Brian Stubbs Uto-Aztecan/Egyptian (implying Reformed Egyptian) parallels - Book Review

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Brian Stubbs Uto-Aztecan/Egyptian (implying Reformed Egyptian) parallels - Book Review

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:08 pm
This is an excellent read. Anyone interested in tucking this feather in their cap for reference or sharing needs to bookmark it (and read it, of course).

- Doc
It is! And another truly incredibly powerful read is the source Drumdude "drummed up" - :D
http://nahuatlstudies.blogspot.com/2019 ... n.html?m=1
drumdude
God

Re: Brian Stubbs Uto-Aztecan/Egyptian (implying Reformed Egyptian) parallels - Book Review

Post by drumdude »

I found it on the following reddit thread. Some interesting follow-up posts from some of the redditors there (take them with a grain of salt):

Bogdan-Denisovich wrote:I've done graduate work in linguistics and I am honestly not convinced.

The "1528 total connections" aren't all from some hypothetical "Uto-Aztec" proto-language - they're from the various native languages spoken between Oregon and Guatemala. Stubbs took a word in Egyptian, Arabic or Hebrew (which are also all distinct although they're in the same language family) and then looked for a similar-sounding word in any of the dozens of Native American languages. Even then his connections are often a stretch: he tried to match "pea" in Egyptian to the word for "acorn" in a random native American language.

This technique is unhelpful because you can do it with any two language families in the world and come up with similar results. The Japanese word for "see" is "miru" and the Spanish word for "look" is "mirar" - 1499 more parallels and I can claim that the Romans settled Japan.

Sorry, just my two cents.
nofreetouchies2 wrote:I'm not an expert, but I am a scholar, majored in linguistics with the emphasis on historical linguistics, and am a believing Latter-Day Saint. Hansen's critiques seem completely valid to me.

With Stubbs comparing 13 Uto-Aztecan languages and 7 Semitic languages, he has introduced an incredible number of false cognates. Finding 1500 potential cognates in that enormous corpus is a lot of work, but it's not science. And that it's only 1500 is utterly unconvincing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/latterdaysaint ... uld_be_up/
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

DP wrote:Don Ormsby: "Could you post a Zoom link to your talks? Thanks!"

I don't always know beforehand that there's going to be one. I didn't in Calgary, for example. But some other Alberta stakes in and beyond Calgary itself asked to be allowed "in," and apparently the online audience was considerably bigger than the reasonably large in-house audience.

Out here encamped in a meadow, there is a speaker system, but no Zoom and no PowerPoint. I'm speaking to their sacrament meeting in about an hour, too, and then to the two Cardston stakes this evening at around 7 PM. Whether there will be Zoom or anything of that sort there, I don't know.
Ha! Dan is a little miffed that he wasn't able to lie off camera.