Desolate Son Tal Bachman

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Desolate Son Tal Bachman

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Binger wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:50 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:17 pm
Dr. Moore: do you think that DCP was sincere? There is a part of me that thinks he may have been, but there is another part that believes that he intended to rip you off all along. I’d say there is a pretty good chance that he was privately high-giving his “Interpreter” compatriots over taking money out of an “apostate’s” pocket.
… I have not read …
Naturally.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:15 am
Binger wrote:

… I have not read …
Naturally.

- Doc
Since you read the contract, I am sure you can allow us all to read it as well.
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Dr. Moore: do you think that DCP was sincere? There is a part of me that thinks he may have been, but there is another part that believes that he intended to rip you off all along. I’d say there is a pretty good chance that he was privately high-giving his “Interpreter” compatriots over taking money out of an “apostate’s” pocket.
He did sign a nice picture. https://old.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... otoshoped/
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Binger wrote:
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Did anyone represent to Dr. Daniel C. Peterson that this board would continue to speak of him with the same tone and consistency as was done prior to the cash exchange? The way the contract appears to be presented is that this board would continue to track him and critique him and, in exchange for a Benjamin or two, neither he nor members of his forum would respond or react. Neither, according to the terms, would Dr. Peterson or anyone that he could moderate initiate criticism of this board as part of the agreement to accept some of that fat cash. While that could be described as a broken contract, it could also be just an old fashioned hustle. I don't know though. I was not there and I have not read the contract.
How much is Daniel paying you to carry water for him? $1 a liter?

Surely you can't be doing it for free (and yes I am calling you Shirley)
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

It is a very curious description. He agreed to take money and not speak poorly of this board. Though, this board made no agreement to moderate members to prevent them from speaking poorly of him. Do I have that correct?
How or why would "this board" make an agreement not to talk about the biggest subject in Mopologetics when Dr. Moore is giving money to somebody else?

Dr. Moore was clearly representing himself only, and was very new to this board at the time. Nobody could possibly think he was implying this board would restrict its speech about anything.

A bit of background - DCP has more than once said he wasn't going to engage with people on this board anymore. In fact, this recurring New Years resolution allegedly had something to do with booting all the known contributors from here off of SeN, around the same time. I can't recall if it was slightly before or after the deal. His constant lurking over here has halted 9 books from being published. He has good reason to drop not just this board, but critics in the comment section of SeN and put his energy into other things. This is something he'd talked about doing many times, he has positive incentives to, he clearly at some level has wants to, and then a big contribution to Interpreter to finalize it once and for all? A perfect way out.
Binger
God
Location: That's the difference. I actually have a Blue Heeler

Post by Binger »

Gadianton wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:37 am
It is a very curious description. He agreed to take money and not speak poorly of this board. Though, this board made no agreement to moderate members to prevent them from speaking poorly of him. Do I have that correct?
How or why would "this board" make an agreement not to talk about the biggest subject in Mopologetics when Dr. Moore is giving money to somebody else?

Dr. Moore was clearly representing himself only, and was very new to this board at the time. Nobody could possibly think he was implying this board would restrict its speech about anything.

A bit of background - DCP has more than once said he wasn't going to engage with people on this board anymore. In fact, this recurring New Years resolution allegedly had something to do with booting all the known contributors from here off of SeN, around the same time. I can't recall if it was slightly before or after the deal. His constant lurking over here has halted 9 books from being published. He has good reason to drop not just this board, but critics in the comment section of SeN and put his energy into other things. This is something he'd talked about doing many times, he has positive incentives to, he clearly at some level has wants to, and then a big contribution to Interpreter to finalize it once and for all? A perfect way out.
I agree with you, as strange as that may seem. If your point is that this board would not and did not make such an agreement, on that we agree. There is no way or reason for this board to agree to comply with that. Everything you are suggesting or describing makes the whole damn thing look like a hustle.

I have no opinion on his motivations or incentives. The dude is too strange for me to even begin to understand his motives. Your opinions of his motivations and incentives may be spot on, or off. Hell if I know.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Your memory is correct, Dean Robbers. At no point ever did the behavior of members of this board factor into my deal with Dan Peterson. Moreover, HE explicitly acknowledged that he expected no change in behavior from members of this board.