally trying to tear down the Heartlander's faith. If anyone amongst SLC leadership is paying attention, you would think that this would be cause for concern.

Further, as I understand it, Meldrum and the Heartlanders have allies amongst the Brethren--notably the late Elder Boyd K. Packer, who championed Medlrum's work and intervened when Midgley tried to get it removed from Deseret Book. The Mopologists accuse the Heartlanders of trying to "undermine" the modern apostles, but bear in mind that Midgley publicly said that the Mopologists were sitting around and **waiting for Elder Mark E. Petersen TO DIE** so that they could publicize the LGT. Talk about disrespect and steadying the ark!

Again, it's worth pointing out: the Heartlanders have tried to make peace and clear the air. In the face of that, the Mopologists doubled down and increased the viciousness of their attacks. It's clear who the aggressors are in this case.