Is Robert Boylan Attempting to Profit from Apologetics?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
MsJack
Deacon

Re: Is Robert Boylan Attempting to Profit from Apologetics?

Post by MsJack »

I don't think there's a problem with Boylan (or anyone else) attempting a paid subscriber / content creator model. On the evangelical side, even prolific and well-known authors who are already full-time Bible professors like Scot McKnight and Michael F. Bird are accepting paid subscriptions on sites like Substack.

These things only become problems when people are clearly getting rich and living lavish lifestyles off of what they say is their labor for the Lord.

Of course, that's why the Mormon criticism of "priestcraft" was always overly broad to the extent of being comically inept. Criticizing the megachurch pastor with four homes and a dozen luxury cars is appropriate. Criticizing the guy who's just trying to find a way to do this full-time while still supporting his family is absurd. Guess which group most pastors and Christian ministry workers fall into?
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

MsJack wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:55 am
I don't think there's a problem with Boylan (or anyone else) attempting a paid subscriber / content creator model. These things only become problems when people are clearly getting rich and living lavish lifestyles off of what they say is their labor for the Lord.
Well, it looks like after begging and begging for money and subcribers, Robert Boylan only has 3 Patreon subscribers. He is making $31 per month:

https://patreon.com/ScripturalMormonism ... =join_link
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Bond
Star B

Post by Bond »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:29 am
MsJack wrote:
I don't think there's a problem with Boylan (or anyone else) attempting a paid subscriber / content creator model. These things only become problems when people are clearly getting rich and living lavish lifestyles off of what they say is their labor for the Lord.
Well, it looks like after begging and begging for money and subcribers, Robert Boylan only has 3 Patreon subscribers. He is making $31 per month:

His mom and dad are dropping $10/month each while grandma is flexing for $11/month.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

MsJack wrote:

You mean his delusions of granduer, unchecked ego, and miserable personality haven't brought in a rush of people willing to give him money to copy and paste more quotes onto his blog? How surprising...
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:29 am

Meanwhile, I just got my first honorarium, and my church is paying me for occasional preaching.

I think I'm going to like this priestcraft stuff! 8-)
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

MsJack wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 5:49 am
Meanwhile, I just got my first honorarium, and my church is paying me for occasional preaching.

I think I'm going to like this priestcraft stuff! 8-)
Congratulations! That’s exciting news!
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Physics Guy
God

Post by Physics Guy »

Does your church allow female ministers? A lot of conservative denominations don't allow women to be pastors or elders, but some will let women be deaconesses or something like that. If your people let you preach even once, that's at least a good sign.

The pastor of a church I used to attend once explained, as if it were a telling argument for something, that denominations which went down the slippery slope to liberalism often seemed to start out by ordaining women. I wouldn't be surprised if that were true. It's once you've cleaned up the worst mess in the room that you notice the other messes.
I was a teenager before it was cool.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Physics Guy wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:30 pm
Does your church allow female ministers?
The Quakers do not ordain anyone but have had women in leadership roles such as Recorded Minister since they first started in 1652.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace