Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:53 pm
The evidence speaks for itself. All he can do is make jokes and hope no one goes looking. I expect a full blown tantrum next.
I'm sure you're right, Dr. Moore. What would be truly astonishing--a sign from God, perhaps?--would be if he actually offered to give the money back. It will never happen: he's far too greedy and lacks the ability to admit when he's wrong, but it would be absolutely stunning, and a real credit to his basic morals, if he made such an offer.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Re: Navigating through crises of faith fireside tonight (Sun. 7/17) with Dr. Peterson

Post by Doctor Scratch »

Here’s a question I’ve been mulling over: Were the particulars of this deal ever communicated to Interpreter’s Board of Directors? You would think that they’d know about Dan Peterson’s instability and his penchant for stirring up drama, but we’re they informed about this? This was, if I am understanding Dr. Moore correctly, a $5,000 donation, which, for a rinky-dink operation like Interpreter is a significant donation. So, did DCP just say, “Uh, here’s this money from a donor”? Or did he tell the entire Board about the “deal” and explain to them that he blew an additional 5K? Does the Board have “bylaws,” and do those Bylaws—if they exist—provide a means for executing a “vote of no confidence” and removing the President from his position?
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr Moore wrote:It isn't a misreprentation that Doctor Peterson
(1) accepted a cash donation to Interpreter in exchange for his commitment to keep bad-mouthing of this message board off of his blog, Sic et Non
---and---
(2) has, for the past >18 months, allowed all types of bad-mouthing of this message board on his blog, Sic et Non

Both of those facts are easily demonstrable via public-domain web searches and archival sites. He entered a good faith contract and then proceeded to behave in incredibly bad faith.

He's claimed he can't be expected to moderate his own blog, but let's call that what it is -- a lie. Doctor Peterson is more active at moderating his own blog than he ever was at teaching or professional research. His own activity levels, which are also easily witnessed in the web history, shows an incredibly active, hours-per-day, blog owner and comment moderator.

He's claimed that somehow he doesn't have to keep his promise because some people at this message board will bad mouth him. But that wasn't in the agreement. In fact, he specifically noted no such expectation in the agreement. He wants to move the goal posts, but that's a dishonest dodge if ever there was one.

So not only is this particular skeleton "out of the closet," but rather than apologize and do better, he's chosen to stomp his feet and cry foul every time these facts are pointed out, acting like some sort of wronged child whose cereal box toy was unfairly taken away.
That's the only reference to the deal I can find in my cursory searches.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=153979&p=2741305
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

I also have been mulling over questions as I scratch at the stubble of my chin on this hot and dry summer evening. It's worth trying to understand why situations like these occur, independent of who is right or wrong. I think there's a clue in the granting of the spacious RV and endless delicious BBQ. I think people who are accustomed to getting pampered truly have difficulties comprehending obligations on their part. I think the mind interprets any benefit as a gift and really can't comprehend the giver as anything but jubilant in giving the gift, such as it were also with the wise men of the east bringing treasure to the Christ child. Did the wise men of the east have rules and expectations of the Christ child? Why would they? It's silly to even think it. So even though words are read that are contractual in nature, surely this donor is just happy to be able to say that he gave a gift that was accepted by somebody of such stature, who is taking time out of his schedule where he could be receiving other gifts, but instead, is graciously accepting this one.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:58 am
I think there's a clue in the granting of the spacious RV and endless delicious BBQ. I think people who are accustomed to getting pampered truly have difficulties comprehending obligations on their part.
I doubt Dr. Peterson asked for that boon. It was probably thrust upon him. For his part, he would have been content to spend the rest of his summer at Castle Wolfenstein and catching up with rare memorabilia from the war with a snifter of Fanta.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

I think old habits are hard to break. The mopes' modus operandi is to defend at whatever level they can get away with and Dr. P had to know deep down that the promise to play nice with his critics could not possibly be honored. So, he took what he could probably justifying his actions in the possible ambiguity of words and definitions thereof.

Also, with the church as his model he could justify his actions as well. They put on the tithing slip that they can do whatever they want with tithing and there isnt a damn thing anyone can do about it. The conditional gift doesn't exist when tithing is concerned and so Dr. P could have been thinking to himself that whatever agreement was made was made in this context.

Even so, I'm thinking that Dr. P was going to continue with his schticht regardless of whatever agreement was made. Critics must be dealt with and pity the person that got suckered into believing otherwise. Midgley goes halfway around the world to try and step in between a marriage for the sake of supporting his idiotic Maori narrative and Dr. P supports this behavior. Mopes gotta mope.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Moving to new thread as this derailed the OP about a DCP fireside (sorry!)
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

For all those interested:

The 2022 edition of the annual FAIR Conference is rapidly approaching. It will be held in Provo, Utah, on 3-5 August. We invite you to take part in the conference and, if possible, to do so in person. If you can’t come in person, though — and, strictly speaking, even if you can — streaming will be free this year because of a generous anonymous donation.

I'm sure we'll all be accused of malicious stalking once again simply for tuning in.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (38.09 KiB) Viewed 320 times
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

You have to wonder whether a combination of gamma rays and anger is sufficient to turn a college professor into an "Apologist".
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Beard (vs. mustache) is a really good look for Dr. Peterson.

As a fellow bare coconut bearded dude, I hereby grant it the Steussite blessing.