Source of Egyptian Material from Tamas Mekis

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
hauslern
Bishop

Source of Egyptian Material from Tamas Mekis

Post by hauslern »

I have hit a goldmine.

My online Egyptologist friend Tamas Mekis wrote the following in response to some of my inquiries sources which we can all access.

Dear Noel,

As far as I know, the analogies of the scenes that I sent to you are all available in the Germen database:
http://totenbuch.awk.nrw.de//

If you click on the link and you register yourself, you will have access to a fuller view and you may browse among the photos of the papyri collected worldwide. In each case the database gives an up-to-date bibliography as well.

The Louvre has also a new expanded research engine, if you write as keyword: Livre des respirations you will find excellent papyri with vignettes.
https://collections.louvre.fr/

Colleagues of the York University are absolutely right, Anubis used to keep a vessel which contains some ungent used for the mummification, I don't know of any instances where Anubis would keep a knife as Joseph Smith reconstructed the damaged papyrus.
(This is what the Egyptologists at York University sent me - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P1l ... HNVYg/edit )

As for the festivals, yes we have sources that not even the pharaoh had to dress in different clothes during the rituals, but even the divine statutes were clothed. There was also a priest called wardrober, who was responsible for dressing the statues of the gods in the temple.
(This is his response to my inquiry about Nibley and the sed festival)
dannyg43
Nursery

Re: Source of Egyptian Material from Tamas Mekis

Post by dannyg43 »

The closest thing the church has ever come to an official statement on the problems with the Book of Abraham was in the July 1988 issue of the Ensign Magazine. Granted, this article did not come from a General Authority. But the fact that the church published this in The Ensign comes close to an official statement. If this Ensign article is false, then that would mean church leaders allowed lies to be printed in the church's official publication
Fence Sitter
2nd Counselor

Post by Fence Sitter »

dannyg43 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:39 pm
The closest thing the church has ever come to an official statement on the problems with the Book of Abraham was in the July 1988 issue of the Ensign Magazine. Granted, this article did not come from a General Authority. But the fact that the church published this in The Ensign comes close to an official statement. If this Ensign article is false, then that would mean church leaders allowed lies to be printed in the church's official publication
Welcome.

There is the official church essay on the matter published in 2014 found here.

And Robert Ritner's devastating response to it which no longer seems to be available at Signature Books for some reason.
Chap
God

Post by Chap »

Fence Sitter wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:57 pm
dannyg43 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:39 pm
Welcome.

There is the official church essay on the matter published in 2014 found here.

And Robert Ritner's devastating response to it which no longer seems to be available at Signature Books for some reason.
You can still find it here:

https://oi.uchicago.edu/sites/oi.uchica ... inal-2.pdf
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
Mayan Elephant:
Not only have I denounced the Big Lie, I have denounced the Big lie big lie.