Joseph Smith's Picture emerges

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Joseph Smith's Picture emerges

Post by Moksha »

Here is the photo that the posters at the MD&D would rather be Joseph since it matches their vision of Joseph:

https://www.mormondialogue.org/topic/74 ... th/page/3/
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Rivendale
God

Post by Rivendale »

The photo is an image of a really rugged frontiersman, the face of intelligence, lips set in tremendous endurance and the eyes of love, compassion and visionary seer.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

There is a compelling argument with the portrait and photo used in that they both seem to have the scar of sorts above his left eye. I also thought the death mask overlays it felt like it fit better with Joseph's. Also it feels weird that Joseph's heirs would have a locket of Hyrum to pass down, but I am all for letting further experts look at it. An amazing thing to have even if it is Hyrum.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

The resemblance to the actor Dan picked for his "Witnesses" film is striking.
thumb_443A2256-8ADA-44B9-9043-F3097B880AC0.jpg
thumb_443A2256-8ADA-44B9-9043-F3097B880AC0.jpg (42.59 KiB) Viewed 501 times
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

He looks too old to be 38. The guy in the picture looks in his late 40's. However, some look a lot older than they are.

Anyway, I still feel compelled to give my daughter to this guy ... for some reason ....
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Exiled wrote:
Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:23 am
He looks too old to be 38. The guy in the picture looks in his late 40's. However, some look a lot older than they are.

Anyway, I still feel compelled to give my daughter to this guy ... for some reason ....
If the angel with the sword never showed up, you have nothing to fear in waiting for a bit...
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:12 pm
Here's a Reddit thread with a death mask overlay of sorts.

I dunno... to me, it looks more like Hyrum's.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... king_into/
Exactly.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Kish and Dr Steuss, I refer you to the snackable scholarship now published daily at TikTok.

https://www.tiktok.com/@scriptureplus/v ... 9880603947
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Both Juliann and Calm seem to support this new photo. Calm explains that Joseph looked older because he led a tough life and did not have time to moisturize.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Rollo Redux
Nursery

Post by Rollo Redux »

Dwight wrote:
Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:49 pm
There is a compelling argument with the portrait and photo used in that they both seem to have the scar of sorts above his left eye. I also thought the death mask overlays it felt like it fit better with Joseph's. Also it feels weird that Joseph's heirs would have a locket of Hyrum to pass down, but I am all for letting further experts look at it. An amazing thing to have even if it is Hyrum.
I too noticed the unique vertical crease between the eyes in both the painting and photo. That sealed it for me: a legit photo of Joseph. The real Joe was not nearly as boyishly handsome the Church likes to portray. He looks rather ordinary.