Boy Scouts Ruling Threatens $250 Million Abuse Deal With Mormons

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
BeNotDeceived
Priest

Boy Scouts Ruling Threatens $250 Million Abuse Deal With Mormons

Post by BeNotDeceived »

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/boy-scou ... 07713.html

(Bloomberg) -- The Boy Scouts of America may be forced to cut $250 million from its proposal to set up a trust fund for sex abuse victims after a judge rejected a key provision of a deal the youth group signed with The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

The complex ruling by US Bankruptcy Court Judge Laurie Silverstein forces the Boy Scouts to return to the bargaining table with some of the groups funding the $2.7 billion fund, including the religious group known colloquially as the Mormon church.

Silverstein handed the Boy Scouts a partial victory Friday when she rejected arguments that a settlement with abuse survivors was not negotiated in good faith. The judge did not give final approval to the proposed trust fund plan, however, instead she rejected a number of key provisions. One example is Silverstein’s refusal to grant the church a so-called third party release that would have given the church broad legal protections from all sex abuse claims, not just those involving the Boy Scouts.

Justice!
drumdude
God

Re: Boy Scouts Ruling Threatens $250 Million Abuse Deal With Mormons

Post by drumdude »

$250 million is probably the ballpark figure for how much money the church makes in an average month.

Glad to see them holding on to it for dear life. It will come in handy during the second coming which is just around the corner any day now… any day..
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The order is over 200 pages long. The part addressing the LDS portion of the settlement starts on page 168. The problem is created by the fact that victims who were members of LDS Scout troops allege abuse against the same perpetrator(s) in the context of scouting activities and in other church contexts. The plan proposed that the LDS church get a release for all claims of use as long as they included a scouting related claim. The judge questioned her jurisdiction to release claims of abuse outside of the scouting context and, while she stated that $250 million was adequate for a release of only the scouting related abuse, it was not enough compensation for the abuse outside of the scouting context. Here's a link: https://www.tccbsa.com/_files/ugd/c1f98 ... bd0f41.pdf

I think this gives the church a few options. It could agree to the more limited release. It could up its contribution to account for abuse claim by those claiming abuse in both scouting and non scouting contexts, or it can decline to participate and face lawsuits from the other parties contributing to the settlement.

Not a good day for the LDS church.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Dr Moore
Endowed Chair of Historical Innovation

Post by Dr Moore »

Makes total sense for the church to seek indemnification against non-scouting abuse, but that is a freebie that should never be given away so lightly. The church commingled scouts with YM programs and should be held separately liable for abuse that occurred due to that heightened contact and trust with YM leaders. Good call by this judge.

I posted some time back, that I heard a decade long tally approaching $4billion paid out to settle abuse claims across the church. Their sneaky attempt to smuggle indemnification for YM-linked abuse suggests to me they know, from experience, how much larger the tab will eventually run compared with that $250 million paid in for the scouts settlement.
consiglieri
Prophet

Post by consiglieri »

Having God for a client must be a real pain in the ass.
malkie
God

Post by malkie »

consiglieri wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:35 pm
Perhaps God would be better off going pro se?

Let's see if we can get him in a court room.
You can help Ukraine by talking for an hour a week!! PM me, or check www.enginprogram.org for details.
Слава Україні!, 𝑺𝒍𝒂𝒗𝒂 𝑼𝒌𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒊!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

malkie wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:54 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Perhaps God would be better off going pro se?

Let's see if we can get him in a court room.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
ONLY if He doesn't want to be the judge...
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:02 pm
Makes total sense for the church to seek indemnification against non-scouting abuse, but that is a freebie that should never be given away so lightly. The church commingled scouts with YM programs and should be held separately liable for abuse that occurred due to that heightened contact and trust with YM leaders. Good call by this judge.

I posted some time back, that I heard a decade long tally approaching $4billion paid out to settle abuse claims across the church. Their sneaky attempt to smuggle indemnification for YM-linked abuse suggests to me they know, from experience, how much larger the tab will eventually run compared with that $250 million paid in for the scouts settlement.
I agree. The scope of the release should reflect the price. And I think the judge's opinion that $250M was reasonable for a scout-activity was sensible. I don't get the impression from the opinion that the judge thought the church was trying to sneak something past her. There's an army of lawyers on this bankruptcy flyspecking everything, so I doubt the church thought they were getting away with anything. They just didn't throw enough into the kitty for what they asked for.
he/him

Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

consiglieri wrote:
No kidding. The SOB rewrites attorney bills. And always with fewer hours and lower rates. Do not recommend.
he/him

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr Moore wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:02 pm
Makes total sense for the church to seek indemnification against non-scouting abuse, but that is a freebie that should never be given away so lightly.
Sounds like something the Australian Tax Dodge Committee at Kirton McConkie devised.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace