There can be no evidence that Mormonism is false

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
drumdude
God

Re: There can be no evidence that Mormonism is false

Post by drumdude »

doubtingthomas wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:49 pm
drumdude wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:58 pm

By the way this is the proper way to respond to Daniel on his blog. It is similar to how you approach the Queen of England or the Pope.
And for nothing, because Dan P won't answer the questions.

I bet the comment will mysteriously disappear.
DT: "and can you please share the spiritual experience that convinced you that God is real?"

No. I don't share such experiences -- there isn't just one of them -- on demand. And I'm very unlikely to share any of them in any degree of detail in a blog post or on the internet.
I don’t blame him. It’s gotta be a doozy to believe something as insane as the Book of Mormon being historical.

If he had been born a Scientologist, he would believe just as strongly that L Ron Hubbard was correct. And that credulity is not something to be proud of, in my opinion.
doubtingthomas
God

Post by doubtingthomas »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:19 pm

I don’t blame him. It’s gotta be a doozy to believe something as insane as the Book of Mormon being historical.
I don't blame him either.
drumdude wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:19 pm
And that credulity is not something to be proud of, in my opinion.
Yep.

And he sounds happy :lol:
DT: "How are you today?"

I'm fine, and I hope that you're well, too.

DT: "I agree some of the critics twisted your words."

It's pretty much their standard operating procedure.

DT: "I think we should simply ignore the people who always attack you."

Overwhelmingly, I do. They post about me many times every single day. I respond to them occasionally.

Sometimes, their accusations against me are egregious enough that, in my judgment, I can't simply permit them to go into the online "record" without contradiction.

DT: "Are you open to the possibility that the church is not true?"

Of course. One should always allow for the possibility, even if only in theory, that one is wrong. But I'm confident that the Church's claims are true.

DT: "why do you believe in the church? "

Oh, that's a huge question. I've been writing and speaking about it for decades, and I'll continue elaborating on my reasons for belief as long as I'm capable of doing so.

DT: "and can you please share the spiritual experience that convinced you that God is real?"

No. I don't share such experiences -- there isn't just one of them -- on demand. And I'm very unlikely to share any of them in any degree of detail in a blog post or on the internet.
" I don't share such experiences"
I understand, Doctor. How would you scrutinize a spiritual revelation without sharing it? We humans have cognitive biases. We can all be fooled by our own biases. Are your spiritual experiences a feeling or something improbable that happens?
"One should always allow for the possibility"
Good! On a scale of 1 to 10, how confident are you that the church is true? 10 being "absolute certainty".
" I'll continue elaborating on my reasons for belief as long as I'm capable of doing so."
Please continue to do so. I suggest you try doing a Devil's advocate experiment.
Last edited by doubtingthomas on Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have the type of (REAL) job where I can choose how to spend my time," says Marcus. :roll:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:28 pm
How do these commenters even know what is being said here if Daniel doesn’t link to the forum?
Because Daniel is always truthful. There is no reason to check here for yourself, you can just follow the apologist along and be just fine with your intellectual truth and prowess. Why actually do the work necessary to actually learn the truth for yourself when Daniel does it for you? This is, after all, the essence of Mormonism, "trust us, we KNOW, and we have nothing to hide." All Mormons are taught to believe their own with what they proclaim. It is why robbing them and cheating them with MLM's is so very beautifully effective. And they still don't get it...
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

His post wasn’t serious. This is a guy who has consistently avoided serious debate about Mormonism’s truthfulness or believability. Whether it’s Bob McCue or Philip Jenkins (who, by the way, he dismisses as an “obsessive” yahoo), he has always been afraid to tackle this sort of thing. Blair Hodges was right: he’s a coward.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
toon
CTR B

Post by toon »

I know you simply can't put on a legal hat with these things, but under the federal rules, evidence is relevant if:

(a) it has any tendency to make a fact more or less probable than it would be without the evidence; and

(b) the fact is of consequence in determining the action.

I actually think that's a good rule of thumb for many arena outside of the courtroom, If he's really saying that, then I have a difficult time as a nonbeliever accepting that he has anything of value to add to the conversation.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:17 am
His post wasn’t serious. This is a guy who has consistently avoided serious debate about Mormonism’s truthfulness or believability. Whether it’s Bob McCue or Philip Jenkins (who, by the way, he dismisses as an “obsessive” yahoo), he has always been afraid to tackle this sort of thing. Blair Hodges was right: he’s a coward.
GO TO HELL! (plagiarizing Daniel C. Peterson for the first time - YEAHHHHHH BABYYYYYYYYYY!!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Daniel C. Peterson

LOL! Yeah, no one in Jesus' day did either. No one in early Mormonism ever did. In fact, it is best to keep all spiritual information to oneself, but demand others believe you anyway without any evidence. :roll: One very good thing about it, Peterson is right in lock step with today's Apostles who also refuse to verify Jesus as real because it's too sacred. Oh for a Peter or a Paul in Mormonism, but I waste my time digressing...
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Have no past LDS prophets provided a testable test of falsehood to followers? Asking for a friend.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:59 am
Have no past LDS prophets provided a testable test of falsehood to followers? Asking for a friend.
Prayer, it always comes down to it. But, and here is the catch... the leadership determines when a prayer is truthful and when it isn't. They say how the Holy Ghost will feel or what it will testify of and testify to, anything else isn't the Holy Ghost. It's a perfect brainwash setup.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

toon wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 12:41 am
I know you simply can't put on a legal hat with these things, but under the federal rules, evidence is relevant if:

(a) it has any tendency to make a fact more or less probable than it would be without the evidence; and

(b) the fact is of consequence in determining the action.

I actually think that's a good rule of thumb for many arena outside of the courtroom, If he's really saying that, then I have a difficult time as a nonbeliever accepting that he has anything of value to add to the conversation.
in my opinion, this legal definition of evidence is one of those legal concepts that is extremely useful outside of its legal context.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.