Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Tom
Area Authority

Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

Post by Tom »

A friend of mine from Cardston has informed me that Dr. Peterson is speaking tonight (Sunday, July 17) in Cardston on the topic of navigating crises of faith.

Time: 7 pm MDT
Link: https://zoom.us/j/92940294365?fbclid=Iw ... 28#success

Refreshments will follow:

Open poutine bar (all-you-can-eat with a huge variety of fries, cheeses, sauces, and condiments)
Doughnut bar (catered by Jelly Modern; I recommend the Madagascar bourbon vanilla ones)

Posted from somewhere in the middle of nowhere, halfway between the wrong side of the tracks and the wrong side of the bed
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
malkie
God

Re: Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

Post by malkie »

I call "Fake News" on your report, Tom.

Any respectable and self-respecting organization in Canada would have Tim Hortons supply the doughnuts.

Oh, wait, ... :D
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Tom
Area Authority

Re: Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

Post by Tom »

Yea, Jelly Modern is the “only true and living” “original gourmet doughnut bakery café” upon the face of the whole province, with which Albertans are well pleased, speaking about Albertans collectively and not individually.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Tom wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:05 pm
Yea, Jelly Modern is the “only true and living” “original gourmet doughnut bakery café” upon the face of the whole province, with which Albertans are well pleased, speaking about Albertans collectively and not individually.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

malkie wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:45 pm
I call "Fake News" on your report, Tom.

Any respectable and self-respecting organization in Canada would have Tim Hortons supply the doughnuts.

Oh, wait, ... :D
LOL.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

How about Dan’s crisis of integrity? Would love to reach out to those attending this fireside, so that the question can be asked to Daniel: “why did you agree not to trash talk the Mormon Discussions board and its people, and moderate similar bad talk by your guests, in exchange for a big donation to Interpreter, and then wholly go back on your word? Why did you choose to let your integrity slide instrad of just being nice as you promised?”
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Wow--quite crazy. Having Dr. Peterson deliver a talk on this topic is like asking Stalin to give a talk on how to be a good Communist. I wonder if he'll talk about how he was secretly recruited by the Strengthening Church Members Committee to interrogate some poor sap for *four hours*?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:34 pm
How about Dan’s crisis of integrity? Would love to reach out to those attending this fireside, so that the question can be asked to Daniel: “why did you agree not to trash talk the Mormon Discussions board and its people, and moderate similar bad talk by your guests, in exchange for a big donation to Interpreter, and then wholly go back on your word? Why did you choose to let your integrity slide instrad of just being nice as you promised?”
We tried tellin’ ya, man.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Tom
Area Authority

Post by Tom »

Has the Professor had a personal crisis of faith since he first read and prayed about Added Upon as a young teenager?

My own crisis of faith was resolved after I read four particular books:

Richard Lloyd Anderson, Investigating the Book of Mormon Witnesses (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1981). Next to the scriptures, this is the most faith-demoting book I’ve ever read.

John W. Welch, ed., Opening the Heavens: Accounts of Divine Manifestations, 1820–1844 (Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 2005).

Mark McConkie, ed., Remembering Joseph: Personal Recollections of Those Who Knew the Prophet Joseph Smith (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2003).

Grant Hardy, Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader’s Guide (New York: Oxford University Press, 2010).
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Tom wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 8:23 pm
Has the Professor had a personal crisis of faith since he first read and prayed about Added Upon as a young teenager?

My own crisis of faith was resolved after I read four particular books:

Richard Lloyd Anderson, Investigating the Book of Mormon Witnesses (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 1981). Next to the scriptures, this is the most faith-demoting book I’ve ever read.

John W. Welch, ed., Opening the Heavens: Accounts of Divine Manifestations, 1820–1844 (Provo, UT: Brigham Young University Press, 2005).

Mark McConkie, ed., Remembering Joseph: Personal Recollections of Those Who Knew the Prophet Joseph Smith (Salt Lake City: Deseret Book, 2003).

Grant Hardy, Understanding the Book of Mormon: A Reader’s Guide (New York: Oxford University Press, 2010).
Did it stay resolved, Tom? I know I am not entitled to that information, but I am curious.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow