Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Re: Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Tom,

What was it about Remembering Joseph: Personal Recollections of Those Who Knew the Prophet Joseph Smith that threw you for loop?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

Post by Philo Sofee »

That's very interesting Tom. It was Grant Hardy's book which was one of the shelf breakers for me...
Tom
Regional Representative

Post by Tom »

The fireside was billed as “a presentation focused on navigating through crises in faith.” One might say that the short Q&A at the end touched upon that topic. The main address, however, was on the Witnesses.
“But if you are told by your leader to do a thing, do it. None of your business whether it is right or wrong.” Heber C. Kimball, 8 Nov. 1857
msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

I would have enjoyed more Q&A. This is really the first thing of DCP’s I’ve ever watched.

Edited—
On second thought, more Q&A wouldn’t have made any difference.
Last edited by msnobody on Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Tom wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:51 am
The fireside was billed as “a presentation focused on navigating through crises in faith.” One might say that the short Q&A at the end touched upon that topic. The main address, however, was on the Witnesses.
ROTFLOL!!! Of course, of course. This has nothing to do with actual rank-and-file Latter-day Saints. It’s just yet another opportunity for Dan “The Huckster” Peterson to promote his vanity projects. How perfect: he’s figured out the perfect guilt-free way to rip people off. Best of all, they don’t even realize they’re getting screwed! And dig this, from the absolutely blood-curdling Daniel C. Peterson Priestcraft File:
we’re staying in a remarkably nice RV that has been very generously provided for us
Huh. Provided by the Church, I assume?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:34 pm
How about Dan’s crisis of integrity? Would love to reach out to those attending this fireside, so that the question can be asked to Daniel: “why did you agree not to trash talk the Mormon Discussions board and its people, and moderate similar bad talk by your guests, in exchange for a big donation to Interpreter, and then wholly go back on your word? Why did you choose to let your integrity slide instrad of just being nice as you promised?”
Dr. Moore,

I’m sorry that Daniel “The Huckster” Peterson lied to you and obtained your money under false pretenses.

You’re not the first person that Daniel “The Huckster” Peterson has lied to and fraudulently obtained funds from. Unfortunately, you will not be the last either.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:34 pm
How about Dan’s crisis of integrity?
Asking apologists not to attack others is like asking them to deny part of their core identity. You should have specified in that big chunk of money for them to concentrate on their victimhood instead. Even with this, their desire to attack would have emerged. You can't ask guerrilla war fighters to simply turn it off, even if they were banished from the Maxwell for that behavior.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

I love Daniel’s feigned shock, surprise and horror that critics would tune into his fireside that he promoted in his blog.

“They’ll be installing listening devices in my home next!”

No Daniel. We aren’t interested in any lies you tell your friends and family. But we are interested in ones you tell to an audience when you don’t know you’re being recorded.
hauslern
Bishop

Post by hauslern »

Some time ago because of what I had read on BYU scholar Royal Skousen's cv page where he considered the facsimiles with the Book of Abraham to have no value and should be dropped and considering the text of the Book of Abraham to have been given by revelation
https://humanities.byu.edu/wp-content/u ... -J2019.pdf see page 39.

by the way Dr Givens seems to have a similiar view.
Hi Noel
My views are pretty clearly laid out in my book, The Pearl of Greatest Price. In brief, leading LDS authorities and scholars all acknowledged as early as 1912 that JSs explanation of the facsimiles was not consistent with Egyptian scholarship. What came to be called the catalyst theory was put forward more than a century ago-- Joseph Smith produced something that was inspired, but it was likely not a straightforward translation of the papyri he was working with.

As for the future of the facsimiles, I cannot see the church moving away from their position, since the facsimiles and their "explanation" are part of canonized scripture.

Warm regards
Terryl
I like Terryl's honesty and kind response.

Dan did not like what I did

Royal:

Noel has misrepresented what I said. And I’ve said very, very little (and, even then, only a while ago and only in response to a specific question from him) about your view. I don’t presume to speak for you and would never do so.

A former member of the Church in Australia, Noel constantly writes to scholars in and out of the Church trying to get them to say things critical of Joseph Smith and the Restoration. He’s been at it for many years.

Dan

It has been my experience that the problems with the authenticity of the Book of Abraham has caused a faith crisis. No matter what DanP provides as evidences for the Book of Mormon there is plenty of material that shows the Book of Abraham if wrong. Folks like Skousen and Givens see the evidence and have latched onto the catalyst theory. What else could they do. In a response from Egyptologist for her opinion on a youtube video Kerry produced on the facsimiles she wrote "Yes, this looks like Dr. Muhlestein claiming that the Egyptian language and/or imagery say something that they do not say."

Was the standing figure in fac 1 holding a knife or a jar. An Egypyologist from York University in the UK in response to my inquiry what he thought Fac 1 was about sent this.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1P1l ... HNVYg/edit

Since I have no doubts about the Book of Abraham I do not intend to pester any scholars for their opinions. Tamis Mekis says that Gee and Kerry do fine work unrelated to the Book of Abraham.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Noel has misrepresented what I said. And I’ve said very, very little
This message could be automated.

Here's the guy being put up in expensive Hotels and RVs around the world and eating like a king to get the message of Mopologetics out, and he's "said very little" about any of it. Nobody has communicated the sum total of apologist theories to the more people of the Church than he has, but he's "said very, very little" about any of it. Oh, firesides aren't the place for deep dives. Neither are online venues. One day there will be 9+ books published that will explain all -- in carefully guarded language with lots of room for deniability.