the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
User avatar
Moksha
God
Posts: 3553
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:13 am
Location: Koloburbia

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by Moksha »

drumdude wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:53 pm
They just happen to be boomers ...
Midgley comes from the generation before the baby boomers. Some called it the Silent Generation, although I think they referred to themselves as the Flappers.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
drumdude
God
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:29 am

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by drumdude »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:04 am
drumdude wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:53 pm
They just happen to be boomers ...
Midgley comes from the generation before the baby boomers. Some called it the Silent Generation, although I think they referred to themselves as the Flappers.
So old that for the majority of his life black Mormons couldn’t get sealed together in the temple.
Marcus
God
Posts: 1933
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:44 pm

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by Marcus »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:52 am
I’m going to look into setting up a blog that documents the entirety of my $ deal with Dan Peterson. It seems that’s the last option available to encourage him to live up to his commitment. I would include all of the emails, in their totality, the money transfer details, and all of the posts and messages he and I have made publicly regarding the agreements. It’s just absolutely pathetic to see him prattling around like the old days, pretending our deal no longer exists. If that’s going to be his approach, then let history have a complete documentation of his bad faith.
did you see this, from another thread?
doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:36 am

DanielPeterson 7 minutes ago

Not a chance. Thanks, though, for the kind invitation.

I participated there for several years, mostly responding to personal attacks and misrepresentations. My participation accomplished absolutely nothing. Except perhaps exasperating me.

So, one day, I simply walked quietly away. And I've never regretted it, not even for a single minute.

At least one or two of the more reasonable participants assured me that, if I left, my most obsessive critics there would eventually grow bored and forget about me. However, I was confident that that wasn't true and my confidence has been proven justified. In all the years since I left, there hasn't (so far as I'm aware) been a single day when several of the most active threads haven't been about moi.

P.S. From my perspective, I've kept my agreement with "Dr. Moore." In all candor, his recently expressed indignation over my supposed violation of it has caught me entirely by surprise. Feel free to share that with your friends there.

Best wishes to you.
that is ....unbelievable.
User avatar
Rivendale
Stake President
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:21 pm

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by Rivendale »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:00 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:52 am
I’m going to look into setting up a blog that documents the entirety of my $ deal with Dan Peterson. It seems that’s the last option available to encourage him to live up to his commitment. I would include all of the emails, in their totality, the money transfer details, and all of the posts and messages he and I have made publicly regarding the agreements. It’s just absolutely pathetic to see him prattling around like the old days, pretending our deal no longer exists. If that’s going to be his approach, then let history have a complete documentation of his bad faith.
did you see this, from another thread?
doubtingthomas wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:36 am
that is ....unbelievable.
I don't understand why believers are shy to share spiritual experiences. Aren't christians commanded to? Wouldn't it help to convert people? Or are they really deep down ashamed because they know it is ridiculous?
User avatar
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation
Posts: 1208
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:16 pm
Location: Cassius University

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by Dr Moore »

I would like to see Dan refrain from using insulting references to this board, as he agreed. Phrases such as “sewer,” “swamp,” “hate board,” “Peterson Obsession Board,” and “scumbag central” obviously, OBVIOUSLY, fall under the agreed to behavior. As do other similar tokens of insult, which he is so capable of wordsmithing.

I would like to see Dan convincingly ask his regulars to help him with keeping his promise. And I would like to see Dan moderate (ie remove) the insulting comments about this board made by his guests, especially his regular guests like Midgley, McGregor, Ideeho - he knows who they are and the will listen if he asks sincerely. Now, going forward, and also for the DOZENS of violating example posts which have been posted by me and others.

Until then, say whatever, but Dan is lying to himself and others if he claims to be keeping his agreement with me. It’s just lying, pretending, bad faith lying.
Marcus
God
Posts: 1933
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:44 pm

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by Marcus »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:14 pm
I would like to see Dan refrain from using insulting references to this board, as he agreed. Phrases such as “sewer,” “swamp,” “hate board,” “Peterson Obsession Board,” and “scumbag central” obviously, OBVIOUSLY, fall under the agreed to behavior. As do other similar tokens of insult, which he is so capable of wordsmithing.

I would like to see Dan convincingly ask his regulars to help him with keeping his promise. And I would like to see Dan moderate (ie remove) the insulting comments about this board made by his guests, especially his regular guests like Midgley, McGregor, Ideeho - he knows who they are and the will listen if he asks sincerely. Now, going forward, and also for the DOZENS of violating example posts which have been posted by me and others.

Until then, say whatever, but Dan is lying to himself and others if he claims to be keeping his agreement with me. It’s just lying, pretending, bad faith lying.
seriously. i can't believe he actually wrote "from my perspective, i've kept my agreement with Dr. Moore." that's so obviously not true.
User avatar
Doctor CamNC4Me
God
Posts: 5120
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:04 am

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Hands down, the most deceitful people I’ve ever met are Mormons. Sure there are good Mormons, but man those ones are few and far between. Nothing about Mormonism, especially the Utah-based conservative iteration, produces a consistent batch of honest people. Most Mormons are what they are behind the veneer of religiosity. And if that’s the case, Mormonism isn’t a transformative vehicle for the human soul, but rather a philosophical crutch and a shield against reason.

Dan Peterson is a case study of ^

- Doc
1. Speech is aggression.
2. Every utterance has a winner or a loser.
3. Curiosity is feigned.
4. Lying is performative.
5. Stupidity is power.
drumdude
God
Posts: 2563
Joined: Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:29 am

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by drumdude »

Marcus wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 5:28 pm
Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 3:14 pm
I would like to see Dan refrain from using insulting references to this board, as he agreed. Phrases such as “sewer,” “swamp,” “hate board,” “Peterson Obsession Board,” and “scumbag central” obviously, OBVIOUSLY, fall under the agreed to behavior. As do other similar tokens of insult, which he is so capable of wordsmithing.

I would like to see Dan convincingly ask his regulars to help him with keeping his promise. And I would like to see Dan moderate (ie remove) the insulting comments about this board made by his guests, especially his regular guests like Midgley, McGregor, Ideeho - he knows who they are and the will listen if he asks sincerely. Now, going forward, and also for the DOZENS of violating example posts which have been posted by me and others.

Until then, say whatever, but Dan is lying to himself and others if he claims to be keeping his agreement with me. It’s just lying, pretending, bad faith lying.
seriously. i can't believe he actually wrote "from my perspective, i've kept my agreement with Dr. Moore." that's so obviously not true.
Daniel is speaking his truth.

He’s very progressive.
User avatar
DrStakhanovite
Teacher
Posts: 269
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:55 pm
Location: Cassius University

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by DrStakhanovite »

huckelberry wrote:
Mon Aug 01, 2022 10:27 pm
When I click the link I get the title page blocked by a square asking me to input my email address and get constant updates. I don't think so. I would have to be pretty bored to wish to read Midgley complaints, But here I am reading Marcus complaint about Midgley complaint. So here we are on the got bored and had to talk about Peterson again board.
screen shot of what you would have seen:

Image

and the text (bolding in orginal):
Louis Midgley wrote:All those many years ago, when my wife and I returned from our wonderful missionary endeavors in New Zealand--well, actually in Auckland, except when we travelled, which we did, when the universities in Auckland were closed in the summer, we were jolted to see the huge number of very expensive home being built and also occupied when we made the trip from the Airport in SLC to Edgemont at the north end of Provo.

Then we made contact with a couple who had been assisting at a center on the west side of SLC. The building, now being used by the Church of Jesus Christ to gather needed provisions for emergencies, was once used to manufacture bullets, or rounds, or whatever the proper terminology is that were used during WW II. It occupies a city block. It cost our government many millions of dollars to construct that thing. There is a solid essay on that venture by Tom Alexander and Leonard Arrington entitled "Utah's Small Arms Ammunition Plant during World War Two," Pacific Historical Quarterly 34/2 (1965): 185-196.

This building how is used by the Church of Jesus Christ for welfare endeavors. It now employs people who really need an income and at least one really good meal a day. That huge building has now been transformed into a place where truly wonderful things take place. Those folks prepare all kinds of items that the Church of Jesus Christ then sends to those in dire need as a result of some event somewhere in the world. Every other day those people are also taught English as part of their employment. And no one asks if they are members of the Church of Jesus Christ.

This wonderful experience took some of the sting out of seeing all those huge fancy homes we could not avoid observing that day late in November 2000 when we returned from those two wonderful years in New Zealand.

I wonder what those folks on the Peterson Hate Board will now have to say about this comment, since I am told that they pounce on every comment looking for something to justify their own apostasy.
My "pounce" will be a simple image, taken from 'Together' magazine circa 1962.

Image
Image
doubtingthomas
God
Posts: 1465
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:04 pm

Re: the "Hate Board" that lives in Midgley's head, courtesy of apostasy.

Post by doubtingthomas »

Rivendale wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:11 pm

I don't understand why believers are shy to share spiritual experiences. Aren't christians commanded to? Wouldn't it help to convert people? Or are they really deep down ashamed because they know it is ridiculous?
Peterson knows damn well it's ridiculous. Look what he said,

"How do you know your spiritual experiences are not the result of some cognitive bias?"

We all have cognitive biases -- you and I and everyone else -- on all sorts of issues. Ideally, we try to correct for them, we try to be intellectually honest and balanced, and so forth. There's no magic bullet, no simple formula
He dodged the question by saying there's no simple formula.
Post Reply