Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Re: Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

Post by Dr Moore »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:20 am
Dr Moore wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:34 pm
How about Dan’s crisis of integrity? Would love to reach out to those attending this fireside, so that the question can be asked to Daniel: “why did you agree not to trash talk the Mormon Discussions board and its people, and moderate similar bad talk by your guests, in exchange for a big donation to Interpreter, and then wholly go back on your word? Why did you choose to let your integrity slide instrad of just being nice as you promised?”
Dr. Moore,

I’m sorry that Daniel “The Huckster” Peterson lied to you and obtained your money under false pretenses.

You’re not the first person that Daniel “The Huckster” Peterson has lied to and fraudulently obtained funds from. Unfortunately, you will not be the last either.
Well, I was well informed at the time and went into the "deal" with Dr. Peterson with eyes wide open.

As I said a DM with Dr. Scratch after he expressed concern that Dan would never hold to our deal, I was confident that one of two things would happen:

1) Dan Peterson would hold to his side of the deal, in which case it would be small price to pay for greater civility between the leader of Mopologetics and a venue comprising his favorite interlocutors and ideation muses,

--OR--

2) Dan Peterson would violate his side of the deal, in which case it would be small price to pay for clear cut evidence that he is every bit the liar critics accuse him of being, who prefers to insult those with differing beliefs more than he aspires to be honest.

In both cases, my donation was tax deductible and made in good faith. I have no regrets, despite option (2) having very clearly been the outcome.

It doesn't even make sense anymore to document to daily/weekly insults that continue to be lobbed from Dan's Sic et Non blog in the direction of this board. All he ever had to do was to send a message one time to his 2 blog friends - Midgley and Kiwi57 - to cease all bad talk about this board, forever, doing the same himself, and they would have readily complied with his wishes. Easy as that. Dan's the boss and those guys follow Dan's lead. Heck, they nanny Dan's blog for him every 10-15 minutes of every day! But no, instead Daniel Peterson chose to pretend at good behavior for a few weeks, then push closer and closer to the line until there was no noticeable distinction in language pre or post my deal with Dan.

It's sad, but no sadder than the many other instances I have since discovered about Dan's inability to grow or take accountability for his actions. He, and he alone, has proven his critics right.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

Post by Kishkumen »

Now we know something more about how much DCP values this board as a punching bag in monetary terms.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Maybe I’ve missed it. Has Dan openly discussed this deal on his blog?
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:33 pm
There was discussion of it a couple of years back: perhaps it was limited to the Comments section. In essence, If I recall correctly, Dr. Peterson threw away $10,000 that was earmarked for "Interpreter" just so he, Midgley, and Kiwi could continue lobbing insults at this board and its posters.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:36 pm
drumdude wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:33 pm
There was discussion of it a couple of years back: perhaps it was limited to the Comments section. In essence, If I recall correctly, Dr. Peterson threw away $10,000 that was earmarked for "Interpreter" just so he, Midgley, and Kiwi could continue lobbing insults at this board and its posters.
Correction. After he voiced initial concerns that I might just hold the money over his head and not pay if he went most of the way but missed some technicality, Dr. P and I settled on a smaller donation (half) in return for nothing but his good word to hold up his end of the deal for the long term, and this was extensively discussed between us in emails. His clear expression was that he expected no change in posting behavior here, and that he intended to ignore this board going forward. I’ve shared those emails previously. Since then, he has just gradually allowed more and more insulting talk into his blog. Now if you read the comments, and occasionally in the main text of his posts, the insults like “sewer” etc are back as if nothing happened. So he took a half size deal in return for his good word, and he absolutely did it in bad faith. Anyone who takes time to survey his blog and the history of our documented agreement will see that in black and white. Daniel C Peterson is an incorrigible, shameless liar.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Dr Moore wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:55 pm
Doctor Scratch wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:36 pm

Correction. After he voiced initial concerns that I might just hold the money over his head and not pay if he went most of the way but missed some technicality, Dr. P and I settled on a smaller donation (half) in return for nothing but his good word to hold up his end of the deal for the long term, and this was extensively discussed between us in emails. His clear expression was that he expected no change in posting behavior here, and that he intended to ignore this board going forward. I’ve shared those emails previously. Since then, he has just gradually allowed more and more insulting talk into his blog. Now if you read the comments, and occasionally in the main text of his posts, the insults like “sewer” etc are back as if nothing happened. So he took a half size deal in return for his good word, and he absolutely did it in bad faith. Anyone who takes time to survey his blog and the history of our documented agreement will see that in black and white. Daniel C Peterson is an incorrigible, shameless liar.
Devastating.
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Thanks for the correction, Dr. Moore. It seems clear that DCP engaged in full-blown mountebank behavior. “Mountebank,” by the way, is Prof. Peterson’s favorite descriptor for Ed Decker, and yet did Decker ever take someone’s money and then turn around and flip them off like this? It makes you wonder how many other times DCP has done this sort of thing, and it would also seem to indicate that he is worse than Ed Decker.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

In b4,

In a corner of the internet devoted to obsessively stalking me, it’s currently being claimed that I manipulated a donation from someone based on an agreement I made in bad faith. I apparently found time to do this between drowning puppies, punching nuns, and burning down orphanages -- all of which are naturally funded by the LDS Church and the illuminati.

Posted from sunny Guam.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:37 pm
In b4,

In a corner of the internet devoted to obsessively stalking me, it’s currently being claimed that I manipulated a donation from someone based on an agreement I made in bad faith. I apparently found time to do this between drowning puppies, punching nuns, and burning down orphanages -- all of which are naturally funded by the LDS Church and the illuminati.

Posted from sunny Guam.
10/10
Dr Moore

Post by Dr Moore »

The evidence speaks for itself. All he can do is make jokes and hope no one goes looking. I expect a full blown tantrum next.